Audi Guy Looking To Buy A Lexus

audiman

Hi all. First, it's obvious from my screen name that I am an Audi owner and have owned quite a few over the years. Currently, I drive a 99 A6 Avant (That station wagon for those who don't speak Audi). My wife has an older Audi that I want to upgrade, possibly to a Lexus. I'm looking for a 4 dr sedan which will be a regular driver. Since I remember when gas was 19 cents a gallon, I am not looking for a hot rod or clear corners, or "mods" or lowering springs. No, I don't want a bolt on spoler either.

My search has included a number of 97-98-99 A8 models. No, I am not necessarilly need a V8 but the car is slightly larger than the A6 and that is the draw. Unfortunately, I can't find quite the right car or the right deal. I am especially upset with private and dealer sellers who don't know anything about the maintenence history of the car they are selling. Someone selling an Audi and not knowing whether the timing belt service has been done should be selling peanuts and not cars.

So, here I am looking on "the other side". I am not quite sure what model to target. My budget is $10K but wouldn't mind if i spent less. The quattro on the Audis is nice, but not absolutely necessary. Things that i have gotten used to are standard power seats both driver and passenger. climate control, trip computer, heated seats, remote door locks, and a tilt/slide sunroof.

There are a lot of "gotchas" with Audis. One is the horendous cost of major maintenence items like t-belt service. Another is the auto transmissions don't have dip sticks. Even to check fluid, you have to take it in to a shop and it's not cheap because it has to be cold, then warm up while connected to a computer. Speaking of computer, there is the EGR light which senses when you have too much money in your wallet and decides you need to donate some to the shop. Speaking of shops, no one in their right mind would take an Audi to a dealer so it's a good thing there are independant shops around.

Given my intro, and perhaps a desire to change my screen name to Lexusman. can anyone offer some advice? What should I expect to find different? Lexus reliability seem well documented, but what about maintenence? What about maintenence costs?

maintenance is tricky with older cars, especially those found in that price range. Your bound to hit a hard with at least 100K miles that probably also needs the timing belt replaced.

with that said, lexus maintenance will be cheaper than Audis. Looking at your specifications, your best bet would probably be the GS or ES model range.

both can be found with a 3.0 liter, probably 1995-1999 model range, cause lexus cars can keep a very high resale value. that 3.0 liter will make around 210 to 220 horses.

hope this helps.

oh and the GS can be found in a V8 as well.

Isn't the ES series going to be smaller than my A6? I was looking at the A8 because it is a bit bigger than the A6. I'm a decent sized guy with no flexibility. I just don't bend worth a *BLEEP*. Getting in and out of most cars is a pain.

Is the GS bigger or is it more sporty and lower? A lower roof line might mean i have to get on my hands and knees and crawl into it.

to many peoples surprise, the ES and the GS are very comparable in length. As some have pointed out to me, the new ES is actually more spacious than the GS.

The ES is leaned more towards soft suspension and just moderate handling wise. The GS is suppose to be more "sporty" but no lexus is really harsh at all.

Yeah, but I think the problem is that you can't get a 2002 or newer ES for under 10k can you? I think for 10k your in the 98-00 range at most, if your going to keep the mileage reasonable.

Dump the Audis and run! :o

I've owned 5 Audis, and know what a maintenance nightmare they are. And a friend of mine just dumped his '03 A6 for the same reason. Needed a new torque converter at 50k miles, for heck sake! Give me a break!! :blink: And that was just the start of his issues with the car.

"....there is the EGR light which senses when you have too much money in your wallet and decides you need to donate some to the shop. "

Hahaha....Now that is funny!!! :cheers:

If you're looking at the A8, then the LS would be your best match for that size. But, being and Audi fan for as long as you have been, driving a driver's car, would tend to make me think maybe the GS series might be better. The problem is your budget. People have discovered the used Lexus secret, and realize that age and miles really have very little impact on the car. It is a shame that you are in Michigan because I have my restored 95 LS up for sale down here at $7,900, with 132k miles on the clock, but maybe 30k on the suspension/bushings/brakes/moutns/etc... I've spent the past 3 1/2 years learning about cars with this LS, spent a few grand on oem parts and several days in the garage with the shop manuals makng sure things were installed correctly.

Take a look at the LS's. If you look at the 95-97 series, just make sure of a couple simple things that could cost some money. The engine computer...if the car stalls after a highway run, or you feel a stumble upon taking your foot off the gas around 40mph "gentle driving"...then the computer is bad. Starter.....there was a recall for them way back in the day....might want to take advantage of that to save yourself mucho dinero' in labor. And no matter what Lexus you look at "Toyota in general", make sure to find out if the timing belt and water pump have been replaced. The LS calls for it at the 90k mark.

Dealership should beable to give you some history on the car with the Vin number. Typically if you can find one that is a 1 owner...then they've taken it to the dealership, becuase if they could afford the car new, they can afford the dealership. Which is the 2nd best scenario you could find for yourself. The best case is finding someone on here that has learned the car, knows the tricks to discounted oem parts, and is a fanatic of the car. You know it was in good hands at that point.

But either way...if you go with a Lexus, you will be pleased, that's for sure. No doubt about it. I would be willing to bet that within the first 100 miles of your ownership, we'll be reading another thread that states "wow, i had no idea". :cheers: