Top Speed You've Hit With Your Lexus

Meshblorg

I enjoy the LS at speed, but I have installed 1994 16 inch wheels with Michelin Exaltos which certainly makes the handling better. For cruising at 70-80 mph these cars are great - quite a bit smoother than the GS, but I like it's firmer ride too.

So it's all good.

It's definitely the most comfortable car I've ever driven, especially on the highway. I love the driving position, too. (Compare that to the seating position in a Crown Vic--the seats on those are so close to the ground and the dash seems so high you can barely see over it!)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alright all you speedsters!! i know its easy to go fast in these V8 sledsters, but make sure yous guys tires are rated for the speed you are going for, and that you got the brakes to stop it to! dont try and do 140+ on a 110 rated speed tire - im not saying its gonna blow apart or anything, but it can cause stress damage to the tire making them more succeptible to a blow out or cause them to be out of balance and out of round.

also check each tire after you do such speeds to make sure the balance wieghts are still on your rims - they can fly off. if you ever here a loud thump on your fender well (going 90+mph) but knows for a fact you didnt run over anything, you can bet it's a balance wieght from your rim.

for those of you who dont know what a tire speed rating is - (God Help)- its listed on your sidewall of the tire.

I have General Tire Altimax RT's on my LS, and they have a Speed Rating T=118MPH. Standard Touring tires - just for travel and comfort.

on the other hand, if i want to go really fast - i just hop in my 69' Fastback w/400+ ponies....to be completed summer 09'. :P

nuff said...

alright all you speedsters!! i know its easy to go fast in these V8 sledsters, but make sure yous guys tires are rated for the speed you are going for, and that you got the brakes to stop it to! dont try and do 140+ on a 110 rated speed tire - im not saying its gonna blow apart or anything, but it can cause stress damage to the tire making them more succeptible to a blow out or cause them to be out of balance and out of round.

also check each tire after you do such speeds to make sure the balance wieghts are still on your rims - they can fly off. if you ever here a loud thump on your fender well (going 90+mph) but knows for a fact you didnt run over anything, you can bet it's a balance wieght from your rim.

for those of you who dont know what a tire speed rating is - (God Help)- its listed on your sidewall of the tire.

I have General Tire Altimax RT's on my LS, and they have a Speed Rating T=118MPH. Standard Touring tires - just for travel and comfort.

on the other hand, if i want to go really fast - i just hop in my 69' Fastback w/400+ ponies....to be completed summer 09'. :P

nuff said...

See this post:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...st&p=358279

nuff said...

See this post:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...st&p=358279

I agree with SRK on that - but he did state "Briefly". the fact he has a 427 Cobra also tells me he has the experience to know when enough is "nuff"! not to mention good taste in single seated sportsters. ;)

My aunt had a 1990 LS400 that she bought brand new in December of 1989! It was always babied, but sometime in the late 1990 aunt had drove it over to visit and my uncle had went out in it. My grandpa and another uncle had left like 3 minutes before.. they were going down a 4-lane highway and a black car (black streak) went around them... they didnt even know what kind of car it was.... when they finally arrived at my other uncles house (where my uncle was also going) he was already there... they asked if it was him that went by like a bullet and he said yes and they he was only going 132 mph. :rolleyes:

Wikipedia huh?? ;)

Looks like that article needs to be changed.

According to the Lexus specs sheets, '90-'94 models are limited at 150mph, and '97-'00 models are limited to 149mph.

I wonder what the '90-'94 models are really limited at, because I have seen many YouTube videos of LSs driving at an indicated 155mph.

I went 135mph in my 95 ls400. I didnt want to go any faster because the manual says the car shuts off at 140 mph. So I was picturing me going 140mph down the highway and the car shutting off. Thus me losing power steering and power brakes. That would have been bad.

~115mph for me (185km/h) seemed to be about near the top of what my 93 es300 could handle, had 2 seperate es300s up to 185, drives so nicely at those speeds too. highest cornering was 170km/h (~106mph) squeeling the tires the whole way around the corner :)

Low 140's for me on the 73 toll road in Orange County. Felt light at that speed. My old 1998 V12 BMW was governor limited at 127 but at 125 my old BMW felt like I was standing still. The bmw weighs about 4800 lbs so you would expect that I guess.

John