What Happened To Me Gas Mileage?!

godpossessed

Check your battery, if you had to replace the alternator you may have killed the battery. If so, the alternator may be delivering full charge all the time and putting extra load on the engine, so loss of mpg. If you can get a current probe on the line to the battery, you should see high rate charge for a short time (no more than a few minutes) after starting the car. Alternative, take the battery to Autozone, the ones in So. Cal. typically have a bettery tester that you can use with hope that you will buy from them. If you need a new battery, I highly recommend the Optima type spiral wound design, its a bit more money but worth it.

Most complaints of worsening gas mileage seem to take place during periods of upward spikes in gas prices as we have had during the past several weeks. Are you sure you are not just paying more attention to your gas mileage now that you are paying more at the pump?

The EPA rating on the 90 LS400 I drove for 13 1/2 years was 18 mpg city / 23 highway and the gas mileage I got was often less than that. I kept track of every drop of gas that went into the car in a log book and still do that for all our cars.

Did your gas recently acquire ethanol?

On my 2004 LS430 using an ethenol mix (E-10, NOT E-85) reduces my fuel economy by 2-3 MPG, decreases power, and throttle responsiveness. I just returned from a 4000+ mile road trip, and found that gas that did not contain ethanol gave much better fuel economy, throttle responsiveness and acceleration.

Vern

Did your gas recently acquire ethanol?

On my 2004 LS430 using an ethenol mix (E-10, NOT E-85) reduces my fuel economy by 2-3 MPG, decreases power, and throttle responsiveness. I just returned from a 4000+ mile road trip, and found that gas that did not contain ethanol gave much better fuel economy, throttle responsiveness and acceleration.

Vern

+1 Try refilling at another station the next couple of times and check your mileage.