Ls 400 1991 Muffler Delete!

Jify

Howdy all! I'm a new lexus owner and I thought I'd drop in and share my limited success with my car. I bought it for a damn good price, and all it required was a little TLC:

-Headlights

-Timingbelt

-Hood Supports

-Little paint

-New rear tires

-New Windshield.

And well, I started driving it around and was loving it. But, I have always been a fan of hearing a car. Not hearing it go CRACK CRACK VROOOM CRACK CRACK CRACK, thats just wrong. Anyways, I wanted to hear my car abit, and did a little online research for muffler delete mods. Well, I have yet to see anyone do it with a 91 LS400, seems that the 2nd gen and up have it easy and just have to loosen a clamp. But, we poor suckers with 1st gen have to do a little messy work. My father and I got down under the car and heres what we did, hopefully it helps, or if anyone needs help doing something similar, feel free to email me. I'll add pictures sometime if theres any interest.

We raised up the back end and grinded the back mufflers off (kinda sad to see that beautiful system get chopped).

Got some half decent pipe, about 24 inches long with an exhaust tip welded to the end.

Then we welded that onto the pipe already present(where we just grinded).

Then welded a chain onto the pipe, and put that on one of the nuts used to hold the heat shielding on where the muffler used to be.

Car sounds wicked, Soon as my batteries are charged up i'm going to get some video of the exhaust system.

All in all, it was around $60 for tailpipes and piping. Had everything else around home.

You can check the car out here : http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2640697/1

Pictures are old, from when I first got it, but I'm pretty proud. Thanks for hearing me out, hopefully that helped someone! Looking forward to chatting it up with the lexus community!

Travis

I replaced the catalytic converters and removed the resonators which were positioned in front of the rear axle, now it sounds like a V8 with the window down, but is still whisper quite inside with windows up.

Thought about fitting some small free flowing resonators back where the factory ones were and replacing the rear mufflers with some quality Lukey free-flows with a pair of 2.5" dump tail pipe. I want to keep it quiet but make it sound like its balls have dropped.

Howdy all! I'm a new lexus owner and I thought I'd drop in and share my limited success with my car. I bought it for a damn good price, and all it required was a little TLC:

-Headlights

-Timingbelt

-Hood Supports

-Little paint

-New rear tires

-New Windshield.

And well, I started driving it around and was loving it. But, I have always been a fan of hearing a car. Not hearing it go CRACK CRACK VROOOM CRACK CRACK CRACK, thats just wrong. Anyways, I wanted to hear my car abit, and did a little online research for muffler delete mods. Well, I have yet to see anyone do it with a 91 LS400, seems that the 2nd gen and up have it easy and just have to loosen a clamp. But, we poor suckers with 1st gen have to do a little messy work. My father and I got down under the car and heres what we did, hopefully it helps, or if anyone needs help doing something similar, feel free to email me. I'll add pictures sometime if theres any interest.

We raised up the back end and grinded the back mufflers off (kinda sad to see that beautiful system get chopped).

Got some half decent pipe, about 24 inches long with an exhaust tip welded to the end.

Then we welded that onto the pipe already present(where we just grinded).

Then welded a chain onto the pipe, and put that on one of the nuts used to hold the heat shielding on where the muffler used to be.

Car sounds wicked, Soon as my batteries are charged up i'm going to get some video of the exhaust system.

All in all, it was around $60 for tailpipes and piping. Had everything else around home.

You can check the car out here : http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2640697/1

Pictures are old, from when I first got it, but I'm pretty proud. Thanks for hearing me out, hopefully that helped someone! Looking forward to chatting it up with the lexus community!

Travis

I happen to like my silent LS, but to each his own.

I looked at the pics of your car. VERY NICE! I did however notice your wheels are on wrong. Someone may have rotated them with the old X method. If you look closely you can see a small "R" and "L" on the edge of the rim.

Just a nit-pick. :rolleyes:

Enjoy yor LS

David