Squealing Brakes

The brakes on my '93 GS 300 have always squealed after initial break-in period. Lexus even replaced them for free once. I've also had them replaced by independent shops with the same results. The back ones seem to be the main culprit, and squealing starts when break pedal is depressed about 20-25% of the way. The squealing stops once the brakes are fully engaged. The service people tell me it's because asbestos is no longer used, but if that were the case, all cars' brakes would squeal. Any suggestions for a solution? Thank's

• 3 months later...

i had the same problem for a while. really annoying! the problem was that the brake pads were low quality. i had them changed twice, but the problem with the first change was that the shop didnt clean the rotors properly. so the problem was that the rotors were contaminated. so just a suggestion make sure they clean everything properly and use higher quality pads. good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

My experience on my 93 is that if the rotors are not resurfaced when you have new pads put on, they can squeek when the brakes are first applied. Also, the Toyota OEM pads can squeek-depends on what they use the day you are there. I have ceramic pads on another car that squeeked and it is gone (rotors resurfaced). Rear brakes seem to squeek more than fronts. Pep boys has ceramic pads that fit and are $40 a set. Cheap fix for annoying squeeks. If an upgrade sounds good-get Greens from EBC-they are more expensive but much more grippy and fade resistant. If you need new rotors, consider EBC gold rotors. All this can be installed at home with a little patience and normal tools, or have a garage do it for a couple hundred in labor.

Hope this helps!