When To Change The Timing Belt?

time is the more sensitive factor.

The timing belt is made of rubber and rubber will slowly loose its integrity over time.

5 years was the usual norm for most timing belts, however there have been improvements in the quality in recent years.

You have a 99 ES which has an "interference" engine. That means in the remote possibility that the timing belt breaks, there will be damage to the engine internals when the valves and pistons come crashing together.

Personally, at 8 years, I would seriously consider it rather than wait the next year and a half to reach 90k miles.

steviej

I've run past the recommended interval to change the timing belts on all my vehicles (past and present). I'm not a negligent owner, but of the ones I have changed at around the 70-80K mile mark, they looked pretty much like new... no cracks, no fraying, nothing.

As with any material, you've got to consider what it's exposed to. If you do a lot of idling, then that belt has a ton more 'miles' on it than the odo shows, which is why the manufacturer recommends to change out the belt at a much earlier date if it's a delivery/mail service vehicle (since it sees more wear). Other than fatigue cycle, factors like salt air, extreme heat, extreme cold, humidity (or lack of), etc. all play a factor into how long your belt(s) will last. Is the timing belt exposed to any solvents, oils, or other detremental fluids? If your vehicle is garaged most of the time also plays into it.

For me, I live in the mild PNW, and my rides are garaged every night and in the shade during the day. They don't see an extreme of much of anything, so I've run up past 100K and never had any problems. If I were you, and if your '99 has been well cared for and maintained, I'd let it go up to the 90K mile mark... maybe even past depending on the vehicle's history. But if there was any kind of concern or hesitance, since it's an interference engine, i'd have it changed. Here's a nice link on everything you could want to know about a timing belt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timing_belt

Thanks for the advice. We are the original owners and the car has seen normal use and it is garaged.

We like in Kentucky so it has seen hot and cold cycles. It has never leaked any fluids. Is there any way to gauge

TB wear by looking at the accessary belt wear? They look fine, and I don't see visible cracks.

look at it this way...

if you change it now you know your safe and the cost can be controlled.

if you wait and something happens, you might have to pay for an upper engine rebuild on top of paying for the belt.

either way you still have to pay for the belt.

Yeah, in a way your other belts can be a reference, since they are pretty much in the same environment. If they look good, your TB is probably looking pretty good. In fact, since your TB is covered in a shroud, it should look even better since it's not exposed.

A lot of what I wrote has to do with the question of "what's more important, miles or time?" If you haven't had any leaks and you haven't had any extremes (like an engine overheating or anything), then miles would be the more important factor. At 77K with no problems, I personally wouldn't be concerned much at all. Although, like Anthonyiez noted, if you want to play it super safe, you can change it now.... but then a statement like that could be applied to someone changing the belt at 50K, 'just to be safe'. It's always a judgment call, but again, if your vehicle has been well cared for and hasn't seen any extremes, you should be very safe waiting till the 90K to change your belt.

We are the proud owners of a 1997 ES300 with 73300 miles on it. We bought it Sept. '06 when it had 65,000 miles on it. The previous one-owner had it for service into the dealer on time and I have all the records. We are about to go on a 2,000-mile trip and my recent visit for an oil change and replacement of break light bulb; to the local independently owned Lexus/Toyota guy recommended the following (I am placing the email in it's entirety). Is this an over-kill? :wacko:

"I LOOKED THROUGH ALL THE RECORDS YOU PROVIDED AND THERE IS NOT A REPAIR

INVOICE FOR TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT.

IF YOU REPLACE ONLY THE TIMING BELT IT WILL COST $395.00

IF YOU REPLACE THE TIMING BELT, WATER PUMP, BEARINGS AND FRONT ENGINE SEALS-

THE COST WOULD BE $990.00

WE CAN CHECK ALL THE ITEMS FOR LEAKING WHEN WE ARE IN THERE, HOWEVER MOST

PEOPLE REPLACE FOR PREVENTATIVE REASONS, DUE TO THE AGE OF THE CAR."

We have absolutely no issues with the car at this time. It runs like a top, no leaks, no overheating, nothing!

Thanks for your opinion.

We are the proud owners of a 1997 ES300 with 73300 miles on it. We bought it Sept. '06 when it had 65,000 miles on it. The previous one-owner had it for service into the dealer on time and I have all the records. We are about to go on a 2,000-mile trip and my recent visit for an oil change and replacement of break light bulb; to the local independently owned Lexus/Toyota guy recommended the following (I am placing the email in it's entirety). Is this an over-kill? :wacko:

We have absolutely no issues with the car at this time. It runs like a top, no leaks, no overheating, nothing!

Thanks for your opinion.

98 G3, I changed mine @ 110k and it looked almost new. When in doubt change it............ It's your call.

Oh Man! Here we go again, having a 2000 ES300 with 71000 miles, 7 yrs old, I'm opening the TB shoud cover to inspect for crack or damage or leakage if any. Rather be on the safe side! Just got a master key made here at a local Locksmith cost $ 430.00 (never had a master key when bought May of last year, I'm da second owner) cheaper then the dealer $600-1,400.00

We are the proud owners of a 1997 ES300 with 73300 miles on it. We bought it Sept. '06 when it had 65,000 miles on it. The previous one-owner had it for service into the dealer on time and I have all the records. We are about to go on a 2,000-mile trip and my recent visit for an oil change and replacement of break light bulb; to the local independently owned Lexus/Toyota guy recommended the following (I am placing the email in it's entirety). Is this an over-kill?:wacko:

Thanks for your opinion.

It "seems" like your $999 is a little high here. I paid less then that for all the item you stated (+ coolant & drive belt). Also what are front seals? That could mean a lot. i had my cam and crank seals done since it was cheap.

• 2 weeks later...
We are the proud owners of a 1997 ES300 with 73300 miles on it. We bought it Sept. '06 when it had 65,000 miles on it. The previous one-owner had it for service into the dealer on time and I have all the records. We are about to go on a 2,000-mile trip and my recent visit for an oil change and replacement of break light bulb; to the local independently owned Lexus/Toyota guy recommended the following (I am placing the email in it's entirety). Is this an over-kill?:wacko:

Thanks for your opinion.

It "seems" like your $999 is a little high here. I paid less then that for all the item you stated (+ coolant & drive belt). Also what are front seals? That could mean a lot. i had my cam and crank seals done since it was cheap.

Well, it is done. They did the following for the $994: Timing Belt, Water Pump, Cam Seals and Crank Seals, New Idler Bearing and Tensioner Bearing, New Drive Belts and New Thermostat and Coolant.

They gave me all the old part, I think they washed them. :excl: :( :rolleyes: I guess the next big hurdle is at 90K-95K with new spark plugs, transmission fluid and what else? :cries:

Thanks everyone for your opinions, this is a coold site, glad I found you. :geek: