Calif. Smog Test

93ls400walt

I am about to smog test my 93ls400 Federal lexus ( non-california ) car in California. Has anyone done this before? Any trouble passing the test? If so, what were the issues?

Thanks

I am about to smog test my 93ls400 Federal lexus ( non-california ) car in California. Has anyone done this before? Any trouble passing the test? If so, what were the issues?

Thanks

Emission is different. I'm not sure what exactly, but when I moved here 10 years ago with Grand Prix they didn't do anything but charged me $300 to pass smog....find out first what needs to be done and do it - its better then failing smog test. All I can tell you, california models have less HP just because of this emission requirenments. :cheers:

you can take it to a test only station to have them just do a test, not the actual one that they send to DMV electronicly. So if it fails it wont be reported and you can get what is needed done to fix it .

No, a Federal certification doesn't make passing smog in Cali any harder. The only difference between a Federal and a California/Federal certified vehicle, is the required emission control components. Federal (only) certified vehicles, get away with slightly higher "maximum allowable" emission readings than a California/Ferderal vehicle would.

Which part of Cali are you moving to?

Well I failed the smog test. Everything passed except the NOX at 25mph RPM at1996. It just barely passed at 15MPH/1525RPM.

The NOX reading for 15mph is 668 with max passing level at 681.

The NOX at 25mph is 1430 with max passing level at 687.

I had it tested at Desert Lexus in Palm Springs. ( yea, I know ) But now I am suppose to take it in monday to the and they will tell me what needs to be done. I can do most repairs to the car. But I have no idea where to start with this.

Any advice?

I just moved to Palm Desert, CA from Lexington, KY.

Other smog info:

15mph/1525rpm:

Co2 14.23

O2 0.08

HC 11

CO 0.01

NOX 668

25MPH/1996RPM:

CO2 14.20

02 0.14

HC 9

CO 0.01

NOX 1430

I'll be looking forward to the advice you get. I am currently in the same situation with a '91 Stealth. Have been told that when NOx is high with good CO's then it is a lean condition. <_<

You can't use NOx as a determining factor for fuel control. If it were a true "lean condition", then the CO level would be at 0.00 and O2 % would of been higher than 0.08.

93ls400walt,

Test the EGR system. Let me know the outcome.

I've had the EGR of a few months ago. It was very clean. I did not test the ohms, ect... as I am not very good with the mulit-meter.

The Ca.gov site gives some info. EGR, retarded timing, engine cylinder temp above 2500 deg. F, CATS to some extent.

www.smogcheck.ca.gov

I am not going to the dealer tomorrow. I have an issue with the ECM as Scotty2hottie had. That was fixed with his unit being rebuilt. I have a constant code 41 for the TPS which has been replaced and adjusted . The repair manual states the the ECM will go into a failsafe mode so the car will run. One of the issues is that the timing will be fixed at a lower BTDC. I wll send my ECM off first and see if that fixes this. And look at the EGR. Before I send it off to the dealer/Indy shop.

Thanks for your help.

Well I hated to hear that. I was banking on the ECM fixing the problem. It will be a week or two before I get the ECM out shipped, fixed and back in. But I will keep watching this thread and post the results of what 9 ( I hope ) fixes this.