How True Is This Statement?

jetman

I've owned a 2005 RX330 for a little over two years now. Without a doubt, it's the finest vehicle I've ever owned and 30,000 miles later, it runs and rides as well as the day it left the showroom.

However...

My best friend told me recently "You have a great car, but the only people you see driving them are old people and women." Now, I'm a single middle-aged (40+) male and I don't consider myself old yet, so I felt that what he said was somewhat insulting. That is, until I looked around and determined that what he told me seems to be, for the most part, true. The vast majority of the RXs I see are driven by older people or (even more so) by women. Now, when I look at my RX, I think that I would describe the styling as being rather "feminine", albeit very attractive nonetheless.

Even here on the forum, I see a number of posts referring to the RX as "my wife's car". Fellow forum members, what do you think? Who do you think the RX is primarily designed for? What is the target demographic? Did my friend speak the truth?

For what it's worth, after what my friend said I went out and traded my RX for an 07 IS 250 (it's coming in next week). A much more "masculine" car (IMHO) without sacrificing the Lexus quality and luxury I've grown accustomed to. Still, I'm going to miss my RX...must be my feminine side talking :)

yeah...i bought it for my wife, haha

i think its a soccer mom, drive the family around, family car. I dont think it pertains to older people, but because young people usually cant "afford" a 50K vehicle, nor think that its a sporty enough car. I think the age range should be around 30-45ish. Im 28, but my wife likes it, and i like it too actually. SO i dont care who the car is meant for, as long as it fits my life.

It's my wife's car, but I appreciate it for what it is: a safe, reliable (change the transmission fluid), comfortable and functional vehicle.

I don't mind driving it or working on it, but I'm not particularly attached to it either. Of course most days I walk past a nicely modified late model Passat just to drive my old '73 Thing, so I'm not exactly the poster boy for normal when it comes to cars.

Well this topic has come up before and I can see some of the "usual suspects" have already chimed in so I'll (in my own usual suspect way) add the contrarian view. The RX is an SUV and MOST SUVs are driven by women and marketed at a "Family" audience. So that means a Suburban is a "chick" car too. Personally, I'm more than comfortable enough with my man-hood to drive an RX 300 because at 41 I'm only concerned with comfort and quietness in my everyday ride. (I'm lucky enough to have a 68 RS/SS in the garage if I feel I need a little more excitement).

I'd say this is primarly a geographic thing , in more urban areas I see many more men driving RX's, its almost 50/50 here where I live, but if head out into suburbia and beyond you see more women than men driving RX's (and more men in jacked up pick-ups too). The one thing that IS pretty much correct is the age of RX 330/350 drivers, they are generally "over 40" and as Rx330driver mentioned a lot of it has to do with what you can afford at an earlier age. Funny thing is I see even more "oldsters" and "chicks" driving ES 300/330's so I guess thats a "chick" car too

I've noticed quite a number of younger men driving RX 300's all over Southern Cal. lately, probably because the 300's are now readily available used at fairly reasonable prices. This may not be the case in North Carolina or Ohio, for whatever reason.

Funny thing is I see even more "oldsters" and "chicks" driving ES 300/330's so I guess thats a "chick" car too.

Bottom line is , do you drive a car for what you want out of the drive, or do you drive a car to itry and impress other people.

PS older folks and women are generally a lot less concerned about how cool they look in their ride, maybe that explains it.

No it's a chick car, my wife drives ours.

First, as someone has said is alot of dough for a vehicle. It takes a well heeled wallet or someone older, because it usually a second or third vehicle. Also, it's not a true SUV (no frame) so don't compare it to a Subarban or Tahoe which I drive. Its a Camry or a so-called cross-over vehicle. It's under-powered, soft women ride, leather, etc, etc.

I would never tow with this so.....women and old people love it. Look at the LS430........no young dude is driving them only older people. Now Lexus is smart they are trying to get the younger buyer with the IS and the LX, and GX these are for younger buyers.......

It's not a true SUV (no frame) so don't compare it to a Subarban or Tahoe which I drive. Its a Camry or a so-called cross-over vehicle.

Wow, must have hit a nerve there. Being an SUV is in no way predicated on frame or body style and as I mentioned, at least around here there are WAY more "chicks" carting the kiddies and groceries around in Tahoes and Suburbans. Frankly the RX can barely haul 2 kids with all their soccer sheit so its next to useless as a family hauler. Besides have you ever seen what kids do the the backseat of a car, sheesh!

It's under-powered, soft women ride, leather, etc, etc.

Yep, you're right no man would ever want a smooth quiet ride, and that leather, awful, give me burlap anyday etc. etc.. :D

Quote from recent news article:

"Jan Thompson, vice president of marketing at Nissan North America, talked up women car buyers as Nissan's luxury brand, Infiniti, unveiled at the New York show a concept version of its upcoming EX crossover SUV.

In fact, Thompson hopes the EX, which will slot below the slightly larger Infiniti FX SUV when it arrives in U.S. showrooms by the end of this year, will garner the kind of attention from women that the Lexus RX has.

With a starting price, including destination charge, of $38,115 for a 2007 model, the RX crossover SUV has long been the No. 1-selling Lexus -- car or SUV -- and women have been more than half the buyers."

It would really be interesting if you could tell how many of the male buyers actually purchased for their wife. Female ownership maybe more like 90%.

I don't know, the RX (first years) looks awfully close to the Murano... so is that a chick car? I bought one because it fits my life. I'm early 30's, 6'2" (my head touches in many 'cars'), and married with a little dog... the RX fits my life great. I needed something I could fit in, is a good grocery-getter, that could pull the utility trailer for landscaping and repairs on the house, that road nice and smooth for the long commute i have (and for road trips around the beautiful Pacific Northwest here), gets decent gas mileage, doesn't drive like a truck through the I-205 construction (and other roads that desperately need construction), has four doors to load in family and friends, and has enough head room in the rear where my other friends (most 6 foot +) can fit without being stooped. It fit all those, plus getting it in black with chrome wheels makes it look decent. Each time I look at it I think, "Ah, it's nice looking... kind of looks like a less-strange Subaru Tribeca... or a version of a Murano, but it looks classy with 18" chrome wheels and in all black... doesn't look like a chick car when set up that way... I like it... I think I'll keep it."

With a starting price, including destination charge, of $38,115 for a 2007 model, the RX crossover SUV has long been the No. 1-selling Lexus -- car or SUV -- and women have been more than half the buyers."

Alright, I give! I can see I'm not going to get anywhere with this one.

Here are some more fun (maybe)facts:

Despite an overall decline in pickup truck market share, two of the top five most popular new vehicles among American women in 2001 were pickup trucks

(RL Polk, 2002)

Most popular SUV's among women: Ford Explorer followed closely by Jeep Grand Cherokee

According to Ford Motor Co., women have influential buying power. Females influence 80% of ALL purchases and have 95% veto power regarding automotive purchases. ( maybe I can blame it on the wife :lol: )

(Automotive Service Council)

Alright, I give! I can see I'm not going to get anywhere with this one.

Here are some more fun (maybe)facts:

Despite an overall decline in pickup truck market share, two of the top five most popular new vehicles among American women in 2001 were pickup trucks

(RL Polk, 2002)

Most popular SUV's among women: Ford Explorer followed closely by Jeep Grand Cherokee

According to Ford Motor Co., women have influential buying power. Females influence 80% of ALL purchases and have 95% veto power regarding automotive purchases. ( maybe I can blame it on the wife :lol: )

(Automotive Service Council)

You do realize this info is from 2001.

I highly doubt the stats have changed since 2001... if anything, women have a higher percent of influence in the market now, probably because there isn't really much of a 'guys' car left, other than the newer Mustangs. Heck, I just saw a wicked-cool looking newer 300Z over lunch and it was piloted by a middle-aged woman yackin' on her cell phone. Who would have thunk it, with staggard wheels, custom exhaust, and more. Even women like the bad-a$$ cars. Heck, women rule the roost, especially if you are married to one :P

I highly doubt the stats have changed since 2001... if anything, women have a higher percent of influence in the market now, probably because there isn't really much of a 'guys' car left, other than the newer Mustangs. Heck, I just saw a wicked-cool looking newer 300Z over lunch and it was piloted by a middle-aged woman yackin' on her cell phone. Who would have thunk it, with staggard wheels, custom exhaust, and more. Even women like the bad-a$$ cars. Heck, women rule the roost, especially if you are married to one :P

Yes, I can't agree with you more about women now having a much larger part of the market. It's just no longer in a Ford Explorer.

OK, I guess the consensus is that the RX is a vehicle designed mainly for a woman. Still, there's no denying that there is a high level of refinement and luxury which makes the RX a very pleasant and practical car to drive. Like I said in my initial post, by far the best car I've ever owned. What's missing is the FUN factor. When I test drove the IS my first thought was, "Wow! This car is really enjoyable to drive." It wasn't a difficult choice to trade away the RX for the IS. I will miss the extra room in the RX, but I think I'll be happier with the IS. And when you're spending 40K+ for a vehicle, you ought to be as happy as possible...

OK, I guess the consensus is that the RX is a vehicle designed mainly for a woman. Still, there's no denying that there is a high level of refinement and luxury which makes the RX a very pleasant and practical car to drive. Like I said in my initial post, by far the best car I've ever owned. What's missing is the FUN factor. When I test drove the IS my first thought was, "Wow! This car is really enjoyable to drive." It wasn't a difficult choice to trade away the RX for the IS. I will miss the extra room in the RX, but I think I'll be happier with the IS. And when you're spending 40K+ for a vehicle, you ought to be as happy as possible...

Great choice ( I really like the new IS) It also happens to be the number 10 most popular luxury car with Women. Enjoy :D

http://www.forbesautos.com/slideshows/advi...?thisSpeed=6000

After reading this post, I've kind of kept an eye out for who's driving RX's in my area... and that evolved into kind of taking a demographic of who drives what. It was a bit of an eye opener. From what I've seen, women are the primary drivers of everything but Camaros, Mustangs, Miatas (yeah, go figure with the Miata, but every one I saw was piloted by a dude), and big plain trucks with canopies. I saw a Plymouth Prowler and thought, "Man, that is totally a guy's car," and when I got up to it, 'nope', it's a woman in her 50's driving it... and looking the part in cool shades. Then I saw a lifted F-150 with chromed dubs - definitely a guy's car, right? Nope, this time a bubble-headed bleached blonde, and she had a sticker in her window that said something about 'chicks with trucks', so I'm guessin' it was hers. Then I saw a black Chevy SSR... now THAT's a guy's car, right? Nope, a female driver.

So this went on through my commute home, over the weekend, and on my way in to work this morning... women driving everything. LOTS of women piloting Tahoes, Suburbans, and Navigators. Although, anything that was 'riced' out looking with a giant wing was driven by a dude in every case... not the swiftest looking of dudes, but a dude none the less.

On the same note, I saw 5 RX300's on my commute. 4 out of the 5 were driven by men. Over the weekend we did a day-trip to Silver Falls State Park (which is an amazing place) for Mother's Day, and I saw many newer RX's on the way... most were older female drivers. Male or female drivers, I just can't see either fitting all the stuff (bbq, cooler of food, soccer ball, jackets, dog, blankets, drinks, camping chairs, etc.) we took into the trunk of a sedan.

All in all, either we have way more women drivers per capita than most here in PDX, or women drive nearly any and every kind of car. After seeing all the women drivers these past couple days, I can see why automakers focus on them for the market. Nearly all vehicles are 'civil' nowadays, which is something understand female drivers look for, so it can be said nearly all cars are designed 'for women'. For me, how the vehicle is set up determines whether or not it's a "chick" car, though. check out this RX... I would say this one has a 'masculine' style to it... I can't say so much for some of the others, especially the early ones in the 'rose' color.

post-34901-1179168789_thumb.jpg

post-34901-1179168799_thumb.jpg

Great point, I think whats changed is the entire concept of cars for men and cars for women. (of course its a pretty old and in-grained concept so it hangs on in the nooks and crannies). Funny thing, years ago I thought the same thing about Miatas, and I do see a lot of women driving them (my wife has one) but as we lined up for a weekend Miata run with her Miata club, 11 or the 13 other drivers were men. Go figure.

The Miatas I saw with guys driving were all early model years. It may be that the older ones are more 'bare bones' and more of a roadster, and they lack some of the creature comforts that women look for, so that's why I saw men driving them (LOL, and as I write that I'm thinking, "that's not what I'd be looking for as a guy... give me my ceature comforts ;-). I don't know, but I bet if I kept an eye out I'd probably see a nice mix of male and female drivers in them.

First of all, what on the earth would posess you to go to the extreme expense of trading in a late model car you enjoy on a new car simply because of some comment a friend made to you about it being a "chick car"? I mean, if you really wanted the IS thats one thing but if you cost yourself THOUSANDS of dollars and traded a vehicle you enjoyed simply because someone made a comment about it, wow you've got to sort out your priorities.

That said, I would say that the traditional RX driver is a woman. This is however probably true of ALL SUVs, including the GX and LX that are on truck frames. Its just more common that the wife drives the bigger more family oriented vehicle. This is not always the case, but it is a lot of the time. I'd be surprised to see ANY SUV Have higher than a 50/50 proportion of men vs. women drivers.

The long and the short of it is who cares, if you enjoy the car enjoy the car.

Look at the LS430........no young dude is driving them only older people. Now Lexus is smart they are trying to get the younger buyer with the IS and the LX, and GX these are for younger buyers.......

I'm 26 and am planning on buying a new LS in september. I purchased my ES when I was only 22. So, while you're right on average the driver of the LS is older, thats not always the case. The average for the LS buyer is getting younger and younger with each redesign.

For the record the average LX buyer is older and has more income than the average LS buyer.

o god, cars look so much better with the roof racks. that is all on that subject.

i kinda like the RX the way it is. Sure more women drive it, but i dont think its because of hte way it looks. It looks great, drives, great. Just put some beer in the cup holder and get to work! dont forget to put your weights in the trunk. and spit as you move towards and away from the vehicle. disable the airbags as men dont need them either. you get my point

First of all, what on the earth would posess you to go to the extreme expense of trading in a late model car you enjoy on a new car simply because of some comment a friend made to you about it being a "chick car"? I mean, if you really wanted the IS thats one thing but if you cost yourself THOUSANDS of dollars and traded a vehicle you enjoyed simply because someone made a comment about it, wow you've got to sort out your priorities.

It wasn't only my friend's comment. As much as I liked my RX, it just never "felt" right - I can't describe it any other way. Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed the quiet, smooth ride and the luxury features not found on my old Ford Explorer. It truly was the finest vehicle I've ever owned. But for some strange reason, I was never completely comfortable with it, right from the start. I wasn't quite sure why, but I knew the car just wasn't "me". After my friend made his remark, I took my RX into the dealer for service, and while I was waiting I spotted the IS and decided to give it a test drive. Right away, I knew that this was a car that was more to my liking than my RX. The rest is history. Maybe sometimes I'll regret trading away the RX (like when I need extra cargo or passenger space), but for the most part I know I'll enjoy the IS a lot more. Sure, I took a financial bath trading away a vehicle so soon, but my happiness has got to be worth something too, right. I could have a heart attack and die tomorrow - what good would those extra few thousands do me then? My second-highest priority (after taking care of my loved ones) is taking care of myself, and I see nothing wrong with that. The other members of this forum are probably in the same boat. How many of us here NEEDED a Lexus? There's a lot of well-made vehicles out there at half the cost, but we chose Lexus. Just looking out for number one, and that's fine by me.