Timing Belt Question

I have a 2001 ES300 with 75,000 miles. According to the manual the timing belt should be changed at

90,000 miles or a 72 months. Clearly, the 72 months are up but I have never before heard of changing

a timing belt based on a time period? Should I change it and the water pump at this time?

Thanks.

seriously think about it. The timing belt is rubber and rule of thumb used to be that after 5-6 years you change it because the rubber starts to weaken. I am sure that significant improvements have been made in the quality of these belts so it is all your decision.

Keep in mind, your ES has an interference engine, meaning: should the timing belt break, there will be internal damage to your engine. This will result in far more costs to you than the cost of having the timing belt changed now.

I am sure that plenty people that have the same scenario, did not change it and made it to 90,000 miles. I am sure there are reports of people that didn't make it as well.

It is your decision.

Personally, I would just change it and the waterpump out shortly.

steviej

I would replace it at the recommended 90,000 miles.

My mechanic checked my timing belt at 90000miles and said it looked new. That was 3 years ago and have put on 30000miles no problem. Will change soon though.

• 1 year later...
seriously think about it. The timing belt is rubber and rule of thumb used to be that after 5-6 years you change it because the rubber starts to weaken. I am sure that significant improvements have been made in the quality of these belts so it is all your decision.

Keep in mind, your ES has an interference engine, meaning: should the timing belt break, there will be internal damage to your engine. This will result in far more costs to you than the cost of having the timing belt changed now.

I am sure that plenty people that have the same scenario, did not change it and made it to 90,000 miles. I am sure there are reports of people that didn't make it as well.

It is your decision.

Personally, I would just change it and the waterpump out shortly.

steviej

toyota 1mz-fe v6 is not interference engine.

Actually, it is in the later models. If memory serves me correctly, interference engines started with the 1999 model year. All years prior to that are non-interference.

Actually, it is in the later models. If memory serves me correctly, interference engines started with the 1999 model year. All years prior to that are non-interference.

Correct, In 1999 when the 1MZ-FE went to VVT-i it became an interference engine.

(VVT-i stands for Variable Valve Timing with intelligence. I remember it as Variable Valve Timing, now interference.)

steviej

• 3 months later...

Correct, In 1999 when the 1MZ-FE went to VVT-i it became an interference engine.

(VVT-i stands for Variable Valve Timing with intelligence. I remember it as Variable Valve Timing, now interference.)

steviej

I changed my 97 ES300 TM at 110,000 miles in 2008 (11 years later) for $350 at a Toyota dealer. The belt looked new.

My 95 corolla was changed at 89,000 mile and the belt also looke dnew.

Save your money for now