Replacing 96 Es300 Brakes And Shocks

cnstarz

first off, brakes. i dont know much them, and therefore dont know if the stock brakes are disc or drum or both. is replacing them something better left to the dealer or midas, or is it something i can do myself like changing the oil? and where's the best place to buy the parts?

and now shocks. i dont know anything about shocks either, but i didn't want to just go to the dealer and pay loads of money when i can save lots of money. anyways, the reason why im wanting(or thinking, actually) of replacing them is because when i drive, and go over bumps, it sounds like dried out plastic crunching. and the ride isn't so smooth as other lexus' that i have ridden in. the car seems to...bounce a lot. it doesn't bump like a small compact, it bounces, a lot. sometimes i get scared that the wheel well is gonna hit and rub on the tires cuz it bounces so much. so im thinking its the shocks, but as said earlier, i dont know much so it could just be as simple as replacing the tires. do you guys think its something to replace the shocks over? if so, can i do it myself? where should i buy parts at?

thanks for your input. :D

well, you do need struts, should be around 500 bucks in the front.

Brakes are easy, they are all disk and can be bought at any parts store...or off line. there is two bolt that hold the pads onto the caliper, remove and replace!! Get the 94 repair manual from the "pinned" section.

well, you do need struts, should be around 500 bucks in the front.

Brakes are easy, they are all disk and can be bought at any parts store...or off line. there is two bolt that hold the pads onto the caliper, remove and replace!! Get the 94 repair manual from the "pinned" section.

woo hoo someone else from illinois. ok back to the OP cnstarz:

as zocks said brakes are simple you can do em yourself. You might need a tool for the rear caliper because the piston needs to be screwed back in. You can't just push it back in like you would for the ones in the front. I'm sure there is a tutorial around here somewhere for that. Shouldn't be too hard.

As Far as the struts and shocks go. I'd leave that to a professional since it requires more specialty tools to do the job right like spring compressors, among other things. Also I believe its a good idea to get an alignment after any suspension related work, just to be safe. You don't necessarily need to take it to a Lexus dealer. I believe it would be cheaper a Toyota dealer or any other place that does suspension. Just ask people in your area for a reliable mechanic and someone that knows what they are talking about.

Hope this helps, let us know what you end up doing. Pe@ce love and chicken grease from the middle east.

thanks for the replies. about how much does it usually cost for a realignment?

Depends where you go as in dealer vs Midas or mom and pop joint. I believe most places charge bout 100 bux for a four wheel alignment, But, I can't say that for sure since i haven't gotten one done yet. I got it done for free when i was in school.

do you guys have any recommendations on places to order parts from online? or any good brands for brake pads/rotors and struts/springs? and do you guys have any suggestions on suspension parts that will give me the smoothest ride? thanks a lot for all the replies again.

Try www.rockauto.com See *** Below

got 4 kyb gr2 struts and upper front bearings for $420 shipped.

monroe quick struts bought locally are faster and easier, but heard they ride stiffer (no proof though).

Also in the $160-180 range (i heard).

the job is easy, but up thru 22 mm sockets needed. air tools a help.

i posted on the process previously - 'easy' but time consuming.

If compressing springs, a different job altogether. that was the 'most difficult'/time consuming part. but do-able.

Alignment is needed afterward. my alignment as close, but off.

do the rear bushings as well. mine was quiet with a monor noise in the back. 15 mins and $11 in parts - QUIET. Nice.

I paid $110 for a 1 year alignment. $100 + 10 'shop fees'. (shop fees 'kiss my _ss! for what?)

For whatever reason, Rockauto does a 5% rebate with the correct code.

A friend gave it to me.

The discount code is: 826397733093

to use it: (from rockauto)

* Enter your code in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart.

* If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Set" button to the right of the field.

* Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your order total.