Break Dust Stains Embedded In Finish Of Rims 06 Gs430

Any new information on your wheel issue?

No, not yet. Still waiting for some type of Regional authority figure to swing through town. I'm increasingly pessimistic that this is going to turn out favorably. Lexus - supposedly the icon of quality and customer service... Probably my last $60K Lexus...

But Regional guy may surprise.

No, not yet. Still waiting for some type of Regional authority figure to swing through town. I'm increasingly pessimistic that this is going to turn out favorably. Lexus - supposedly the icon of quality and customer service... Probably my last $60K Lexus...

I brought mine in to the dealer on Saturday for a Sirius Radio issue and the Wheel issue so they still have the car. They took pictures and sent mine up to be reviewed, but I am getting the same story you are. I will keep you updated on my progress, if any.

I wanted to let you know that Lexus of Tampa Bay replaced my wheels for me this week!! I honestly believe that there is a known problem with these wheels and your story helped my plight. Definately let your dealership know about this because I didn't even have to put up a fight. Good luck, let me know if I can help.

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest, don't waste time fighting with one dealer. Go to a couple others, for all you know, they might replace them on the spot. That guy who looked at your pictures must be an idiot to think that the wheels of a $60K Lexus cannot withstand common substances on the road. Obviously you have defective wheels.

• 2 weeks later...
Talked to the service tech today. The regional manager guy didn't come to town, but some Lexus engineer did. He didn't look at my car, obviously, but he did look at the pictures. He's sending them to some guy that is 'above' the regional guy. But, he did comment that he'd never seen this before and seems to have concluded that something corrosive has come into contact with the finish. The service tech didn't sound optimistic that Lexus was going to approve replacement. He said we should hear something back in the next day or two...

Just a quick update - never heard from the dealer again. I guess this regional manager guy doesn't really exist...? Unless he's the VP of Lexus Runaround. That's what it feels like. If fact, as I type this, I'm getting annoyed again. I think I'll call them.

Just a quick update - never heard from the dealer again. I guess this regional manager guy doesn't really exist...? Unless he's the VP of Lexus Runaround. That's what it feels like. If fact, as I type this, I'm getting annoyed again. I think I'll call them.

Sorry to hear of your plight. We dumped our Range Rover 2 years ago, for the 400h. The RR had the same brake dust/ corrosion issue. The dealer DID acknowledge that the substance has to potential to be corosive (to the $1,600 each, per wheel). Not that it helps, but the nice thing about the hybrid versions that we have is that the regenerative drag is such that the brake pad's (and thus, very little dust) wear are nil. In fact we face a greater issue potentially from rust on the disks from little use. Ultimately the dealer will tell you it's up to the consumer to continually keep tons of wax on the rim finish or it will be to your own peril. Otherwise they'd be swamped with people wanting new rims.

Final update here. I can't say I'm terribly surprised. After waiting for about 50 minutes in the lobby area, I finally met with the District Srvc Mgr along with about 3 of his 'technicians'. They all simultaneously argued that something corrosive must have been applied to these rims. They had no explanation for the fact that the discoloration only appears on the sides of the "spokes" and all gave me a "deer in the headlights" look when I asked how something corrosive could be so discriminating in how/where it damaged the finish. Why wouldn't the damage have occurred all over the rims instead of just these areas...?

They also argued that the fact that the car cost $60K wasn't relevant. The same thing may have happened to a $20K Chevy. To which I answered, perhaps that's what I should have purchased, instead. Same quality finish on the rims...

In any case, all they really did was make a handful of completely invalid arguments and make me really mad.

My first and last Lexus...without a doubt.

Final update here. I can't say I'm terribly surprised. After waiting for about 50 minutes in the lobby area, I finally met with the District Srvc Mgr along with about 3 of his 'technicians'. They all simultaneously argued that something corrosive must have been applied to these rims. They had no explanation for the fact that the discoloration only appears on the sides of the "spokes" and all gave me a "deer in the headlights" look when I asked how something corrosive could be so discriminating in how/where it damaged the finish. Why wouldn't the damage have occurred all over the rims instead of just these areas...?

They also argued that the fact that the car cost $60K wasn't relevant. The same thing may have happened to a $20K Chevy. To which I answered, perhaps that's what I should have purchased, instead. Same quality finish on the rims...

In any case, all they really did was make a handful of completely invalid arguments and make me really mad.

My first and last Lexus...without a doubt.

Sorry to hear that, it amazes me how one dealer, like mine in Tampa, didn't even bat an eye and replaced them and yours wouldn't even consider it. I hope you don't quit and at least keep giving them headaches.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been following along this tread, curious to see what the outcome would be, though I personally felt from the very beginning that it was going to be a lost cause. Please do not take any offense for I am playing Devil's advocate but did you really think Lexus should replace your wheels due to something that you may have done (or didn't do) while cleaning the wheels?? (see your original post) I wouldn't think so. This is like me asking Lexus for a new paint job due to the swirl marks/spider-webbing that is slowly showing up in my paint from me simply washing my car.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been following along this tread, curious to see what the outcome would be, though I personally felt from the very beginning that it was going to be a lost cause. Please do not take any offense for I am playing Devil's advocate but did you really think Lexus should replace your wheels due to something that you may have done (or didn't do) while cleaning the wheels?? (see your original post) I wouldn't think so. This is like me asking Lexus for a new paint job due to the swirl marks/spider-webbing that is slowly showing up in my paint from me simply washing my car.

Actually, no, I didn't anticipate that Lexus would replace the rims. In fact, I never asked them to. It was their suggestion during my original visit that led me to believe that may be their eventual solution. One of their techs suggested that at a minimum, they could transfer rims from a new car who's buyer had opted for upgraded chrome wheels. I was also open to the possibility that they may have the wheels refinished, which isn't terribly expensive. The possibility of replacement was a path taken by the dealership at the very beginning. I simply followed it - to its dead end...

You may have also noticed a number of other Lexus owners that have had a similar problem, some of which were corrected by Lexus dealer replacements. Ultimately, I expected Lexus to stand behind their product - one way or another. If the finish on the rims isn't able to stand up to typical driving on the paved streets of the Dallas suburbs, or an occasional pass through the local car wash, or for that matter - any wheel cleaner I may or may not have bought at a local Autozone - then it isn't the quality I expected when I parted with $60,000. It's not like I mixed up my own special brew of Muriatic acid from my pool and dishwashing detergent and tried a wheel cleaning experiment. The bottom line is that these rims weren't exposed to anything extraordinary and the finish didn't hold up.

My local Lexus dealer, and the regional service manager showed no interest in correcting the issue - (outside of me purchasing some new rims from them...) but were more interested in trying to convince me that it must have been something I did, that it was an isolated ("we've never seen this before") problem and that the fact that my car costs $60K really wasn't paricularly relevant.

In any case, my next $60K car will probably be a BMW...

• 2 months later...

Actually, no, I didn't anticipate that Lexus would replace the rims. In fact, I never asked them to. It was their suggestion during my original visit that led me to believe that may be their eventual solution. One of their techs suggested that at a minimum, they could transfer rims from a new car who's buyer had opted for upgraded chrome wheels. I was also open to the possibility that they may have the wheels refinished, which isn't terribly expensive. The possibility of replacement was a path taken by the dealership at the very beginning. I simply followed it - to its dead end...

You may have also noticed a number of other Lexus owners that have had a similar problem, some of which were corrected by Lexus dealer replacements. Ultimately, I expected Lexus to stand behind their product - one way or another. If the finish on the rims isn't able to stand up to typical driving on the paved streets of the Dallas suburbs, or an occasional pass through the local car wash, or for that matter - any wheel cleaner I may or may not have bought at a local Autozone - then it isn't the quality I expected when I parted with $60,000. It's not like I mixed up my own special brew of Muriatic acid from my pool and dishwashing detergent and tried a wheel cleaning experiment. The bottom line is that these rims weren't exposed to anything extraordinary and the finish didn't hold up.

My local Lexus dealer, and the regional service manager showed no interest in correcting the issue - (outside of me purchasing some new rims from them...) but were more interested in trying to convince me that it must have been something I did, that it was an isolated ("we've never seen this before") problem and that the fact that my car costs $60K really wasn't paricularly relevant.

In any case, my next $60K car will probably be a BMW...

Enjoy your BMW, I will monitor the BMW forums when you arrive. Your unhappy I hate this car post count will be in the hundreds. Good Luck.

This guy hits the nail right on the head.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;#entry286715

• 6 months later...

Forget about the dealer. Write directly to Lexus corporate customer service and tell them the whole story. Several years ago when I purchased a SC 430 with runcrap tires on it I wrote a letter to them and they gave me a five hundred dollar credit toward replacement tires. Give it a try. You can also have the wheels reconditioned at a wheel reconditioning company. There used to be one on LI NY that I think was called American wheel or something like that. I've heard there is another one in S. Florida so they're probably available in many places. It's about a buck and a half per wheel. They'll come back looking like new.

Jason,

Anything new on this? I have the same problem and will be taking my car to the dealer on Tuesday. (07 GS350s 18" five spokes)

Thanks,

Keith

No, nothing new. I've let it go and have just lived with it. I've thought about having after-market chrome applied. Not sure if that's a good idea, but it can't look worse... In any case, the problem persists for now...