Brake Dust

Picked up my IS two rainy days ago. The weather cleared up a bit today so I decided to wash it. I was amazed to see the amount of brake dust on the rims already. The odometer shows only 70 miles. I've heard that excessive brake dust is a problem on the IS, but should it be this bad after so few miles? Will it get better as I put more miles on the vehicle, or will I just have to live with it, or learn to clean my wheels very frequently?

there is a TSB for this. The dealer will change the pads to "low brake dust" pads. if it gets to be a real problem, have them do it.

also do a quick search on this forum somebody previously mentioned this

Do you have a link to the TSB? I did a quick search and found lots of people complaining. I guess two days is not uncommon to notice brake dust buildup. Tried to search "brake dust" + TSB, but the search engine won't allow searches of less than 4 letters. I'll try to check the posts more throughly when I get back from work this evening.

Dude mine suffers from brake dust really bad, its sooo annoying! I cant stand having a dirty car so i wash mine every saturday but by saturday the front rims are covered.

Had the same problem with my Volvo 850 Sedan - washed it every Saturday - will do the same with the IS. I had seen a posting about Ceramic Break Pads somewhere along on the line on this forum and someone said that the dealer would replace free of charge if you complained enough (that posting was for the IS350) - but then another stated that the dealer said that the owner would have to provide. I haven't found the posting with the TSB. Moderator?

The TSB only applies to the IS 350, not the IS 250. Are the brake pads different for each vehicle?

This one refers to the IS350 and the GS. I don't know if there's one for the IS250.

As I've posted before...a very weak point for the IS 250 AWD. But you see it on many cars out there. There are many aftermarket pads that perform well and do not have the dusting problem. I really don't understand why they even put these crappy pads on nice cars, or any car for that matter...unless it has steel wheels and hub caps. It is totally ridiculous.

The TSB only applies to the IS 350, not the IS 250. Are the brake pads different for each vehicle?

This one refers to the IS350 and the GS. I don't know if there's one for the IS250.

The latest revision includes the IS250 on the TSIB updated April 27th 2007 TSIB.pdf

The latest revision includes the IS250 on the TSIB updated April 27th 2007 TSIB.pdf

Thanks. Now the 250 people have an option.

So I'll print this out and bring it to the dealer myself. As I mentioned before, my wife asked about it when she brought the car in for it's first oil change and they told her there was nothing they could do for her.

Meanwhile, we clean, and clean, and clean some more....

• 4 weeks later...

BartKat:

Thank you so much for taking the time to include a pdf of Technical Service Infomation Bulletin BR002-06 re: Excessive Brake Powder. Thank you as I couldn't open the links from the other folks.

I saw this guy at a sandwich shop in LA who had the same IS 350 as I did and I just happened to tell him that I was so sick of the brake powder on my chromed wheels and having to get my car washed every week because of it when I really could go every other week if it wasn't for this and he told me that if you asked Lexus they would switch out these high friction with a low friction kind but that you had to ask. Well I asked on my 5,000 maintenance that I just did (I've had my 2007 IS350 6 months) and had your TSIB as back up, so I was prepared. Thank you!!!

My question is this -- to all you car aficionados. Are these new brakes just as reliable? No one at the Lexus service seemed to know and I couldn't find data on the web regarding it. I do mostly city driving; nothing crazy.

Thanks,

Maggie May

I know a guy who does autocross almost every weekend in his IS350. He had the brake pad change at Lexus. He says there's not much difference in normal driving. He's still beating BMW's in the weekend competitions so I figure the pads are OK. Not only will the dust less, but they'll probably last longer.