Fuel Efficiency Improvements For A '95 Sc300?

Yeah, I know it's not the most fuel efficient vehicle on the road, but I just picked up a '95 SC300 w/auto tranny and was wondering if there was anything I could do to it to boost the efficiency just a little bit. I know that the K&N filter is pretty much a given, but I was also wondering if the !Removed! CAI that is available for the SC300 would make any kind of a difference or if it would make it worse. I know that CAI can either make things better or worse depending on the vehicle.

Yeah, I know it's not the most fuel efficient vehicle on the road, but I just picked up a '95 SC300 w/auto tranny and was wondering if there was anything I could do to it to boost the efficiency just a little bit. I know that the K&N filter is pretty much a given, but I was also wondering if the !Removed! CAI that is available for the SC300 would make any kind of a difference or if it would make it worse. I know that CAI can either make things better or worse depending on the vehicle.

The injen intake is NOT CAI. It is a short ram intake.

Whoops, my bad on that one. Either way though, does it make any kind of a difference?

Yes, Your mpg will actually go down with that intake. Lexus has CAI in all of there cars from the factory. Try new plugs/wires. Make sure your tires are properly inflated, Don't carry any extra weight in the car. Burn premium and clean the throttle body. Start with these suggestions and report back. :cheers:

The car already has new plugs and wires, tires properly inflated and I am burning premium fuel. So I guess cleaning the throttle body is about the only thing left to do besides adding a K&N filter to the thing. Didn't know about Lexus already having the CAI stock on all of their vehicles. Interesting.

The car already has new plugs and wires, tires properly inflated and I am burning premium fuel. So I guess cleaning the throttle body is about the only thing left to do besides adding a K&N filter to the thing. Didn't know about Lexus already having the CAI stock on all of their vehicles. Interesting.

Guaranteed ALL lexus have CAI.

Cool, okay one more lame question then. I know it says premium fuel is required for this vehicle. Initially I tried the middle grade (89 octane) and it seemed to run fine on it. So is it absolutely necessary to run premium (91 octane or higher) and exactly how much is the fuel efficiency effected by it?

Two engine knock sensors will !Removed! engine timing if they sense any" pinging" caused by low octane fuel. Retarded timing equals poorer fuel economy. Don't have exact numbers but saving money at the pump on low octane fuel means lower mpg. Can't find 91 octane in my area but 10 gals 89 octane and 10 gals 93 octane make 20 gals 91 octane called for in the owners manual.

you could do what i did to several other cars, take off the throttle body, clean it, the bore it out and knife edge the throttle plate. this can all be done with a dremmel, takes about an hour or two, but you will notice sharper thorottle response, increased fuel economy, and smoother idling.

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

On take off progressively step on the gas pedal and don't floor it obviously. Besides what others have mentioned also make sure you have a proper alignment and change the fuel filter if it hasn't been changed in a long time.