Need Help With Cooling System!

Im not sure which category this goes in so i figured I would post it where i post the most. Mod please put this in the right section.

Im working on my bosses 93 Camry and he has a cooling system problem. He has a hole in the radiator and leaked coolant all over so he filled it up and drove it to and from work for some time. Well I looked at it yesterday and his cooling fans don’t go on either and his temp gauge doesn’t work. There is a cooling fan switch on the bottom of the radiator and if I disconnect that plug both fans go on. I'm thinking since the temp gauge isn’t working and the computer isn’t receiving a temp signal it isn’t turning the fans on. OR His fan switch is busted. Since the fans do go on when the fan switch is disconnected does that mean the switch is working? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

John

Im not sure which category this goes in so i figured I would post it where i post the most. Mod please put this in the right section.

Im working on my bosses 93 Camry and he has a cooling system problem. He has a hole in the radiator and leaked coolant all over so he filled it up and drove it to and from work for some time. Well I looked at it yesterday and his cooling fans don’t go on either and his temp gauge doesn’t work. There is a cooling fan switch on the bottom of the radiator and if I disconnect that plug both fans go on. I'm thinking since the temp gauge isn’t working and the computer isn’t receiving a temp signal it isn’t turning the fans on. OR His fan switch is busted. Since the fans do go on when the fan switch is disconnected does that mean the switch is working? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

John

since the guage isn't working, the coolant temp sensure is the most likely culprit. it is fairly inexpensive and easy to replace. this will fix the guage problem and the fan problem. as for the radiator just replace it.

I put the new radiator in today with a few new sensors since this cooling system was very worn and not working properly. So much scale and rust. Well the gauge is fixed it needed a new coolant temp sensor. So I added the other temp sensor near the thermostat as well. There is also another sensor with 2 vacuum lines anyone know what this is? I also replaced the fan switch since the fans wont go on.

My problem is the coolant fans still DO NOT work. I even turned the a/c on and no luck. The only way they work is if I disconnect the fan switch. I really don’t know what else to test or do with this car. Are there any Toyota techs on the board or any techs at all that could help me with this problem. The thermostat is working properly and I drove the car around a few blocks and the gauge goes to about 1/2 and didn’t go any higher. But I didn’t want to take it out any longer since the fans didn’t go on.

I checked the relays and fuses quickly and they seemed good but ill double check tomorrow. My main question is why would they go on when disconnecting that switch but at no other time??? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks