Ok, I Give...what Are They For?

pishta

New to the '92 LS400, came with no manual. What are the lights that flank the main lights for? Called the corner lights and maybe fog lights? Anyway, I cant get them to do anything...Any clues? Like, do they turn on during a blinker, or maybe in parking light mode (only yellow bumper lights are on ) Thanks

New to the '92 LS400, came with no manual. What are the lights that flank the main lights for? Called the corner lights and maybe fog lights? Anyway, I cant get them to do anything...Any clues? Like, do they turn on during a blinker, or maybe in parking light mode (only yellow bumper lights are on ) Thanks

if you havent figured it out yet i believe you just need to turn the inner switch on

The lights to the inside of the headlights are the fog lights, and yes there's a switch that controls those. On my 91 they are yellow when on. The lights to the outside of the headlights are the corner lights. They stay on when the lights are on. Probably yours are burnt out.

The lights to the inside of the headlights are the fog lights, and yes there's a switch that controls those. On my 91 they are yellow when on. The lights to the outside of the headlights are the corner lights. They stay on when the lights are on. Probably yours are burnt out.

OK, where is the switch, is it on the light control inside? Would a burned out bulb give me a indicator inside, my rear one did. Thanks.

So that is what those are for... mine have never worked since I bought the car... they must be burned out. Surprised the light never came on, but oh well. I saw an LS of similar vintage to mine with them working, and could barely tell they were on...

So that is what those are for... mine have never worked since I bought the car... they must be burned out. Surprised the light never came on, but oh well. I saw an LS of similar vintage to mine with them working, and could barely tell they were on...

OK, found the little switch on the stalk that turns the fog lights on, they work. But no luck on the outboard lights. Both burned out and no indicator? At what situation do they turn on or are they on when the main lights are on? Thanks

OK, found the little switch on the stalk that turns the fog lights on, they work. But no luck on the outboard lights. Both burned out and no indicator? At what situation do they turn on or are they on when the main lights are on? Thanks
The light indicator is only for the lights on the rear of the car. ;) Those lights seem to be some sort of parking lights or something else of no use. I removed them from my car, and it looks a lot better without them.

Aren't you referring to the turn signals here as the "mystery" lights? Or am I in the wrong year model?

No, the turn signals are in the bumper on my year, they are orange and long. Im referring to the outer corner wrap around clear lights next to the main lights. Ill check the bulbs tonight if I can.

Aren't you referring to the turn signals here as the "mystery" lights? Or am I in the wrong year model?

No, the turn signals are in the bumper on my year, they are orange and long. Im referring to the outer corner wrap around clear lights next to the main lights. Ill check the bulbs tonight if I can.

The lights to which you are referring used to be called "city lights" - a holdover from the days when many large European cities (e.g. Paris) did not allow headlights at night in some city districts. If I remember correctly, by law the maximum bulb size was only five watts. Car manufactures played all sorts of tricks with lens design to magnify the light output of the little five watt bulbs. Beginning with 1998, LS400's have the city lights built into the main headlight housing as Mercedes had done on their non-U.S. spec cars for decades.