Rotor Resurfacing?

bishuna

I have 2001 RX 300 which my service consultant tells me that needs rotors resurfaced.

everything will add up to more than $1,000 just to resurface rotors and $ 400 each, if I want to replace the rotors.

From what I hear, the changes on brake pads and rotors are simultaneously done...

and I had my brake pads changed about 5 months ago at the lexus service center.

I had no problem w/t my previous service consultant but this new consultant is very sketchy

Maybe my car is getting old so it's breaking down. maybe those procedures are really necessary.

(he says "it's your choice."since I'm a girl who doesn't know a thing about a car, I totally believed him for an yr untill I realized I've spent at least $1500 for each service check up)

I sound paranoid but I would like to make sure.

Should I get it done at the service center like my service consultant tells me to?

or should I purchase rotors online and bring them to the nearest autoshop to replace?

Get the rotors and new pads online (for less $$$) and bring them to the mechanic down the street. It's not that hard for an average mechanic to do. It will cost a lot less as well.

It's actually better to get new rotors than re-surface old ones. I did the math at one point...

Get the rotors and new pads online (for less $$$) and bring them to the mechanic down the street. It's not that hard for an average mechanic to do. It will cost a lot less as well.

It's actually better to get new rotors than re-surface old ones. I did the math at one point...

Lex Kid is right...just had new pads put on my RX front and back...rotors looked fine. Had the shop that did the work for me get parts... Lexus had quoted me $270 for just rear pads I had front and back pads done for 380.

I agree. You can get Power Slot Cryo treated rotors for around 160 bucks each and they are way better than the stock ones you have on there now. You can also get some EBC pads for around 70 bucks an axle, and drive away with a way better brake set up than you have now. And putting the rotors on yourself is nothing. If you can change a tire, you can change rotors. There are also plenty of step by step threads here to do the brakes yourself also. It really isn't hard at all.

Go to tirerack.com and get Brembo rotors for less than $65 apiece. Try the Akebono ceramic brake pads and you will be very happy. Make sure the mechanic hand torques the wheels when reinstalling them. Using a air wrench warps more rotors than you can believe. Total for parts should be less than $300 if you want to do front and rear. suggest just front and new pads for the rear.