How To Save Gas With A New Rad Cap And Ps Fluid

SKperformance

WWest ,SRK any other thoughts or reasonings?

Here is a pic of new and old tranny fluid from a 96 LS , if you guys could please explain the colour and debris in it also?

thanks

Fluids.jpg

The color of the darker fluid on the right appears to be much worse than what I drained from my 2001 AWD RX300's transaxle at 40,000 miles. But in the RX case the dark color was not due to contamination, certainly not in suspension, as it was due to the ATF being overheated/burned. When I last checked my 92 LS's ATF at 145k miles it looked very much like the fluid on the left.

Looks as if your 96 might need a PS fluid cooling radiator. Now I'll have to check the color of the PS fluid in my 92. But since I rebuilt the PS pump I don't remember if I drianed and flushed the PS fluid then, but probably not.

My 98 's fluid looked just as black when i took it out if not worse. I swore someone had previously added normal PS fluid until everyone else had black fluid after a few years. The interior of the PS reservoir has now gotten even cleaner and shiner as the days have gone by . I will flush it again in another week or 2 to get the rest of old debris and dirt that is now suspended by the new fluid.

One really odd thing i would add is 2 weeks before i flushed the ps lines i added a few ounces of fresh amsoil tranny fluid. Immediately after i added the clean fluid it really started to groan the next morning when cold. So i will again have to say fluid makes a big difference in noise . Besides viscosity of old oil alone should be able to stand on its own as credible enough reason to change the fluid. The PS pump has higher pressure than a tranny and engine but it not subjected to the contaminants. Also just by natural breakdown through heat cycling the antifoaming agents and other properties have to give away eventually.

I like a nice debate , everyone has a different way of seeing things and by far i am never right and am welcome to being wrong so next time i will be right.

So far i still believe in changing the fluids and the drastic effects it has.

Not a all sure about this but do PS systems still use ATF..?

I know that when my 92 LS was leaking I bought "specialty" PS fluid.

I thought that modern ATF formulations had evolved to the point wherein it wasn't really compatible with PS use. And if so CERTAINLY not compatible as a "mix".

Well i just got an update from an auto engineer and the main reason for the darkening of the fluid is natural degradation of the rubber lines which leave debris and coat the internals. Also if the seals are worn they will allow contaminants inside the system causing the fluid to change viscosity and need to be changed over time.

This also makes sense as to why my system is still getting dirtier looking even with brand new fluid as it is flushing out the debris and causing it to be suspended. Can't wait to have it flushed on the 18th.,