Maintenance Question

I pick up my IS 250 X package this afternoon. I noticed on the brochure it states that the tires may get less than 15k miles of tread life and the brakes less than 20k on the pads on 50k on the rotors. Would you say this is an accurate statement? What would you say pads and tires cost? I drive approximately 15k per year and the thought of replacing tires each year is a bit troubling.

Thanks in advance for the response.

I pick up my IS 250 X package this afternoon. I noticed on the brochure it states that the tires may get less than 15k miles of tread life and the brakes less than 20k on the pads on 50k on the rotors. Would you say this is an accurate statement? What would you say pads and tires cost? I drive approximately 15k per year and the thought of replacing tires each year is a bit troubling.

Thanks in advance for the response.

I don't have the answer - but found it troubling before I bought the car ( I drive 30K a year). I was told it varies on driving - city v. highway. I just resigned myself to see what happens since it was the only car I really liked. But I seems to me that AWD cars eat up tires faster.. For example when my wife bought a van the Toyota review in Consumer Reports on the Sienna indicated - "fast wearing, expensive to replace tires"

I think that Toyota vans have "run flat" tires which are very expensive and don't last very long.

The mileage estimates sound like a CYA statement from Lexus. They also say that burning a quart of oil every 500 miles is "normal". When the tires and etc. are replaced, use parts that are designed to last longer rather than OEM. Elsewhere on the LOC forum can be found posts about the longevity of tires and brakes. Try doing a search.

I think that Toyota vans have "run flat" tires which are very expensive and don't last very long.

The mileage estimates sound like a CYA statement from Lexus. They also say that burning a quart of oil every 500 miles is "normal". When the tires and etc. are replaced, use parts that are designed to last longer rather than OEM. Elsewhere on the LOC forum can be found posts about the longevity of tires and brakes. Try doing a search.

That's about right. People are getting 20 to 25,000 miles from the OE tires. Same for the brake pads. The numbers quoted by Lexus are pretty much worst case (besides track racing) nubers.

Anyone aware of how durable the rotors are? On the Honda/Acura side, the rotors could only be turned 2 times max before needing replacement. Typically, unless you've had erratic driving patterns, you won't need them turned, rather just a simple brake pad change is needed. I'm sure the Lexus dealers recommend turns every time a brake change is needed, but not sure this is reality? Anyone aware?