Some Questions (and A Happy New User)

aske

Hi folks, I am a proud new owner of a lexus es 350 with navigation (2007)

First some questions:

1. Is there any way I can get rid of 'please say a command after the beep' for voice activated control ? I'd prefer just the beep. If this is not possible, how does one just reduce the volume of the 'please say a command after the beep' without affected navigation volume ?

2. I find it a liitle unusual that there is no place for me to plug in the key, or, altleast hang it in a visible place, so if I need to 'pass on the keys' to my wife, I remember it easily. What is the best practice most users do here ?

Now, here is the 'how did I do' question:

Here is what I bought: (reading from the sticker)

Lexus ES 350 2007 (New)

Standard features +

rear side airbags

full size spare tire

high intensity discharge headlamps w/afs

Navigation system (gen 5 with Rear Camera, BT and voice activation)

intuitive parking assistant

premium plus package:

perforated leather trim with memory

heated and ventilated front seats, driver power cusion

extender, rain sensing wipers

wood and leather steering wheel

trunk mat, cargo net, wheel locks

I got this at an out-the-door price of $39,110 (the car had 6 miles on it)

How is the price ?

Hi folks, I am a proud new owner of a lexus es 350 with navigation (2007)

First some questions:

1. Is there any way I can get rid of 'please say a command after the beep' for voice activated control ? I'd prefer just the beep. If this is not possible, how does one just reduce the volume of the 'please say a command after the beep' without affected navigation volume ?

2. I find it a liitle unusual that there is no place for me to plug in the key, or, altleast hang it in a visible place, so if I need to 'pass on the keys' to my wife, I remember it easily. What is the best practice most users do here ?

Now, here is the 'how did I do' question:

Here is what I bought: (reading from the sticker)

Lexus ES 350 2007 (New)

Standard features +

rear side airbags

full size spare tire

high intensity discharge headlamps w/afs

Navigation system (gen 5 with Rear Camera, BT and voice activation)

intuitive parking assistant

premium plus package:

perforated leather trim with memory

heated and ventilated front seats, driver power cusion

extender, rain sensing wipers

wood and leather steering wheel

trunk mat, cargo net, wheel locks

I got this at an out-the-door price of $39,110 (the car had 6 miles on it)

How is the price ?

$36,076 is the invoice with everything you bought, so depending on tax, tag, title you might have done fine

No clue about the voice, but as for the keys the best thing to do is to have your wife carry the second key on her keychain. Thats why there are two. Hanging it somewhere on the interior negates the point of the keyless entry and start.

I can't speak for the Prius, or any other vehicle, but the Owner's manual for the ES350 clearly states that the system might act strange if a second electronic key (FOB) is detected by the system. You can find this caution, from Lexus, on page 8 of your owners manual.

If you are lucky enough to have nothing happen when two keys are in the car at the same time, good for you. But I think it is worth noting, as I did in any earlier post, that if something strange is happening with your cars "smart access system" it would be nice to know what might be the cause. Use the information provided as you see fit, but it seems to me to be a bit inappropriate to state what might be the ES350 reactions based what a Prius' did or didn't do.

But then again I guess if you turn the wheel left in your Prius, and it goes left, it could be argued that its fair to state that the ES350 will also go left when you turn its wheel that way.

Hi all, thanks for your replies.

I guess I will have to get used to the key in the pocket concept. NM350, interesting that you bring up the point. Even though theoretically you are spot on, the manual does say that, I hope (&pray) practically, even if I do have both of them, my wheel turns left when I turn the steering left :-) In the event that I see issues in startup, that is exactly the first thing I am going to try and eliminiate (2nd key)

YMMV, but for me, the point of two keys is not to carry them both in the car. I prefer to keep one in the house - incase I lose my keys, I can ask a relative/friend to go fetch my other key.

Aske I'm with you. I'd rather have the second key at home. If you both carry a key Murphy's law says both keys will be lost on the same day at the same time.

For what its worth I suggest you read up on how to start the car with a dead key battery. Shouldn't happen for years to come, but you never know. I haven't taken the battery out of one of the keys to try it, but I might. I hate surprises like that.

This is my first Lexus and so far I really like it. There are a few things I wish worked differently, but I think that would be the case regardless of brand. I have had the CD player replaced - it jammed with only a burned CD inserted. It was playing fine and then just quit, so I can't say it jammed, that's the term the dealer used.

When the dealer found out it a burned CD he said that was the problem. He told me you can't use burned CD's in this player. I pointed out to him page 223 of the nav user's manual which says I can and that I intended to continue to use burned CDs - using high quality blanks...or at least blanks from a good brand name. I then ask the dealer where I buy MP3 and WMV formatted music CDs since the player says on the front it plays those formats. He couldn't give me an answer, so of course I then ask the logic of saying I can't use burned MP3 and WMV CDs if the only place to get them is to burn them yourself. At that point conversation was over and I'm still using burned CDs. I wonder how many CD players I'll have to replace.

Having said that I'm still a very Happy User too...enjoy your 350.

Congratulations on your new ES350. Yes, there is a way to get rid of the "please say a command after the beep." I recall hearing about it on the instructional DVD that comes with the navigation system. I don't remember exactly where it is, but it is in there. I have been meaning to get rid of it myself, but I have not done so. I am going to look for the instruction again and once I find it (or if you do first, post it) I will post it.

lovemyES350 is correct, you can turn off the 'please say a command'. On the Nav console press 'MENU' then press on the screen 'SETUP' and then scroll to the second screen of information and press 'NO' for the 'Voice Recognition Command', then press OK. That will turn off the 'please say a command' query by the system.

I just tried it and it works! Thanks for the tip lovemyES350. I'm glad to get rid of that feature.

lovemyES350 is correct, you can turn off the 'please say a command'. On the Nav console press 'MENU' then press on the screen 'SETUP' and then scroll to the second screen of information and press 'NO' for the 'Voice Recognition Command', then press OK. That will turn off the 'please say a command' query by the system.

I just tried it and it works! Thanks for the tip lovemyES350. I'm glad to get rid of that feature.

Yes, thanks lovemyES350, I just got over watching the relevant portion of the DVD and did the same thing that NM350 pointed out. Works like a charm :-)

NM350, I agree, the battery failing and the car starting is a scenario I need to be prepared for. The challenge is not me - the challenge is to explain it to my wife and then, more importantly, hope that she remembers it when the battery actually fails in a few years! My wife is a pretty smart engineer, but for some reason, when she gets into technicalities of anything beyond her workstation/computer, she behaves like a deer staring into headlights.

You folks are great :-) My next step is to investigate the evil world of enabling the map override feature while driving for the 6.1 version which is mentioned in clublexus threads, but I think I will give it some time till someone finds a cleaner hack - I am not keen on cutting wires, nor keen on overlaying 5.1 over the 6.1 DVD :-)

thanks

Congratulations on your new ES350. Yes, there is a way to get rid of the "please say a command after the beep." I recall hearing about it on the instructional DVD that comes with the navigation system. I don't remember exactly where it is, but it is in there. I have been meaning to get rid of it myself, but I have not done so. I am going to look for the instruction again and once I find it (or if you do first, post it) I will post it.

I love you guys. I hated waiting for that sexy voice to ask me that question every time...

Use the information provided as you see fit, but it seems to me to be a bit inappropriate to state what might be the ES350 reactions based what a Prius' did or didn't do.

Its precisely the same system. My parents have an 04 LS430 with the same system and they each carry keys and I've heard of no problems when they're both in the car at the same time.

Use the information provided as you see fit, but it seems to me to be a bit inappropriate to state what might be the ES350 reactions based what a Prius' did or didn't do.

Its precisely the same system. My parents have an 04 LS430 with the same system and they each carry keys and I've heard of no problems when they're both in the car at the same time.

FWIW, my wife and I have both keys in the car pretty regularly and haven't experienced any issues. It even seems to discriminate between what side of the car you're approaching when setting the seat and mirrors, if I get in on the driver's side after she's unlocked the car on the passenger side it still sets everything to my fob.

I have only detected one strange thing that my ES350 does when both keys are inside: We have the rear sunshade, which should retract when the car is shifted into reverse. When both keys are in the car, the shade does not automatically retract.

When we drive, we store the keys in the finger-hold portion of the interior door handle. It is very deep, and is lined with a carpet material. When exiting the vehicle, the keys are a natural reminder to pick them up before closing the door.

You're missing the whole point of having the system in the first place...

Yeah, this whole thread is getting confusing to me. I keep my keys in my front pocket, and my wife keeps hers in her purse. What's the point of a keyless system if you're going to pull them out and put them somewhere or worry about them both being in the car???