Sponge/gasket Between Radiator And Fan

The sponge/gasket that seals the fan to the radiator has worn down and ripped and was sucked into the fan leaving only its remnants. Is this part even necessary or even replaceable. I was not able to find it on park place lexus.

yes. otherwise the fan sucks air from everywhere but through the radiator.

also important (tho rarely done on OEM cars with overly large radiators) is sealing the radiator to the grill / air dam radiator ducts, ensuring all the airflow passes through the radiator. we dont have that, but i felt like typing at 3am

To answer your question about whether or not it can be replaced, Yes. Go to Home Depot and get some appropriately sized weather striping and stick it in there. They have numerous "grades" of striping so I suggest you get the most expensive in the appropriate size. It will usually be some sort of rubber, rather than vinyl.

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes.

more importantly; who's the chick with the !Removed! in your avatar?

dont get the wrong impression the stuff isn't super critical, but now you know why they put it there ;) the home depot suggestion is very good.

Avatar is more important then HD right?:whistles:

I know the mice in MA like to eat the stuff..

Problem is: what is the part number too!

more importantly; who's the chick with the !Removed! in your avatar?

dont get the wrong impression the stuff isn't super critical, but now you know why they put it there ;) the home depot suggestion is very good.

That is my wife in Cuba. She will be driving the lexus next month...onward...so I want it in tip top shape. So far replaced, spark plugs, pcv, rotors, pads, fluids all around, cabin filtre...

To answer your question about whether or not it can be replaced, Yes. Go to Home Depot and get some appropriately sized weather striping and stick it in there. They have numerous "grades" of striping so I suggest you get the most expensive in the appropriate size. It will usually be some sort of rubber, rather than vinyl.

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes.

That is good advice. I guess I need to strip the old glue off and apply a new layer...only if I knew what kind to use???

There are only a few types: vinyl, foam rubber, and I think butyl rubber. Each of them come in the same sizes and have different color packaging to denote the material. Ultimately, the higher warranty + the higher the price = the better material. It will be one of the Rubbers. This is what the packaging will look like.

foam003.jpg

foam001.jpg