Oem - Windsheild Replacement

sheela130

• 1 month later...

I have a RX 330, anyone know how much a Lexus OEM windshield would cost? An a glass shop gave me a quote for $450, for an equivalent replacement(not Lexus brand).

I justed called to Lexus in PA for my 2005 RX330 I have a crack in the passenger side, currently out of my line of sight. I was quoted $1400 for the windshield due to the Nav system and Rain Sensor. They strongly recommend I not use an OEM due to customer complaints that the rearview mirror has been reported to make noises with use of an OEM.

I'm hoping to find out differently about OEM windshield for an 2005 RX330 with Nav and Rain sensor.

I have a RX 330, anyone know how much a Lexus OEM windshield would cost? An a glass shop gave me a quote for $450, for an equivalent replacement(not Lexus brand).

I made some calls today based on the comments in this forum (Thanks to all). My insurance company too has a Glass Repair Department. I was told a crack under 6" in length or smaller than a dollar bill might be repaired. They also indicated that a repair is covered with no impact to my premium (Great). So with any luck a repair will be made tomorrow with no impact to my wallet. That would be wonderful in lue of $1400 to replace it via the Lexus dealer. Good luck to you.

I think you're a little confused. OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. The Lexus windshield you're being quoted $1400 for is OEM. The aftermarket one you've been quoted $450 for is not.

• 3 weeks later...

In many cases the deductible on glass is $100 compared th the $500 -$1000 or whatever you've chosen as your comprehensive deductible. Many windshields can be repaired depending on the size & location of the crack. The OEM windshield for my 01' RX (no nav or rain sensors) was about $1000 from Lexus. It took a few conversations to get my insurance company to step up to cover the Lexus glass.

• 1 month later...

I'm on my second non OEM windshield and think it is foolish to pay >$1000 for something that is only going to get chipped/broken the next time you drive down the street. I have the auto wipers and navi and they both function correctly. The first ws replacement was $600.00 but that was in late 04 when the vehicles were fairly new. Last one was $300.00. No wavy glass or visual imperfections.

Ray

I think you're a little confused. OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. The Lexus windshield you're being quoted $1400 for is OEM. The aftermarket one you've been quoted $450 for is not.

Actually what the original poster stated is correct- the aftermarket windshield is called "original equipment equivalent" if it meets the original equipment standards. There are many that are made in third world countries that may not but most all of the major glass manufacturers would. I live in So. Cal. and just had a new "oee" Safelite windshield installed in my daughter-inlaws 99 RX300 (with lifetime warrantee) for about $210.-- including new rubber surround moulding, including tax. And that was mobile service- they came to the house and did it. I spent over 30 years in body work but am retired and shopped for that on the internet. Hope this helps.

We just dropped off our 2004 and Lexus of thousand Oaks quoted $1700. Since it is part of comprehensive on all insurances you only pay the deductable and the rest is not held aganist you by the insurance company. Only down side is you have to front the money to the dealer and wait for the insurance to pay you back but I got similar lower prices and decide to stick with OEM

• 2 weeks later...

I justed called to Lexus in PA for my 2005 RX330 I have a crack in the passenger side, currently out of my line of sight. I was quoted $1400 for the windshield due to the Nav system and Rain Sensor. They strongly recommend I not use an OEM due to customer complaints that the rearview mirror has been reported to make noises with use of an OEM.

I'm hoping to find out differently about OEM windshield for an 2005 RX330 with Nav and Rain sensor.

NOTE: Rain Sensor will not work properly with non OEM Lexus winshield. If they say it will, get it in writing!

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Actually what the original poster stated is correct- the aftermarket windshield is called "original equipment equivalent" if it meets the original equipment standards. There are many that are made in third world countries that may not but most all of the major glass manufacturers would. I live in So. Cal. and just had a new "oee" Safelite windshield installed in my daughter-inlaws 99 RX300 (with lifetime warrantee) for about $210.-- including new rubber surround moulding, including tax. And that was mobile service- they came to the house and did it. I spent over 30 years in body work but am retired and shopped for that on the internet. Hope this helps.

I ran across this post. I know it is old but do you still have the info for the install? I have a crack in mine and would like to get it fixed asap..

We just had ours replaced on our 2004 RX330 with rain sensor and Nav.

Total was $251 from Safelite.

Safelite is a good choice. They'll come to wherever you are and install it. I had one put in my DIL's '99 RX about a year and a half ago and it ran me about $190.-$200. W/new rubber outer moulding- no rain or nav.