93 LS400 antenna not retracting

lafar

Hi!

We got a new used LS400 a couple months ago but it has one problem: the antenna is not retracting and extending. Tried cleaning the sections but no avail. The motor seems to work, when the stereo is turend on, it whirrs but nothing happens with the antenna. What could be causing this? How do I fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help. :D

Hi

I have not had a Lexus antenna apart but I have fixed two Toyota antennas and I think they are similar.

There is a flexible plastic piece inside the steel outer shell. This plastic piece is about 3/16 or 1/4 inch in diameter. It has gear teeth on one side. The flexible plastic piece is driven by a gear down at the bottom of the antenna mechanism. As the antenna is driven down the plastic piece is wound around a drum in the bottom of the antenna.

Probably the plastic piece is broken, at least that has been my experience. If this is the case it can be repaired by replacing the plastic piece along with a new antenna rod ( It all comes together). On a Toyota the part is about $100 (robbery!), but a whole new antenna was about $250.

The antenna come apart by unscrewing and removing the retaing cap and pulling it out. You will probably be able to tell if it is broken.

If you are lucky the part can be replaced without taking the mechanism apart, but don't count on it.

Good Luck

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

I can't be sure what could be causing it, but it kind of sounds like the pole has come loose. This is where the Mast's claw or chain has come loose or not gripping anymore.

There are a few options I would recommend. Both involve replacing the antenna's mount mast. SOmeone I know once broke his antenna while entering his garage. He replaced his antenna with a flexable/fixed mount antenna he bought from Radio Shack. The other option is buying the Mast from Lexus and installing it yourself. Cheaper.

You can check what's going on with your antenna, by removing the carpet/inner lining in the trunk. The Antenna mast is exposed on the 94's, and that would be a good place to start.

I hope this helps with your troubleshooting.

Thanks guys.

We (my dad and I) also suspect this to be the plastic retrator thingy. However, given this is a Lexus and the complicated electronics that go along with it, we're anxious that once disconnected and then reconnected, the antenna or, worse, the whole stereo system won't work.

We'll give it a shot again, thanks for the advice.

you shouldn't have any problems once you reconnect the main wires back to the new one. You're radio can never die, since an antenna is just a signal booster. Since you're afraid, I would recommend you getting the Antenna unit from Lexus or Toyota. There should be some directions on how to change the units too. If not talk to a service guy and ask him how they would do it. They should give you the information. If you live in the Washington DC area, send me an email at nabilahmed02a@netscape.net

• 2 months later...

I just replaced my antenna mast on my 93 LS a week ago with a new Camry mast from toyota for $38 dollars. It works fine. I'd try toyota before Lexus on any parts. If your antenna plastic drive is broken, you'll have to remove the whole antenna assembly from the car trunk and take it apart to remove the broken off plastic pieces before installing the new mast. I was also told from a local stereo shop that they would install the new mast for around $30. Hope this has helped.

plastic track on antanna mast is broken. Pull antanna mast from top of fender after removing retainer nut with spring clip pliars. Next remove antanna housing from inside trunk, pull black plastic box apart and remove remaining plastic track. Put back together and reinstall housing. New mast will go in from the top. Turn radio on and off to activate motor to pull new track down into housing.

• 3 months later...

My antenna cable broke on my 92 LS400. No big deal right! The cable broke about six inches from the bottom of the mast so it was easy to remove the mast but the rest of the cable was in side the antenna motor unit. So again I think no big deal, I'm a mechanical guy, I can do this. I removed the antenna motor unit opened it up, removed the broken cable, and re-assembled the antenna motor unit; it was easy, piece of cake. Before re-installing the antenna motor unit back in the car I decided to test it. From inside the trunk I plugged in the antenna motor unit, grounded it, and turned the radio on and then off, the motor turned on for both (on/off). So I'm thinking, lets insert the new antenna cable and mast. With the radio on I inserted the cable then had my kid turn off the radio. The antenna motor started but would not draw in the cable, it just grinded. I turned the radio on and the antenna motor started like I expected it would but drew in the cable. Yes something got reversed, when the radio is turned on the antenna goes down, turn the radio off and the antenna goes up. I have looked at schematics and look at this thing every way I can think of but it nothing I do has helped.

Any experience or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Carl

My antenna cable broke on my 92 LS400. No big deal right! The cable broke about six inches from the bottom of the mast so it was easy to remove the mast but the rest of the cable was in side the antenna motor unit. So again I think no big deal, I'm a mechanical guy, I can do this. I removed the antenna motor unit opened it up, removed the broken cable, and re-assembled the antenna motor unit; it was easy, piece of cake. Before re-installing the antenna motor unit back in the car I decided to test it. From inside the trunk I plugged in the antenna motor unit, grounded it, and turned the radio on and then off, the motor turned on for both (on/off). So I'm thinking, lets insert the new antenna cable and mast. With the radio on I inserted the cable then had my kid turn off the radio. The antenna motor started but would not draw in the cable, it just grinded. I turned the radio on and the antenna motor started like I expected it would but drew in the cable. Yes something got reversed, when the radio is turned on the antenna goes down, turn the radio off and the antenna goes up. I have looked at schematics and look at this thing every way I can think of but it nothing I do has helped.

Any experience or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Carl

Reverse polarity with the wires? I dunno, sounds simple but maybe? Switch the wires to the opposite contact.