I Can't Make Up My Mind!

Hi all,

I have an interesting choice to make. I am deciding if I want IS250AWD or IS350. I know those are two different types and you must be wondering what does this person want?! hehe... but here's the thing:

Options I want for sure are Mark Levinson/Navigation system and 18" wheels. I like how AWD drives, so I want to go w/ IS250AWD BUT this car doesn't come with Mark Levinson. It will be a special order for 08. I'd also have to swap all the tires and rims for 18" wheels. That's more $$ on top of already slim negotiation power for special order 08 car.

Then, I could just go for IS350 and get the wheels I want and the Mark Levinson. BUT I won't get it in AWD. More money, less gas mileages, higher insurance. BUT I don't have to special order this car so possibly gives me more negotiation power.

Do you guys get my point??? ;) What do you think?? Go w/ AWD? Still cheaper? or just go w/ 350 'cause the power would blow my mind anyway? D: I'm also curious how the price difference would be. Maybe not much different as I'd have to put more $$ into this IS250AWD because of the wheels and special order.

1) 08 IS250AWD

Pros: AWD, less expensive than IS350, insurance low, slightly better gas mileage than 350.

Cons: Will have to be special order because I want Mark Levinson, No 18" wheels option (if I want to swap, it's more $$), Dealer is asking for MSRP because it's an 08 special order.

2) 07 IS350

Pros: I can get Mark Levinson & 18" wheels w/o special order. Faster car. Can negotiate better.

Cons: No AWD. Costs more than 250. Insurance will be higher. Lower gas mileage than 250.

Hi all,

I have an interesting choice to make. I am deciding if I want IS250AWD or IS350. I know those are two different types and you must be wondering what does this person want?! hehe... but here's the thing:

Options I want for sure are Mark Levinson/Navigation system and 18" wheels. I like how AWD drives, so I want to go w/ IS250AWD BUT this car doesn't come with Mark Levinson. It will be a special order for 08. I'd also have to swap all the tires and rims for 18" wheels. That's more $$ on top of already slim negotiation power for special order 08 car.

Then, I could just go for IS350 and get the wheels I want and the Mark Levinson. BUT I won't get it in AWD. More money, less gas mileages, higher insurance. BUT I don't have to special order this car so possibly gives me more negotiation power.

Do you guys get my point??? ;) What do you think?? Go w/ AWD? Still cheaper? or just go w/ 350 'cause the power would blow my mind anyway? D: I'm also curious how the price difference would be. Maybe not much different as I'd have to put more $$ into this IS250AWD because of the wheels and special order.

ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE!

I think you pretty much summarized the pro's and con's. Really comes down to gas mileage and traction in snow and inclement weather....really only you can decide. I got the 250 AWD because of those reasons. I drive 600 miles a week in crappy Boston weather. But I feel that the 250 is under powered and perfer the 18" wheels. But Massachusetts State Police and my climbing insurance rates seem to have convinced me to drive closer to the speed limit.

1) 08 IS250AWD

Pros: AWD, less expensive than IS350, insurance low, slightly better gas mileage than 350.

Cons: Will have to be special order because I want Mark Levinson, No 18" wheels option (if I want to swap, it's more $$), Dealer is asking for MSRP because it's an 08 special order.

2) 07 IS350

Pros: I can get Mark Levinson & 18" wheels w/o special order. Faster car. Can negotiate better.

Cons: No AWD. Costs more than 250. Insurance will be higher. Lower gas mileage than 250.

The real question would seem, why is AWD one of your choices in the first place?

I currently drive BMW 325i. That's rear-wheel drive. There's a certain feel to the rear wheel drive. When I drove IS250, it felt a lot like my car. I guess I wanted to "upgrade" my car, either to a more stable car or a faster car. The driving feel I liked when I first test-drove IS was AWD. That's why :)

The real question would seem, why is AWD one of your choices in the first place?

I currently drive BMW 325i. That's rear-wheel drive. There's a certain feel to the rear wheel drive. When I drove IS250, it felt a lot like my car. I guess I wanted to "upgrade" my car, either to a more stable car or a faster car. The driving feel I liked when I first test-drove IS was AWD. That's why :)

Have you test drove the 350. If not, you might want to give it a try. I've seen complaints of the 250 being sluggish. Like bartkat said, if you are going to be doing a significant amount of driving in the snow and ice, then get the AWD, but by the time you add all of the upgrades to the 250, the price difference isn't that much. Plus you lose about 80 or so horses by going with the 250. Plus all of the extra weight of the AWD system will cut into the gas benefit of the 250.

Have you test drove the 350. If not, you might want to give it a try. I've seen complaints of the 250 being sluggish. Like bartkat said, if you are going to be doing a significant amount of driving in the snow and ice, then get the AWD, but by the time you add all of the upgrades to the 250, the price difference isn't that much. Plus you lose about 80 or so horses by going with the 250. Plus all of the extra weight of the AWD system will cut into the gas benefit of the 250.

You have a point! That is why I was going back and forth the idea of 350 and 250AWD. Here in Oregon, we don't have snow much. Maybe once or twice a year. But I like the feel of AWD. For money-wise, it's not that much more to get 350. But the gas mileage plus insurance can add up.

I am going to test drove 350 *finally* this evening!

The VDIM feature which is only available on the IS 350 does not do the job for you as far as "stability"?

VDIM ??? I was not aware of that. Is it like a stability control? Does better job than the ones on 250? I can't wait to test drive the car :)

The VDIM feature which is only available on the IS 350 does not do the job for you as far as "stability"?

VDIM ??? I was not aware of that. Is it like a stability control? Does better job than the ones on 250? I can't wait to test drive the car :)

From Lexus's website: Here

Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) [1] is a system which integrates braking, steering, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [2] and Traction Control (TRAC) systems to help minimize loss of traction in a turn.

Thank you all for your thoughts!!!

Well, I went to the dealer and test drove ALL 3; 350, 250, and 250AWD (in this order).

I know I'm gonna surprise you.... but the winner is 250.

Here're my thoughts on each car:

IS350: WOW... that's my first impression. This thing is a different beast. It got a lot of power and blew my mind! When I pushed the gas pedal all the way to the floor, it's so fast that it made me scared! hehe... This car is great! BUT... it's not for me. I can't make a use of the power. It's probably too sporty and aggressive for my personality. When I got out of the car, I just said "it's not really me. My personality would change if I drive this car."

IS250AWD: As I expected, this one has a good grip to the ground. Steering wheels felt heavy and firm. The power is ok but it just doesn't have the "kick".

IS250RWD: Steering wheel is very light, easy to drive (I like it light). It got the "kick" I like. Not as powerful as 350 but it's powerful enough for my driving style. The whole thing felt a little lighter and it goes. I floored w/ this car too, it definitely goes faster than AWD. It was very clear this car accelerates faster than AWD.

So... the winner is IS250 RWD! I guess stability wasn't as important as the speed. But 350 was too fast for me. :D

I'm sorry to dissapoint you guys... but I think 250 is just what I need. I'm really glad I got to drive all 3 models at once. It is easier to tell the difference when I sequentially test drive them. Each car got its characteristics and I just found what suits me the most.

Now I just have to find a place to order my IS250 with Mark Levinson, etc... The dealer is asking MSRP. I'm hoping to pay below MSRP even for 08. My car shopping continues. ;)

So... the winner is IS250 RWD! I guess stability wasn't as important as the speed. But 350 was too fast for me. :D

LOL > :wacko: You are too funny. You make a darn good point though in picking what feels best for you. After all, it's your hard earn money you will be spending. Perhaps you might want to consider an ES350 as well?

As for paying MSRP... with the IS350 selling like hotcakes in the Houston area, not many dealers care to negotiate since if you don't pay full price, the next person in line right behind you will. That was 2 of the 3 Lexus dealership's mentality when I shopped for my IS350 fully loaded. It helped to bring in a printout from Edmunds.com or automsn.com that showed the model you picked with the packages on them displaying Dealer Invoice, MSRP(sticker price), and TMV(true market value) on it. The TMV shows you specifically what the folks in your zipcode are actually paying for their ISx50 cars with the same features. Come in to the dealership educated and prepare and things will go much smoother. It lets the sales people know you both have all the cards on the table and there no BS needed.

The first dealer told me they can only knock $500 off MSRP. The second told me they won't budge because if I don't buy it, someone else will. The third was willing to knock $2000 off MSRP and sell me any additional Add-ons at their cost. You might not have the same luxury to deal with 3 different dealers in your town, but having the TMV will be a resourceful thing regardless.

Goodluck with your search.

LOL > :wacko: You are too funny. You make a darn good point though in picking what feels best for you. After all, it's your hard earn money you will be spending. Perhaps you might want to consider an ES350 as well?

As for paying MSRP... with the IS350 selling like hotcakes in the Houston area, not many dealers care to negotiate since if you don't pay full price, the next person in line right behind you will. That was 2 of the 3 Lexus dealership's mentality when I shopped for my IS350 fully loaded. It helped to bring in a printout from Edmunds.com or automsn.com that showed the model you picked with the packages on them displaying Dealer Invoice, MSRP(sticker price), and TMV(true market value) on it. The TMV shows you specifically what the folks in your zipcode are actually paying for their ISx50 cars with the same features. Come in to the dealership educated and prepare and things will go much smoother. It lets the sales people know you both have all the cards on the table and there no BS needed.

The first dealer told me they can only knock $500 off MSRP. The second told me they won't budge because if I don't buy it, someone else will. The third was willing to knock $2000 off MSRP and sell me any additional Add-ons at their cost. You might not have the same luxury to deal with 3 different dealers in your town, but having the TMV will be a resourceful thing regardless.

Hehehe... thanks for the compliment (?) for being funny. :D

If I was a guy, I'd get IS350 at a heart beat. A chick like me is fine w/ IS250 just as long as it got a good color and hot wheels :) It is quite comparable to my current car too, which is BMW 325i.

You are lucky to have 3 Lexus dealers in your area. I got ONE! There's one more but 2 hrs away. I did go there tho'. The negotiation hasn't started yet. Hopefully we can do this over the phone. I'm also thinking about using Costco auto buying program. I'm not sure if you have Costco around your area, it's like Sam's club in other area.

You are lucky to have 3 Lexus dealers in your area. I got ONE! There's one more but 2 hrs away. I did go there tho'. The negotiation hasn't started yet. Hopefully we can do this over the phone. I'm also thinking about using Costco auto buying program. I'm not sure if you have Costco around your area, it's like Sam's club in other area.

I had a similar problem with my Infiniti dealer.

I had 3 to choose from... the closest being 2 hrs away.

I visited once for my testdrive and a month later, everything was done over the phone.

(Even the down payment was a payment by phone)

The only time I had to go there again was to pick the car up.

It was actually a breeze, and I see no reason why your Lexus dealer can't do that for you.

Good luck! :cheers:

I had a similar problem with my Infiniti dealer.

I had 3 to choose from... the closest being 2 hrs away.

I visited once for my testdrive and a month later, everything was done over the phone.

(Even the down payment was a payment by phone)

The only time I had to go there again was to pick the car up.

It was actually a breeze, and I see no reason why your Lexus dealer can't do that for you.

Good luck! :cheers:

I spoke to 9 different dealers--one which was 9 hours away. Once you test drive, you just need to go to pick up the car. You definitely want to try at least 1 large volume dealer. I talked to one 2 hrs away, and I would have bought there, but a local guy beat his offer. With telephone and email, you should not be limited by those physically closest to you.

If I was a guy, I'd get IS350 at a heart beat. A chick like me is fine w/ IS250 just as long as it got a good color and hot wheels :) It is quite comparable to my current car too, which is BMW 325i.

Don't bother talking on the phone or driving 2 hrs. negoiate the entire deal via e-mail. Be specific and say "ready to buy" and the exact trim auto and trim lines you want. If anyone messes around like giving you MSRP right off the bat - tell them that there competition is not playing those games and that you are aware of the invoice, holdback and other incentives that they have. Get the e-mail address of the internet sales manager at each location - call for that if you have to. Avoid speaking on the phone or talking directly ----they also don't need to know that you would rather not have to drive 2 hrs. Get the game going between the dealers. and close the deal by Tuesday ..last day of the month. As a female you are at a disadvantage by speaking to them on the phone or going head to head. My wife used the aforementioned method to by me three cars in the last 2 years and she loves doing it. GOOD LUCK

Oh also if you are doing a trade ...if they ask initially say no... then after the price is set on the Lexus neg. the trade in separately ... for that you will have to go in and go head to head. my wife and did the good cop, bad cop thing....which meant finally my wife told me to walk out the door and head for the our car...I was not happy about doing that...but she was right he came running after me with the number I wanted for the trade. She told me worse case scenario you get in the car ----drive away.. go around the corner and come back if you really feel you want to close the deal and have had enough

Don't bother talking on the phone or driving 2 hrs. negoiate the entire deal via e-mail. Be specific and say "ready to buy" and the exact trim auto and trim lines you want. If anyone messes around like giving you MSRP right off the bat - tell them that there competition is not playing those games and that you are aware of the invoice, holdback and other incentives that they have. Get the e-mail address of the internet sales manager at each location - call for that if you have to. Avoid speaking on the phone or talking directly ----they also don't need to know that you would rather not have to drive 2 hrs. Get the game going between the dealers. and close the deal by Tuesday ..last day of the month. As a female you are at a disadvantage by speaking to them on the phone or going head to head. My wife used the aforementioned method to by me three cars in the last 2 years and she loves doing it. GOOD LUCK

Good Advise!

I recently purchased my IS350, I have had a couple of the 250's as loaners while my car was in the shop having work done on it. I will tell you that I noticed a huge difference between the 2 cars. The 250, while a very nice car did indeed lack power. It seemed necessary for me to drive it in the steptronic mode in order to get even the slightest bit of performance.

The AWD option is a great option and living in Oregon you may need it, is that why you want the AWD? I had an AWD car while saying in WA (on the San Juan Islands - lots of rain, dirt roads and gravel), I will say that as far as stability goes, I was very satisfied... if you are looking for an AWD for need, stability and safety, your choice is made right here. If it is "performance" you are after you may not be happy with a 250.

As far as the Mark Levinson/Nav, when I bought my car it was a very difficult option to find on a IS350 (don't ask me why...) but anyway, I know that the stereo in a car is a huge deal to me and the ML was an absolute MUST for my purchase. I will say that it is by far (light years ahead) with regards to the stock stereo. It it matters to you spend the extra $ get the 350 and your ML. Then you will have your 18" wheels too.

Oh... one other suggestion, join Costco and request a quote on the car through their buying program. I did it that way and was able to save a considerable amount on my car, I paid $41,200 (before t/l), my car sticker showed around $46K. Once I got my Costco number their dealer was not able to get me the car, so I went to other dealers and told them what I had in writing from the Costco offer, they were willing to beat the deal to sell me the vehicle.

Best advice I have for you is go test drive both of the cars... do it more than once in different weather conditions if you have the time and the patience to wait... your choice may be easier once you have had the opportunity to do so.

Best of luck on your purchase!

I recently purchased my IS350, I have had a couple of the 250's as loaners while my car was in the shop having work done on it. I will tell you that I noticed a huge difference between the 2 cars. The 250, while a very nice car did indeed lack power. It seemed necessary for me to drive it in the steptronic mode in order to get even the slightest bit of performance.

The AWD option is a great option and living in Oregon you may need it, is that why you want the AWD? I had an AWD car while saying in WA (on the San Juan Islands - lots of rain, dirt roads and gravel), I will say that as far as stability goes, I was very satisfied... if you are looking for an AWD for need, stability and safety, your choice is made right here. If it is "performance" you are after you may not be happy with a 250.

As far as the Mark Levinson/Nav, when I bought my car it was a very difficult option to find on a IS350 (don't ask me why...) but anyway, I know that the stereo in a car is a huge deal to me and the ML was an absolute MUST for my purchase. I will say that it is by far (light years ahead) with regards to the stock stereo. It it matters to you spend the extra $ get the 350 and your ML. Then you will have your 18" wheels too.

Oh... one other suggestion, join Costco and request a quote on the car through their buying program. I did it that way and was able to save a considerable amount on my car, I paid $41,200 (before t/l), my car sticker showed around $46K. Once I got my Costco number their dealer was not able to get me the car, so I went to other dealers and told them what I had in writing from the Costco offer, they were willing to beat the deal to sell me the vehicle.

Best advice I have for you is go test drive both of the cars... do it more than once in different weather conditions if you have the time and the patience to wait... your choice may be easier once you have had the opportunity to do so.

Thank you for your advice!!!

I've been talking to the dealer (2 hrs away) and the broker both at the same time and the dealer came up with $1000 over Invoice for 08 model. No price info on 08 yet but he's willing to work it based on 07 price. The difference should be very minimal anyway. Since he was on the road when I talked to him, he'd have to get back to the office and fax me the quote so I would feel comfortable ordering the car. So, he'll get back to me this afternoon.

Meantime, I read your posting and I went ahead and called Costco Auto Buying program. I contacted the fleet guy at the Lexus dealer near by through the program and made an appointment this evening.

I'll see what happens :)

Do you think $1000 over Invoice is a good price? If the deal via Costco program matches this, I'm thinking of placing an order tonight.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for your advice!!!

I've been talking to the dealer (2 hrs away) and the broker both at the same time and the dealer came up with $1000 over Invoice for 08 model. No price info on 08 yet but he's willing to work it based on 07 price. The difference should be very minimal anyway. Since he was on the road when I talked to him, he'd have to get back to the office and fax me the quote so I would feel comfortable ordering the car. So, he'll get back to me this afternoon.

Meantime, I read your posting and I went ahead and called Costco Auto Buying program. I contacted the fleet guy at the Lexus dealer near by through the program and made an appointment this evening.

I'll see what happens :)

Do you think $1000 over Invoice is a good price? If the deal via Costco program matches this, I'm thinking of placing an order tonight.

I have to agree with rivrIS on his experience with IS250 loaners. I too have a 350 and was very disappointed by the lack of anything resembling the power and engineering of the 350 in the 250 loaner. But like you have said, you're not a guy.

As for the negotiation and pricing, I made out better than rvrIS, but it wasn't easy. I was armed with Consumer Reports prices, Edmund's TMV (which they tried to use against me, and just plain determination. It was the last day of the month and they wanted to sell the car to me (I had purchased my wife's car there), but it took me leaving twice and threatening to leave a third time, a call to my wife, and just plain negotiating to make it happen. They used all the tricks like the sales manager, the dealership manager, etc., but I got what I wanted at the price I was willing to pay. It was below the TMV and sticker price. So go in with the attitude that you'd like the car but would walk away if they can't cut you a deal. Takes chutzpah!

I love my IS350! Good luck.