Navigation Bypass Procedure No Longer Works!

I have 2006 GS430 with navigation version 4.1

I recently inserted 7.1 disk and all the maps worked fine. I then reverted back to my 4.1 disk and discovered that

the navigation bypass procedure (volume-> tap up/down/up/down->override) no longer works! Do I need to "reboot"

my nav system, and if so, how???

Thanks for any help,

Michael

I just bought a 2008 Rx350 and read on the ClubLexus forum that “corner tapping” method to bypass the navigation lockout doesn’t work on newer models or new versions of the software. I also read that there is a wire cutting method that works but those instruction were for a 2006 GS. Does anybody know if the wire cutting method works for 2008 Rx350? If so, could you provide the instructions that have been verified on this car? Many thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...
I just bought a 2008 Rx350 and read on the ClubLexus forum that “corner tapping” method to bypass the navigation lockout doesn’t work on newer models or new versions of the software. I also read that there is a wire cutting method that works but those instruction were for a 2006 GS. Does anybody know if the wire cutting method works for 2008 Rx350? If so, could you provide the instructions that have been verified on this car? Many thanks!!

I pulled the fuse for navigation for a few minutes and it helped "reboot" it. I could again get into the override screen.

I then went on to explore other options and made a stupid mistake of selecting a "load program" option and choosing US....

Well, now the navigation system does not even recognize the navigation disk and displays a message "insert correct disk" and a bunch of japanese characters... I read on clublexus forums that navigation ECU needs to be reset which requires taking the ECU box apart and taking one of the boards out to get to the switch. Needless to say I am not going to mess with it myself. Took it to my Lexus dealer, they are totally clueless. Called me the next day and said that they need to order a new navigation ECU and navigation disk.... good thing I am still under warranty, ECU itself is like a 4K part.

• 2 weeks later...
i believe all you need to do is disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes then reconnect it. this should purge the old software thats loaded into the comp and load the new one (your old cd)

nope, does not work. Nav ECU retains the settings.

My dealer ended up replacing the whole Nav ECU and also gave me new version 7 maps DVD at no charge.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently inserted 7.1 disk and all the maps worked fine. I then reverted back to my 4.1 disk and discovered that

the navigation bypass procedure (volume-> tap up/down/up/down->override) no longer works! Do I need to "reboot"

Thanks for any help,

Michael

Sorry I am new to the Forum I have a 2006 GS300 AWD W/Nav should I be aware of something concerning My Navigational.

Thanks for any help,

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

LOL, they replaced your nav after you messed around with it? Wow.

Does the override work now? I believe it's disabled in 7.1 from what I've read. You can't lower the software setting simply by rebooting. Once it's upgraded to 7.1, you probably need to enable some setting to allow it to downgrade to 5.1.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the override work now? I believe it's disabled in 7.1 from what I've read. You can't lower the software setting simply by rebooting. Once it's upgraded to 7.1, you probably need to enable some setting to allow it to downgrade to 5.1.

No, the override does not work with 7.1. I was going to try and burn hybrid 4.1/7.1 and 5.1/7.1 disks and try both.

Will keep you posted.

No, the override does not work with 7.1. I was going to try and burn hybrid 4.1/7.1 and 5.1/7.1 disks and try both.

Will keep you posted.

You are confusing two different things. 7.1, 6.1, 5.1 etc. are map versions and not hardware versions of the Navigation system. Which system you have depends upon the year model. Current 08 models are using generation 5.5 or 5. A generation 4 nav system can be overridden but a gen 5 or newer can not. A gen 3 did not have the override but a gen 2 system would override if you went to the overview screen and pulled the data up 3 times.

• 2 weeks later...

Will keep you posted.

You are confusing two different things. 7.1, 6.1, 5.1 etc. are map versions and not hardware versions of the Navigation system. Which system you have depends upon the year model. Current 08 models are using generation 5.5 or 5. A generation 4 nav system can be overridden but a gen 5 or newer can not. A gen 3 did not have the override but a gen 2 system would override if you went to the overview screen and pulled the data up 3 times.

I have an 04 GS430 with the latest Nav version 7.1. Can anyone show me how to bypass the Nav system to let me change the screen while in motion please.