Caliper And Mount Problem

acw

Hi everything. I am new to this forum and need help.

1. I have a 96 ls400 and when the car is cold shifting from park to reverse or to drive there is a very hard jerk. Once the car is warm it is ok but the jerk is really bad at when cold. Does this sound like an engine mount problem?

2. I also have a crunching noise when the brakes are applied at slow speeds. The dealer stated that it is coming from the calipers. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem versus buying a new set calipers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i have 96 Ls as well and my advice to you is wait until it heats up. even in a cold weather it takes no more then 5 mins for rpms to go down from 1500(!!!) to regular 700. try to switch to gear on any car at 1500 rpm and u will get the same result. dont abuse ur car. wait! it will be cheaper for you in a long run. because you are killing your transmission.

Did you try to change the brake pads and mashine your rotors? dont go to the dealer. go to another show and ask em to change ur brake pads (get original ones) and resurface your rotors. if this will not help only then consider that it is your caliper. and you dont have to buy all 4!. just find out which one and then you can get a rebuilt one from a store. ask VBdenny where he got his.

Hey, I saw this post. I think the problem is because the Lexus engine runs so damn high when on cold idle. Mine routinely idles at 1600 RPM's when it's a cold start up. Even here in Virginia Beach, with the car in the garage, ands it's 90 outside. I always try to leave time to warm the engine because it takes about four or five minutes for the idle to drop to 600 RPM's. I asked the dealer, they said it's normal and not adjustable. I asked others on this forum, and they all said the same thing. Well I think it sucks that the cars idles so high. What kind of idiot engineer would do that? My 2001 Nissan pickup idles at aboout 900 RPM's when cold.

Concequently, when you shift into reverse, of course your going to get a huge jolt because it's almost like doing an old time tranny slam (like I did with my mom's car when I was in HS). I gotta think it's really bad for the car. If any of you Lexus company dudes are checking up on us, tell us what the deal is.

If it turns out to be your caliper, man they are a piece of cake to replace. I took pictures and made a powerpoint show on how to do it. I couldn't post it because I guess this forum doesn't let us store that type of file. Email me and I send it. I also posted pictures in the gallery.

Need more help? let me know. Took me 1/2 to replace the first time I did it.

well an idiot engineer probably did engineer your beautiful nissan

sorry for flaming you but you should atleast try and investigate things before attacking them

the reason a toyota lasts so long and trouble free is just because of its stupid engineering

the main reason is not only to reduce emissions on a cold car

but to let the engine receive it maximum amount of lubrication at start up

any 1st year engineering student will tell you that

basically the upper part of the engine is very dry at start up as most of the oil has all dripped down to the pan

so basically to save 90% of all engine wear (which is at startup)

they make the engnie lubricate it self properly

as metal on metal is not a very good thing

now you know the reasoning to the stupid engineering

Sorry, but I don't buy it. I have seen Nissans go well over 300.000 miles, and I had a Cadillac that went over 300,000. Neither had to idel at 1600-1800 RPM's to last. Having that high an idle when most people (I do warm my car up) just turn the key and cram it in gear. My guess is that you were right on the target about it being an emissions issue. Engines put out their highest levels of emissions upon cold start up and I'll bet it wouldn't pass msuter unless they jacked the idle up.

Say what you will, but I think having a cold engine jump to 1800 RPM's is not desireable. Having to ride the brake to keep the car under the 25MPH speed limit is good engineering?

All the help is greatly appreciated. I will make sure I let the car warm up for 5 minutes. Also, from my understanding, the front brakes were changed by the dealer just before I bought the car. I am not sure if the rotor was changed. I also took the car to NTB and they checked the car and noticed the crunching noise but stated everything looked good and tight.

glad you learned something

i find this site great for little bits of info

for problems that i never really paid attention to

all lexus modles have the annoying high idle, it is just to stop premature wear

just remember take everything people say ( myself included ) with a grain of salt

as everyone think they know it all ( again myself included :lol: )

Hey, I saw this post. I think the problem is because the Lexus engine runs so damn high when on cold idle. Mine routinely idles at 1600 RPM's when it's a cold start up. Even here in Virginia Beach, with the car in the garage, ands it's 90 outside. I always try to leave time to warm the engine because it takes about four or five minutes for the idle to drop to 600 RPM's. I asked the dealer, they said it's normal and not adjustable. I asked others on this forum, and they all said the same thing. Well I think it sucks that the cars idles so high. What kind of idiot engineer would do that? My 2001 Nissan pickup idles at aboout 900 RPM's when cold.

Concequently, when you shift into reverse, of course your going to get a huge jolt because it's almost like doing an old time tranny slam (like I did with my mom's car when I was in HS). I gotta think it's really bad for the car. If any of you Lexus company dudes are checking up on us, tell us what the deal is.

If it turns out to be your caliper, man they are a piece of cake to replace. I took pictures and made a powerpoint show on how to do it. I couldn't post it because I guess this forum doesn't let us store that type of file. Email me and I send it. I also posted pictures in the gallery.

Need more help? let me know. Took me 1/2 to replace the first time I did it.

VB, can you please e-mail me your powerpoint show on brakes? I tried e-mailing you via the forum but that function is turned off. Please e-mail to wmc@tnaz.net

Thanks brutha...

I need to remove my rotors and have them turned. I think all of them? I want to change out the brake pads as well.

I also need my front motorcycle ('93 GSXR750) rotors turned. I go fast and stop fast... Hehe B)