Rx-300 - Michelin Cross Terrain Or Ltx M/s?

RhoXS

Our RX-300 has Goodyear Integrity tires. Although they still have over half the tread depth left, I want to replace them because their traction on a wet surface is unacceptably dangerous and they are much to quick to hydroplane. I also think their overall handling is poor and I perceive them to be much noisier than I think they should be.

I have been researching a replacement tire. I looked at the Tire Rack reviews/ratings and I also received some very good input in other discussions. I am now narrowed down to one of two Michelin products; the Cross Terrain or the LTX M/S.

In spite of all my research I cannot seem to find anything on which to base an intelligent decision as these two tires appear to be very similar. The only real difference appears to be price ($21.00/tire).

The important parameters to me are:

- Wet surface traction / hydroplaning resistance

- Handling

- Quiet

Ride comfort is also important but not at any consequential expense of the items above. We live in Florida so ice/snow handling is of no importance.

I would appreciate any thoughts about which of these two tires is the "better" tire.

I have had both tires on my RX300, The LTX are great tires, wear forever, but get noisy when the mileage put on them. I bought Cross Terrains next (Also Michelin) and they too are wearing very well (Ihave 70k miles and they look great) and they are much quieter than the LTX. I would personally go with the Cross terrain michelins again. Great tire and love the ride.

Michelin Cross Terrains, all the way! :cheers: :cheers:

I had them on my Rx300, but I only used them for 5k miles before we got rid of it (it was unexpected it got into an accident, fixed it, then traded it in for the GX) but my GX currently has Cross Terrains also, and at 50k miles, they still look like they can handle another 10k miles AT LEAST so these things are really nice and mine are still quiet even at 50k miles... Plus you have to remember, my GX is HEAVIER so that means it should eat through the tires more quickly compared to the RX300 so you should get some high mileage satisfaction with the Cross Terrains! ;)

But I do have to admit, the Bridgestone Dueler H/Ts are a lot quieter (what i have on the 4Runner), but waaay less thread than the Cross Terrains.

Thanks for all the good advice. I am going to go with the Cross Terrains. I am really looking forward to experience the difference once they are installed.

Interestingly, I found I can save almost $100 by purchasing the tires at a local chain called Tire Kingdom rather than ordering them from The Tire Rack. Total cost installed, including taxes, disposal fees, balancing etc., is approximately $20.00 less than only the delivered cost from The Tire Rack. Tire Kingdom has a $100.00 on the spot rebate. I am a little apprehensive using this chain as I do not have a high level of trust in them but the total cost difference is too much to ignore.

I just put Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's on my rx300 and they are absolutely WONDERFUL. Dispite the VERY deep tread they are extremely quiet. I looked at the "ratings" at tirerack.com and they almost double the mich's and any of the competition.

I still think they're worth it at $145 a tire. You get $75 back if you buy all four though. I love them!