I Think I Found It! The Perfect Ls400 For Me!

90LS400Lexus

I originally stopped at a local dealer tonight to look at a 94' Camry LE (that I also really like) that they have, then I notice a LIKE NEW and I really mean LIKE NEW, early 1st generation LS400. I am not sure of the year.. its either a 1990, 1991 or 1992. I have never been able to tell those three years apart. I am not even sure if there are any visual differences. Its a blue color, with MINT condition blue leather interior. I think the mileage was 184K, or 84K. From the looks of it, I would say its 84K. Its probably well out of my price range, but you never know until you ask. I am going to check on it tomorrow as well when I ask about the Camry. I am hoping that the LS is actually 184K, that way I am sure it will have a lower price. I really want to get something 5K or less (with tax included- meaning the car would have to be priced $4500 or less, but I doubt that even a 90' LS in this condition would sell that cheap. It looks as nice as a 2005 model.

I will keep you posted.

Update... I checked their website and they are asking $5995 for the car and it has 176K. Does this seem steep for a 176K mile car? Here are photos of it. I see the HVAC LCD is dead too. :( BTW - its a 1991.

http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/9...1_A.562x421.jpg

The asking price and your budget are only 1000 apart. Make him an offer based on your budget or less.

Update... I checked their website and they are asking $5995 for the car and it has 176K. Does this seem steep for a 176K mile car? Here are photos of it. I see the HVAC LCD is dead too. :( BTW - its a 1991.

That does seem a bit steep considering genII cars are now in that range, but if you really like the car, see how low you can get them to go. What kind of cool, old GMs do you have right now?? B)

Thanks Omar... how can you tell it has air suspension? The switches on the console? My 90' did not have air suspension, so I was not sure. I was wondering about that though. If air suspension was to go out, is it possible to just simply install the standard struts? Thanks.

dude, it has air suspension. I would not pay 5-6 grand for a 15-17 year old LS. you could get a 95 for that price. You could get a 98 for 7-8k so i would wait. Hand them Edmunds TMV. TMV is about 3k for a loaded 91 with 180k.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1991/lexus/ls4...ction=vdpresult

Thanks Blake. I am going to call shortly and get a "bottom $ price". I am also going to check on the Camry. Its really nice as well. I am also going to look into some 95-96 models.

As far as my old GM cars, I still have my 73' Pontiac Grand Ville, I guess I will have that thing forever. lol. It is currently my daily driver now believe it or not, since I have sold my Toyota Tundra.

I am not sure if I have been here since I bought this one, but I have since acquired a 1972 Chevrolet Kingswood Estate 9-passenger wagon (which is the top of the line Caprice wagon). You may remember, its the one had been trying to buy from that old woman for many years. It has 47K miles and has been garaged. She bought it from the original owner in 1984, so it has only had two owners. She did crafts and drove it between Bristol and Charlotte alot during the 1980s- she needed the space. The car had set in the garage for years and not driven, so it needs mechanical attention. It runs good, but I may rebuild the engine. Also it needs a LITTLE body work, because sometime during the 80s, the tailgate window had leaked, allowing water into the spare tire storage area and some rust developed... nothing major. The interior is still like brand new. The best part is that it also has the 402 big block engine option. It also has the following options - A/C, tilt, AM radio (woo-hoo!), luggage rack, 3rd seat, factory trailer towing package (which included super HD braking system, hitch, air shocks) deluxe wheel covers. I had found another fairly low like this one that had even more options like cruise, power tailgate and it had the 454 engine! It was blue though. Also, the body was not as good. The woodgrain had faded and needed replaced. Someone offered me $7000. for mine, but they are just so hard to find, I could not part with it now. Its really dirty in these photos. I have not even cleaned it up properly yet. Here are some photos... thanks again.

100_6384.jpg

100_6422.jpg

100_6263.jpg

100_6230.jpg

100_6445.jpg

100_6195.jpg

100_5990.jpg

That does seem a bit steep considering genII cars are now in that range, but if you really like the car, see how low you can get them to go. What kind of cool, old GMs do you have right now?? B)

yea man, the extra two switches on top of the etc power switch are for air suspension. You could replace em with regular struts but that's like an extra $700 plus installation.

Best to avoid IMHO. Unless they've just been replaced.. then it would be an ok buy for 3k. no more though.

Thanks. Well, I phoned earlier, no answer, but he called me back. Confirmed the $5995 price, but I think even $4995 would be to steep for one this old @ this mileage (178K). There was one in Atlanta with 116K in EC for $4900. BTW- I think the Camry he had was too steep too. $3995 for a 94' Camry is not really that great in my opinion. Thanks again for all of the replies. Maybe I will find another local LS one of these days. They are hard to find around here. :(

yea man, the extra two switches on top of the etc power switch are for air suspension. You could replace em with regular struts but that's like an extra $700 plus installation.

Best to avoid IMHO. Unless they've just been replaced.. then it would be an ok buy for 3k. no more though.

If you're real interested in the car go in there with a check and see what he'll take. Thats way too high and he must know that, he's probably looking for negotiating room.

Glad to hear things are going well!

Thanks Blake. I am going to call shortly and get a "bottom $ price". I am also going to check on the Camry. Its really nice as well. I am also going to look into some 95-96 models.

As far as my old GM cars, I still have my 73' Pontiac Grand Ville, I guess I will have that thing forever. lol. It is currently my daily driver now believe it or not, since I have sold my Toyota Tundra.

I am not sure if I have been here since I bought this one, but I have since acquired a 1972 Chevrolet Kingswood Estate 9-passenger wagon (which is the top of the line Caprice wagon). You may remember, its the one had been trying to buy from that old woman for many years. It has 47K miles and has been garaged. She bought it from the original owner in 1984, so it has only had two owners. She did crafts and drove it between Bristol and Charlotte alot during the 1980s- she needed the space. The car had set in the garage for years and not driven, so it needs mechanical attention. It runs good, but I may rebuild the engine. Also it needs a LITTLE body work, because sometime during the 80s, the tailgate window had leaked, allowing water into the spare tire storage area and some rust developed... nothing major. The interior is still like brand new. The best part is that it also has the 402 big block engine option. It also has the following options - A/C, tilt, AM radio (woo-hoo!), luggage rack, 3rd seat, factory trailer towing package (which included super HD braking system, hitch, air shocks) deluxe wheel covers.

I believe your wagon has the 400 small block - siamesed bore small block Chevy. Rare in itself these days. The 402 was the big block for sure, a bored over 396 from the factory, done to save poor castings I think. I'd sell it for that price. Cool car for sure.

Thanks. Well, it actually really is the 402 4bbl big block. Alot of people were mislead when Chevrolet put the "400" emblems on the front fenders of these cars, even when they actually had the "402" engine. I was told my someone that worked for GM back then said it was kind of a trick, because back then gas prices were rising and it was also so close to the 400 in cubic inch size, that they never made a 402 emblem. The 400 small block that year was standard on these cars, but they only had a 2bbl carburator. The big block had a 4bbl, which my car has. Also if you note, my car has the wide valve covers, which was an easy way to tell a big block from a small block (see photo). The 400 small block had skinnier valve covers. Also, back then GM had stickers under the hood of all General Motors cars that had the engine size on the upper left hand side of the sticker. The stickers were often near the top of the radiator support. I also posted a photo of that sticker thats on my car, so I am sure its the original engine. Its also on the factory window sticker that it has a "402 4bbl big block engine". It was only like a $100 option. :)

Also, you are exactly right about the 402 really being a 396 bored over. By 1972, the 396 was not made anymore. I think the last year for the 396 was 1970 I think. 402 was introduced in 1971.

As far as selling it @ that price, I may, but I really do not need the money and like the car better than the money. lol. (at least for now. :)) Sorry for the dirty engine. This was before I cleaned it up. This is 18 years worth of dust on it. :rolleyes:

100_6142.jpg

100_6375.jpg

I believe your wagon has the 400 small block - siamesed bore small block Chevy. Rare in itself these days. The 402 was the big block for sure, a bored over 396 from the factory, done to save poor castings I think. I'd sell it for that price. Cool car for sure.

If you're looking for a good price, isn't a dealer is a bad bet? (When I was looking I was checking cars.com, autotrader.com, autoextra.com, craigslist.org, and eBay, and while I did think about some dealer offerings I saw there, they weren't all that tempting comparatively, price-wise.)

Yeah, I have a feeling that he probably paid about $2500 for the car. I have a feeling he gets the cars cheap elsewhere, then marks them up 100%. <_< I know for a fact he picked up that Camry @ one of the local Toyota dealers. He told me so.

The LS400s are not that easy to find around here in eastern TN for some reason, despite us having a local Lexus dealership. When I go to autotrader or Craigslist, in this region, they all seem to be in the Atlanta or Charlotte area. Big cities obviously have more cars for sale @ lower prices. <_<

If you're looking for a good price, isn't a dealer is a bad bet? (When I was looking I was checking cars.com, autotrader.com, autoextra.com, craigslist.org, and eBay, and while I did think about some dealer offerings I saw there, they weren't all that tempting comparatively, price-wise.)

Thanks. Well, it actually really is the 402 4bbl big block. Alot of people were mislead when Chevrolet put the "400" emblems on the front fenders of these cars, even when they actually had the "402" engine. I was told my someone that worked for GM back then said it was kind of a trick, because back then gas prices were rising and it was also so close to the 400 in cubic inch size, that they never made a 402 emblem. The 400 small block that year was standard on these cars, but they only had a 2bbl carburator. The big block had a 4bbl, which my car has. Also if you note, my car has the wide valve covers, which was an easy way to tell a big block from a small block (see photo). The 400 small block had skinnier valve covers. Also, back then GM had stickers under the hood of all General Motors cars that had the engine size on the upper left hand side of the sticker. The stickers were often near the top of the radiator support. I also posted a photo of that sticker thats on my car, so I am sure its the original engine. Its also on the factory window sticker that it has a "402 4bbl big block engine". It was only like a $100 option. :)

Also, you are exactly right about the 402 really being a 396 bored over. By 1972, the 396 was not made anymore. I think the last year for the 396 was 1970 I think. 402 was introduced in 1971.

As far as selling it @ that price, I may, but I really do not need the money and like the car better than the money. lol. (at least for now. :)) Sorry for the dirty engine. This was before I cleaned it up. This is 18 years worth of dust on it. :rolleyes:

Yep that's a rat motor alright! That's beyond cool and more than rare. Pal of mine had a 402 Monte Carlo - I put a camshaft in it for him as he wiped a lobe off it on a long highway run.

Thanks so much for the photo - I'll be showing it to a couple of buds to prove that a car like yours actually exists.

If you do sell it....well I'll fly down to pick it up!

a used car manager once told me they made more money selling used car than selling new cars.

Oh much more. New car sales make very little profit for a dealer, they drive service business.

Oh reeeeeeeeally? I will steer clear of them then. I think they sold that Camry for $3995! It was not there today, nor was the Lexus. Strange. I guess someone was dumb enough to pay those prices.

@ any rate, I found another LS I am considering, but I think its a little high as well. Its a 1991 LS400 w/202K. Its white w/tan leather. In GC and stated to have just had a timing belt installed @ the Lexus dealer 13000 miles ago @ a cost of $1200 (he said). He came down to $3400 on the price to off-set the shipping cost (he wanted $3800), but I would have to pay and additional $375 shipping (I would be buying it with only seeing the photos and his word (It was on ebay- reserve not met), then, what, about $250 in state tax? I would easily have near $4K in it. I paid $3900. for my 90' LS400 3 years ago and it had 220K at the time. I ended up selling it for $3000 when it had 245K. Maybe I will look on. He did say that the only thing that was wrong is that the low coolant light stayed on, even when the coolant was full. He said that the dealer told him that it was a bad sensor and a new one was $100?

Dont laugh, but I found a local 1997 Acura RL 3.5L that I really like. Low miles and its not much more than that LS. I also found a 1998 Acura TL 2.5 that looks really nice as well (local) @ a good price, but I am not familiar with those TL's. I think they are just an oversized Accord (except they are 5-cylinders), unless its the TL 3.2L, which is a V6. I am not really that familiar with the RL either, but from what I have gathered on the Acura boards, they are good cars... I have seen several with over 200K miles. One I recently saw on Craigslist had 274K on the original engine/tranny. I have heard that there were some lingering HG issues on some models, as well as some valve seal issues, but it does not seem like its a widespread issue and nothing like the 1991-94 Legend 3.2L's were plagued with. Those were horrible. My 92' Acura Legend was a oil burner.

a used car manager once told me they made more money selling used car than selling new cars.

Oh much more. New car sales make very little profit for a dealer, they drive service business.

Sorry, the sales/F & I department makes the most money for ANY car dealership. I've work for many dealers over the last 20 years, and believe me the service department makes far less that the sales depatrment does. You sell 1 LS460L at sticker price, the dealer made $9200 profit on 1 car. Sell 1 extended warranty contract=$500-$1500 profit. Sell the car loan at a higher rate than what you really qualified for, they come back with a 7% rate, when you really qualified for a 6% rate=$1000 profit. That's about $11,700 profit without the holdback the owner gets! On 1 car! Service departments can't come close to those numbers.

Sorry, the sales/F & I department makes the most money for ANY car dealership. I've work for many dealers over the last 20 years, and believe me the service department makes far less that the sales depatrment does. You sell 1 LS460L at sticker price, the dealer made $9200 profit on 1 car. Sell 1 extended warranty contract=$500-$1500 profit. Sell the car loan at a higher rate than what you really qualified for, they come back with a 7% rate, when you really qualified for a 6% rate=$1000 profit. That's about $11,700 profit without the holdback the owner gets! On 1 car! Service departments can't come close to those numbers.

Well that certainly wasn't the case for any of the car dealerships I consulted with a few years ago. All I did was design and implement systems for dealers to retain service business from sales customers because the profit potential for service customers was higher than sales customers. For some reason they paid me to do that...a lot.

Here in France, acura/honda legend all years have lots of problems engine.

My seller go now since 6 years to toyota.

I speach a lot with him. We love Lexus LS400, Accord, Legend, MAXIMA... But we are agree : LS400 and 430 are the best.

Maxima is a cataclysm in motor dysfonctions. Accord is good but in made in japan only. Here in Europe, accord were made in England...

I have an accord aerodeck 1996, made in USA. One of my best car. But in manual transmission (Bouh!).

My father have a Xedos 6, V6, nice car, never problem. 1996.

The xedos 9 was the biggest model of mazda. too expensive for my father.

In family, we forgot french car, poor quality, bad service. Never made in france... They make french car in the east europe like Volkswagen.

BMW and AUdi or Mercedes, certainly good cars but dealers change parts with our money at each visit.

here is the story of a little european and french driver.

Regards

The Acura RL is a very fine car. It's a little smaller than the LS, and it feels cozier and peppier, though the engine obviously has less power than the LS--obvious in the sense that it's a V6, not in the sense that it feels underpowered for ordinary driving, hill-climbing, or passing. But an LS will beat it in most ways engine-wise, and will match or beat it in gas mileage for comparable years. The RL is not quite as trouble-free as the LS from a comparable year, but since it's cheaper you can get one that's in better shape/has fewer miles/isn't as old. It's probably not quite as quiet as some LS's, though the one you're considering might easily be quieter than a particular LS you're considering. The stereo in the RL isn't quite as good as that in the same-year LS, but again you're comparing a newer RL to an older LS, so that might be reversed.

The RL's 105K mile service is the one that includes changing the timing belt, and there are a lot of RLs that are either being sold right before that service or for which it was never done. Figure an extra thousand or so if it hasn't been done. (I actually won an RL on eBay that turned out not to have had that service, among some other problems not known to/disclosed by the owner, so I got my money back--eventually ended up with a far more expensive but very nice 98 LS instead. Be sure you can trust the seller.)

The TL is sort of the ES equivalent. It's not as quiet or nice or fast, nor as reliable, though it's still a relatively reliable car, and fun in its ways.

Thanks Sanpete! Your info sounds about like what I expected. I test drove a 1998 Acura RL last year and really liked it, but for some reason, the engine did not seem as responsive as what I have heard others say these are. Needless to say, I think they want too much for the Acura. I have found several 96-97 RL's and most are that heather mist color, which I like. Other than one that I found locally needing some body work (For $2200), I only found one other less than 5K, for $4900 and it was in Charlotte, which is 3 hours away. I like that local 98' Acura TL for $3900... its nice, but I am not familiar with the TL's and even on the Acura forums, there is very little info on them. I am kinda scared of it if you know what I mean. I have no idea how reliable the 2.5L I-5 is, or how $ it is to work on it, or if its an interference engine.

As many here know me from being here over the years, it takes me forever to make up my mind on a car. lol. I may reconsider that 91' LS400 and shell out the $3400 for it, $375 shipping. I just would like more photos, but that does not seem possible, which is strange. I found another LS400 (1993), that has 144K and its stunning. They are asking $4900 for it, but it also says "make offer". It is in Florida. Ironically, they also have a 1997 Acura RL, with 119K for $7995, but I do not want to go that much for an RL.

Thanks again.

The Acura RL is a very fine car. It's a little smaller than the LS, and it feels cozier and peppier, though the engine obviously has less power than the LS--obvious in the sense that it's a V6, not in the sense that it feels underpowered for ordinary driving, hill-climbing, or passing. But an LS will beat it in most ways engine-wise, and will match or beat it in gas mileage for comparable years. The RL is not quite as trouble-free as the LS from a comparable year, but since it's cheaper you can get one that's in better shape/has fewer miles/isn't as old. It's probably not quite as quiet as some LS's, though the one you're considering might easily be quieter than a particular LS you're considering. The stereo in the RL isn't quite as good as that in the same-year LS, but again you're comparing a newer RL to an older LS, so that might be reversed.

The RL's 105K mile service is the one that includes changing the timing belt, and there are a lot of RLs that are either being sold right before that service or for which it was never done. Figure an extra thousand or so if it hasn't been done. (I actually won an RL on eBay that turned out not to have had that service, among some other problems not known to/disclosed by the owner, so I got my money back--eventually ended up with a far more expensive but very nice 98 LS instead. Be sure you can trust the seller.)

The TL is sort of the ES equivalent. It's not as quiet or nice or fast, nor as reliable, though it's still a relatively reliable car, and fun in its ways.