Cost Of Getting Water Pump/timing Belt Done

BjCaleb

Hello everybody,

What is the cost of getting the water pump/timing belt done whether at the Lexus dealership or independent mechanic? I paid about $650 on my 99 GS300 thru my mechanic...I didn't know how much more for the LS400. Thanks..And sorry if this question has been badgered to death.. :chairshot:

if you're not mechanically inclined then I would recommend biting the bullet and getting everything done while you're in there, at the very least make sure the tensioner and idlers are replaced, as well as the tb/wp you've already mentioned. you don't want to pay for it to be dug into twice. it'll cost a little more, but the water pump is the deepest item in the job, and paying labor twice sucks, and you'll know you're good to go for another 100k miles.

For your protection get a labor quote for just replacing the water pump, and then ask afterwards about replacing the idlers/tensioner/belt/caps/rotors/drive belt while they're in there. All of them have to be removed to even get to the water pump, so it shouldn't be any extra labor to replace those parts in addition, it's just putting new parts on instead of reinstalling old. I have no idea what the quote will look like, as I did it myself, but I paid about $1k in parts, including replacing all of the ignition components, all pulleys/tensioners and both belts. It'll be more than the GS was, for sure. IIRC, it's quoted 10-20 hours of labor depending on where you go, plus cost of parts.

if you're not mechanically inclined then I would recommend biting the bullet and getting everything done while you're in there, at the very least make sure the tensioner and idlers are replaced, as well as the tb/wp you've already mentioned. you don't want to pay for it to be dug into twice. it'll cost a little more, but the water pump is the deepest item in the job, and paying labor twice sucks, and you'll know you're good to go for another 100k miles.

For your protection get a labor quote for just replacing the water pump, and then ask afterwards about replacing the idlers/tensioner/belt/caps/rotors/drive belt while they're in there. All of them have to be removed to even get to the water pump, so it shouldn't be any extra labor to replace those parts in addition, it's just putting new parts on instead of reinstalling old. I have no idea what the quote will look like, as I did it myself, but I paid about $1k in parts, including replacing all of the ignition components, all pulleys/tensioners and both belts. It'll be more than the GS was, for sure. IIRC, it's quoted 10-20 hours of labor depending on where you go, plus cost of parts.

chilkoot, Did you also replace the cam and crankshaft seals while in there?

I would also mention that you want the best parts you can get(OEM Toyota) because if you get a hold of cheap stuff, even one part, you will be back in there cussin under your breath(maybe even out loud). Done that before! From what I have been reading, its about a $1k to $1.5k job at the dealer. I too plan on doing it myself. Partly because I am cheap, partly because I dont trust anyone else to do it and mostly because I love working on engines.

nope, they weren't leaking and I forgot to order them, I didn't have time to wait for them to arrive and there are no lexus dealers in my area.

everything i replaced was with OEM Toyota parts, landar is right on that one.

I just got the above done plus plugs and a tranny flush and fill for $1,700. I am not mechanically inclined so if there was any question I changed it. "good for another 100K" were my mechanics words.

I hope he is right! 210K on 1996LS

I got pump pulleys tensioners and idlers from dealership.Plus belt done 1yr and half ago for $1800-1850 forget exact.Plus other little things.Whole system crashed on me.they said it was better to do it all at once too.

• 4 weeks later...

I am new here so please bear with me. I have a '92 LS 400. Water pump appears to be bad. I ordered one and it looks nothing like the one on the car. I searched on line and they show pics of two different pumps. Hate to order another and it not fit either. Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin

My '94 LS repair for the leaking water pump, the timing belt, and all associated tensioners was $1,300 from an indie. The crankshaft bolt was seized, and had to be replaced, too. I used to think I had overpaid, but a year and a half later, the LS runs like a top. With 113,000 miles, and a long way to go, I decided that you get what you pay for. Best of luck.