Ac Freon Recharge

so I have a long road trip coming up and want to give the ac a little recharge. the freon in a stock 95 sc400 is r12 correct? Im not sure if it has been converted to r134. anyone know how I can find out. the last owner doesnt have any documentation. what should the freon line pressure be for r12? Thanks.

-Brendan

so I have a long road trip coming up and want to give the ac a little recharge. the freon in a stock 95 sc400 is r12 correct? Im not sure if it has been converted to r134. anyone know how I can find out. the last owner doesnt have any documentation. what should the freon line pressure be for r12? Thanks.

-Brendan

Check under your hood man. Mine is right inside to the top right. Yellow sticker that will have a pressure warning on it and somewhat of a water mark type thing that says r134a or whatever it is. Hope this helps.

-Brendan

Should be R12 unless it has been converted to R134a, in which case R134a compatible fittings were added over the high and low pressure ports, and they don't fit R12 hose connections. Any A/C shop can tell you which you have.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not completely certain but I think the R12 & R134A fittings are not the same size. Also, I saw an R134A retrofit kit at Walmart for cheap. Just fittings I guess. However, I know you ban't mix the 12 with the 134A so thats a problem.

-Brendan

Hi Brendan,

The fittings are different and incompatible. The R12 fittings are smaller than the R134. If conversion was done professionally there will be a warning sticker informing of the fact with oil type added and refrigerant weight. Your a/c mechanic will know instantly what you have. If you are doing this yourself you can probably only get R134 with hoses to match. I suggest you take it to an a/c shop; they will evaluate it, then evacuate the system and fill with the proper weight of R134 or top it up with R12, whichever is appropriate. Good luck.

Here's a question. Has anyone ever used one of those DIY Freon Recharge Kits? I saw one the other day at Advanced Auto Parts for around $20 and it had a pressure gauge and everything. If this works and it is somewhat easily done (which it appears to be) it would be like $20 vs. $120 right? Please let me know if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks.

Here's a question. Has anyone ever used one of those DIY Freon Recharge Kits? I saw one the other day at Advanced Auto Parts for around $20 and it had a pressure gauge and everything. If this works and it is somewhat easily done (which it appears to be) it would be like $20 vs. $120 right? Please let me know if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks.

They work OK if you have R134. Most attach to the low pressure service port, on the compressor on my sc400. Assuming you have a slow leak, you can add some until the gauge reads in the proper range. Do this with the engine and a/c running. It's not as accurate as evacuating and a calibrated refill, but it can get you through for a while.