Timing Belt Change - Parts Info

ihateduke

My 99 RX300 has almost 130k miles on it. I'm finally ready to do the timing belt replacement. I have two related questions.

1. Should I buy the parts from Lexus? I'm planning on replacing the belt, two pulleys and the water pump.

Camshaft Timing Belt (13568-09080)

Water Pump (16100-29085)

Idler Sub (13503-0A010)

Idler Sub (13505-2010)

I have found some timing belt kits on ebay and through auto parts stores for about $150. The parts from Lexus are about $500.

2. Do I have to use a spanner wrench to do the repair?

• 2 months later...

My 99 RX300 has almost 130k miles on it. I'm finally ready to do the timing belt replacement. I have two related questions.

1. Should I buy the parts from Lexus? I'm planning on replacing the belt, two pulleys and the water pump.

Camshaft Timing Belt (13568-09080)

Water Pump (16100-29085)

Idler Sub (13503-0A010)

Idler Sub (13505-2010)

I have found some timing belt kits on ebay and through auto parts stores for about $150. The parts from Lexus are about $500.

2. Do I have to use a spanner wrench to do the repair?

I replaced mine at about the same milage. I was able to do the job without a spanner wrench. You can buy an aftermarket kit and it will function the same. The water pump is the only component that needs to be quality, but most aftermarket kits have quality products. It is a bit of a project so do not expect to have it done in an hour or two. You can easily complete the job in 4 - 6 hours dependant upon your skill level. I finished in about 3, but you do need to know what you are doing so as to not mess up the timing and position of the belt. I used a drop of white out to mark my old belt and new belt so as to make sure we were placing the new belt on in the proper position. I think I have pics if you need them. You can email me at : tjmc11@hotmail.com if you need more advice. I can pretty much walk you through it if needed. DO NOT GO TO THE DEALER TO HAVE IT DONE....you will spend way too much.

• 4 weeks later...

I have 99 RX300 with very low mileage - just hitting 60k Mi and due for service.

Lexus dealer trying to push timing belt replacement due to age of vehicle.

Current work mileage is only ~10 mi each way though sometimes heavy traffic (stop/go driving)

Do you think it is necessary to change or can it wait ?

Most timing issues do not appear for some time. I would plan on replacing it somewhere between 75 K and 100K. You can easily get 100 K.....I got over 120 befoer I even replaced mine. DO NOT BUY REMANUFACTURED, buy new.......I bought aftermarket, but all parts were new....paid a pretty penny (170 I think for all components).

ihateduke - so you just recently did your timing belt replacement on 99 RX - @ ~8yrs, >130k mi . What was the condition of the belt you changed?

tjmc11 - was yours also a '99 ? What was the condition of your old belt ?

Anyone else change timing belt at >90k mi, what was age of the vehicle when you did it ?

The LAST place on earth that I would buy a timing belt is from eBay! I would see if you can find Gates or other well known belt manufacturer for a quality belt. Hopefully, this will be the first and last timing belt for your car so why not di it right?

The other thing I would do is buy a new water pump, doesn't have to be a Toyota/Lexus imo, not a rebuilt unit. As long as the water pump is from a well known manufacturer, I would be ok with it.

Gary

ihateduke - so you just recently did your timing belt replacement on 99 RX - @ ~8yrs, >130k mi . What was the condition of the belt you changed?

tjmc11 - was yours also a '99 ? What was the condition of your old belt ?

Anyone else change timing belt at >90k mi, what was age of the vehicle when you did it ?

I replaced mine at 90k, primarily because I had a 100k warranty and if I hadn't I was worried I might get screwed if it broke in the next 10k. Warranty notwithstanding I would have dome it at 100k just for the peace of mind. I know many people have gotten a lot more out of them.

• 3 weeks later...
thx for the info.

Is mileage or time the more important factor ?

My wife's 99 RX is exactly 9 years old with 83k miles. Brother-in-law is a master mechanic who owns his own business. I don't take my cars to him because he is too expensive but he does know his stuff. Talked with him last night at the family Christmas Eve party. He said that timing belt should be replaced at 90k miles or 6 years, whatever comes first. He has seen timing belts last 9 or more years but has also seen many fail at 7-8 years. Good news is that our engines are non-interference. Bad news is that my wife could get stranded and need car towed. Think I'll get motivated and change all belts and water pump as preventative maintenance.

One quick question: Anybody have any tips on how to reload tensioner piston? Shop manual says to use a press which I don't have. Maybe I'll try a big C--clamp or use some long bolts with a piece of bar stock?

Artbuc,

If you have a needle nose vice grip you can squeeze the tensioner if I remember correctly.....In my kit however, it came with a replacement tensioner. I once used a large needle nose vice grip to squeeze and keep tension on the hydrolic tensioner....Hope this idea helps....Merry Christmas....

Artbuc,

If you have a needle nose vice grip you can squeeze the tensioner if I remember correctly.....In my kit however, it came with a replacement tensioner. I once used a large needle nose vice grip to squeeze and keep tension on the hydrolic tensioner....Hope this idea helps....Merry Christmas....

Thanks tjmc11.

We may be talking about two different things. The "tensioner" I have seen included in kits, eg Dayco and Gates, is actually the No. 1 Idler Pulley, although Gates and Dayco call it the tensioner. The "timing belt tensioner" in the shop manual looks like a hydraulic cylinder with a "push rod". You remove this tensioner by carefully alternately loosening its two mounting bolts. When completely removed, the push rod extends 10mm. According to shop manual, you have to compress this push rod with a press using between 200 & 2205 lbs of force in order to reinstall it. You temporarily hold the push rod in place with an allen wrench to reinstall it. I assume the actual force required is based on the condition of the tensioner. The tensioner push rod "loads" the No. 1 Idler Pulley so that it rotates on its pivot mounting bolt thereby tensioning the belt.

Did your kit include the push rod tensioner or just the No. 1 Idler Pulley? Which kit did you use?

Is it possible to change the timing belt without removing the hydraulic push rod tensioner?

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, thank you for bringing this topic up. I have an ES330 '04, the mileage is 96K now. I want to have the timing belt to be replaced. I'm afraid of taking it to the dealer. They charge so much higher than out side. Would you please introduce to me a good mechanics around my area. I live in Santa Ana, California.

Second, do i have to replace the water pump. I read the manual, but it doesn't recommend to replace it. I'm afraid that the labor to replace the water pump itself would be more rather than paying for replacing both timing belt and water pump at the same time.

Could you please give me the part number for the timing belt and the water pump of my Lexus ES 330 - 2004.

Thank you for your help.