Are Gauges Hard To Isntall And Expensive?

Jesus954

Well just to be honest i dont even have turbo on my car so i know you guys are like than wtf u want gauges for lol ? But i am just wondering because see my is doesnt have a stock navigation so that leaves that annoying space just sitting there waiting to have something put in there so gauges could be the only thing that come to my mind that are both cool and have like a purpose . So anyone that can explain me the process on installing this thigns and would it be alot of $$$ .....Also if u have any recommendation on what the heck i should put in that gap instead of gauges tell me !!!

You can put some gauges there if you want. Parking 17 did it. They looked pretty good! I don't think he was running any boost. The way it generally works out is the more accurate you want the gauges to be the more they will cost. But only as a general rule per say.Maybe you could go with an engine analyser or mgmt. system. Of course those can get expensive.

Ok Jesus, I know youv'e been looking around trying to find what is right for you to mod your ride. You don't have alot of cash, and you want to get the most you can, but you also want to like it. I feel ya. But you have to realize that no one thing is gonna do it. You have do "stack" your mods in order to get the full effect. So, if your strapped for cash, do the small stuff first. Then do a big mod, and then some small ones again. Soon, you'll have a direction. Look, I took the stock antenea off and put a 4" super rod there. Cost 40 bucks. I took the stock shifter knob off and put a leather and chrome one on for 30 bucks. Tinted the winodws for 150 bucks. Paint the brake calipers for 30 bucks. Any one of these things by itself and no big deal, but when you see them all together it starts to take on much bigger effect.

So do all the small ones, and get your DVD/Nav. system in. Wait on the gauges until your sure.

You can put some gauges there if you want. Parking 17 did it. They looked pretty good! I don't think he was running any boost. The way it generally works out is the more accurate you want the gauges to be the more they will cost. But only as a general rule per say.Maybe you could go with an engine analyser or mgmt. system. Of course those can get expensive.

Ok Jesus, I know youv'e been looking around trying to find what is right for you to mod your ride. You don't have alot of cash, and you want to get the most you can, but you also want to like it. I feel ya. But you have to realize that no one thing is gonna do it. You have do "stack" your mods in order to get the full effect. So, if your strapped for cash, do the small stuff first. Then do a big mod, and then some small ones again. Soon, you'll have a direction. Look, I took the stock antenea off and put a 4" super rod there. Cost 40 bucks. I took the stock shifter knob off and put a leather and chrome one on for 30 bucks. Tinted the winodws for 150 bucks. Paint the brake calipers for 30 bucks. Any one of these things by itself and no big deal, but when you see them all together it starts to take on much bigger effect.

So do all the small ones, and get your DVD/Nav. system in. Wait on the gauges until your sure.

Yeah ur right see so far i tinted the car added some c-west eyelids (i like eyelids lol) and a carbon fiber interior with custom lexus headrest is not much but it looks sexy lol about the antena i dunno why people change it i mean like i never saw the stock antena as a bad look to the car but not sure never seen a comparison between a small antena n stock about the caliper paint i aint sure how it works lol do i really just need a caliper paint that pepboys sells??? and wut just spray paint it or something ??? and as far as the dvd/nav screen im gona put a hold to that because since i am gona have to change the rear speakers and all i want to get a whole better system with sub woofers in all at the same time so thats gona wait abit and the 1st thing i am gona save for is a for a set of blk katana rims that i got my eyes on.

Yes, the gauges are hard to install and I have general knowledge of wiring, soldering, etc. What's difficult is the amount of space to work with. You generally have to cut the connectors off of any wires that come with the gauges to run them through the firewall. I ran mine throught the existing gromet on the drivers side. The passengers side is nearly inaccessable. Then I soldered the wires back together and used heat shrink to make a clean insulation. You have to have someone hold the wiring for you while you solder. If you do not have general knowledge of wiring or know how to solder, you could see if a shop will do it for you. I also found it difficult to find a "hot connection" wired with the key. My fuse box has no hot taps, so I had to splice from the red wire on the ignition.

I ran an oil pressure gauge and an exhaust temp gauge. I used a 1" nipple on the block, and just unplugged the oil light. I had to use 2000 degree putty to seal around the hole I made in the header for the exhaust temp gauge, or else the exhaust leaks out, making a ticking noise on excelleration. I didn't like the void of space on the dash either, and would rather have needles than lights that usually come on when it's too late. If an oil pressure gauge came with the car instead of the useless MPG gauge, then I probably would have been happy.

If an oil pressure gauge came with the car instead of the useless MPG gauge, then I probably would have been happy.

Very good point. I soooo agree with you there bro.

Yes, the gauges are hard to install and I have general knowledge of wiring, soldering, etc. What's difficult is the amount of space to work with. You generally have to cut the connectors off of any wires that come with the gauges to run them through the firewall. I ran mine throught the existing gromet on the drivers side. The passengers side is nearly inaccessable. Then I soldered the wires back together and used heat shrink to make a clean insulation. You have to have someone hold the wiring for you while you solder. If you do not have general knowledge of wiring or know how to solder, you could see if a shop will do it for you. I also found it difficult to find a "hot connection" wired with the key. My fuse box has no hot taps, so I had to splice from the red wire on the ignition.

I ran an oil pressure gauge and an exhaust temp gauge. I used a 1" nipple on the block, and just unplugged the oil light. I had to use 2000 degree putty to seal around the hole I made in the header for the exhaust temp gauge, or else the exhaust leaks out, making a ticking noise on excelleration. I didn't like the void of space on the dash either, and would rather have needles than lights that usually come on when it's too late. If an oil pressure gauge came with the car instead of the useless MPG gauge, then I probably would have been happy.

GOOD gauges will cost several hundred dollars.... you want to go electronic Vs Mechanical... and the key part is deciding what you need to monitor... if not boosted then obv. boost, egt, fuel pressure...etc is not too crucial.... but you could run...

-Volts

-Oil pressure

-Oil temp

-Water temp

Currently i have several options going.

1- Blitz Rvit- THis unit is the size of a credit card but it can display up to 6 different readings on a variety of engine functions ... it is amazing but a bit small & hard to read fast... Greddy makes something very similar called an Infometer.... these monitors take the place of 6 different gauges! i mounted this on my Steerign column right behind the wheel.

2- Autometer Nexus Gauges (3)

- Fuel pressure

- Oil temp

- Oil pressure

I am boosted so i felt these three readings were important to keep an eye on... these are mounted on my dash, one on either side of my Instrument Cowl, & one on my Steerign column to the left of my R-VIT.. very close to line of sight so i can easily see nay major changes to their readings... plus the Autometer Nexus system lets me set warning levels & they will change color if there is a problem or the reading goes into the warning range...

3. Zeitronix Wide band Sensor/Display ( Also KEY for boost as it covers O2 sensor and EGT, and Boost levels

THis unit is a Very high quality Wide band O2 sensor & it also has options to display boost and EGT as well.. I use these also... i watch my EGT and my AF ratios constantly... this unit is custom mounted inside the dash behind my custom modified JDM dash tray, the display shows thru the back side of the Dash tray.........

4. LMW I-manage...THis is actually a fuel computer but it also displays Max Boost level as well as my fuel pump duty cycle...I use it to double check the Zeitronix... boost readings

It is key to decide exactly what you need/want to monito & then where to mount everything... the Autometer Nexus stuff is great in that it is EASY to install, wire , & set up and it has MANY options .. BUT... i didnt want 12 gauges stretched up my A pillar & across my dash. so i use all these things to monitor everything i need to in my car....

jeeses.. .combined with my TeinEDFC controller & Ipod & the LEDs i use for the different things in my car .... it is like flying a jet some times... hehehe