Tiny, Tiny, Chips In Windshield

acf

I have thousands upon thousands of tiny "specs" in the glass. At first I thought they were dirt but nothing is taking them out and when the sun hits them they sparkle. Is my only hope replacing it? I can live with them but I wish I had noticed them before I bought the car. Would at least have had more bargaining power.

one thing you might be able to do is

clean the glass using a clay bar to remove any dirt

then use a rain x type water repellant

which is basically a hard acrylic that goes over the screen

this will fill the tiny chips

i have tehm also on my car but it doensn't bother me much

also this is only a temp fix as it wear away over time

no thats just a cleaner!rainx is different and you would have to buy it at pep boys walmart etc..

i have the same exact problem with my car!i have hundreds maybe thousands of tiny chips in my windsheild and cant do nothing with it.

i might also try the rainx to see if that helps but as sk said its only a temp fix.they do sell some windsheild fix stuff but didnt try it yet.

The Rain X wont help. Thats just normal pitting of the glass, happens to every car as it ages. It wouldnt have gotten you any more bargaining power because its normal wear and tear. Only way to get rid of it is to replace the glass.

No they're not going to fill in, I've tried for years.

You can "fill in" specs like that on paint because the optical properties of the sealant block the way light bounces off the imperfection. You're not going to be able to get rid of them on glass that you look through.

I've tried everything. Rain X, sealants like Klasse.

it was just a thought

which i am know for oddities to try

only reson that i figured it might work is that there is the acrylic in the bulls eye windsheild chip damage restorer

which fills the hole with acrylic to create a perfect clear finish once dried as the light is no longer being bounced around the edges of the chip anymore as it is now filled

i also noticed when doing this to cars that the areas around the chi also got much smotther as well

which is where my odd idea comes from

maybe it might work with another product but if you did the whole windsheild it might end up getting wavy to say the least

Those only work when no glass is missing from the windshield. If a chunk of glass is gone, then there's not anything you can do except replace the windshileld. The tiny pitting is small peices of glass missing, nothing you can do.

The glass itself from Lexus is about $1000. Your insurance would cover it though. Out the door glass repair with Lexus glass will run you $1150 or so. They can do it with an aftermarket peice of glass for $300-$400 or so, but thats not genuine Lexus glass. I always specify OEM glass so the thickness and the tint match up perfectly. If you want to turn it into insurance they'll pay for it, even the Lexus glass. By law they can't refuse you OEM parts.

sk, I've never seen one that filled in the missing glass before, only filled in the cracks.

i agree with steve get oem glass

or you will also suffer the awful waveness of cheap glass

which has caused some members to feel slightly sick from it

i guess you always learn new things as i have seen it fill in smal holes as well

didn't think it wuold work

but it would be a pain in the !Removed! to do a whole windsheild