Aftermarket Gps Systems

Grumpa72

Has anyone used the aftermarket GPS systems available from either Garmin, TomTom, or Magellan? I am looking for one with US and Canada maps, touch screen, Bluetooth, and voice commands. I do not need more than that, at least as far as I can tell. Opinions welcomed.

TIA,

Gary

Hi Gary,

I am using a Garmin 2610 it does not have Bluetooth, I guess it's too old for that.

During my research which one to buy I discovered that Garmin has the better mapping system.

The thing just never makes a mistake.

Good luck

Karl

I just got one on EBay a Garmin C340, fantastic, has more addresses than my son's new Lexus ES350. His lexus unit didnt have his address or street. my garmin did. and the C340 speaks the street names to you, not just turn right at next street. Good luck in your search and dont forget Ebay, I got mine brand new for $250 and that included shipping. Garmin also has free updates on their software maps and versions.... sorry grumpa mine does not have bluetooth or voice commands though, but do look on ebay...

I recently started a thread about the Magellan 2200T I bought at Costco for $250 (it is on sale online at costco.com today for $219): http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ost&id=6987

The 2200T has a touch screen, maps of the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico and says the street names. After using it constantly every time I have driven for the past week - just for fun - I have to say that I am amazed at what I got for the low price. I can tell you more after an upcoming ten day fly/drive trip to Florida.

A coworker's sister bought a 4000 series (I don't remember the exact model number) wide screen version of the Magellan at Costco for $399 about the same time I bought the 2200T. The 4000 series she bought has a Bluetooth phone feature and a few other enhancements.

I had wanted to buy a Garmin Nuvi 300 series but I didn't need Bluetooth and a much higher price -- and I did not at all like how the power cord stuck out at the side of it. I could have had a new Garmin C300 series for free but I do not like its form factor -- way too bulky.

I don't remember seeing a portable GPS that accepts voice commands -- I may have missed noticing since I was not looking for that feature.

Consider reading the GPS reviews on CNET and other websites. Be aware, however, that problems reported in early reviews may have been resolved by downloadable firmware, OS, and map updates. My Magellan 2200T does not have the problems reported in the early reviews of it on CNET.

I bought the 2200T as a "throw-away" since it was so inexpensive. But I like it so much, I obtained a really neat Pro.Fit Legent swivel bracket and am now waiting on an extra power cord and cradle so I can do a "semi-permanent" installation and direct wire it to the accessory fuse. I will mostly hide the power cord inside my phone console and behind the radio - I have to pop out the radio/AC controls one more time - very easy to do. There will be no dangling power cord and I will still be able to pop the Magellan out of its permanently mounted cradle and take it with me to use in rental cars with its windshield mount.

There are lots of really nice, inexpensive touch screen portable GPS products available right now. You would probably be happy with almost any of them but I would encourage you to buy one that says the street names -- a very important feature.

I wound up doing quite a bit of internet searching as well as Consumer Reports. Then I started with hands-on at Best Buy. Imo, the best interface, for the price is the TomTom 910. I initially was going to buy the TomTom One XL but its data base was too small. I wanted to be able to drive to any city and find a generic store, for instance, Home Depot, without knowings its address. The 910 does all that.

I will say that it is a big, heavy unit. I am now going to look for a plate-type device, with antiskid material on the bottom, that I can mount this sucker to. This plate justs rests on the dash and is held on by friction between the antiskid material and the dash. Garmin makes a nice heavy plate that won't slide but now I want one made by TomTom.

Gary

• 1 month later...

I use a Garmin 376C, because it has XM radio & XM satellite weather and other options. I also use it on three of my motorcycles, 2 road and one off road. It can also be used on a boat...it really is a marine unit. But it has the best options of all of the one's I researched. link https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=325

You have to buy the auto package for it. Its not a cheap unit, but if you want one of the best and you shop well, you can get it fo under $850 and the auto kit for about $250