Antenna & Window Tinting

Hello all,

I want to tint my windows metallic white to match my starfire pearl ride; I just want to make sure the antennas in our cars are no longer located in the rear window, (the manual says nothing on the subject). The sharkfin antenna is now the official antenna wether the car has satellite or not? Please educate me and thank you all in advance for your inpute.

Shark fin is just for XM. The radio antenna on printed on the rear glass and the antenna amplifier contacts the rear glass also. I would stay away from metallic tint and make sure they don't damage the contact points of the antenna amplifier

Hello all,

I want to tint my windows metallic white to match my starfire pearl ride; I just want to make sure the antennas in our cars are no longer located in the rear window, (the manual says nothing on the subject). The sharkfin antenna is now the official antenna wether the car has satellite or not? Please educate me and thank you all in advance for your inpute.

I put full metallic tint around my IS and have had no problems with radio pickup, AM or FM. I was initially concerned but it has had no noticable effect. Mine is a standard black/grey tint.

Hi Bluey... :P I know...I never use the radio but my MP3 player and custom cd's anyways...and my MP3 has am/fm radio, should I need to listen, and my car radio didn't work for whatever reason. I decided to go metallic :cheers:

The radio antenna is the top two runs of the rear window elements. Whatever tint you use goes on the inside of the glass, not the outside, so there's no interference or shielding at all:

Actually since the tint is on the inside of the window, there should not be problem, it would act as a reflector, but what do I know i'm just an electrical engineer and ham radio operator. Anyway, here are pictures of our IS250 with Red Metallic Tint and we have never had any radio reception issues since installing the tint 1-1/2 years ago.

The owner of the shop that tints our car windows requires customers to sign a waiver signifying that they understand that there may be radio reception problems before he will use metalic tint on a rear window with an imprinted antenna. He told me he had numerous complaints about radio reception from owners of various makes of cars with imprinted antennas after he installed metalic tint.

Perhaps some cars with metalic tint and imprinted radio antennas fare better than others. Regardless, we have non-metalic tint on the rear windows of both our Toyota made vehicles that have imprinted antennas.

I called my service manager who in turn spoke to his service director and the answer was yes, it will interfere...a lot? a little? that I don't know, but it will...

I am having my windows tinted this weekend and after all this conversations I was curious to follow the metallic route as I have a "starfire", So I decided to call my dealer and find out a little more.... I am not risking it... standard tinting will be...I do listen to radio a lot...

:wacko:

How about your cell phones? Now I'm told it interferes with cell phone reception? Has any of you Metallic Tint owners noticed any loss of reception? Thanks Sidney07 :rolleyes:

None at all :cheers:

Have had zero problems with radio reception and cell-phone reception in the car...see the picture in my previous post, my tint is two layer metallic film... John :cheers:

• 8 months later...