Compariing Lexus Models To Toyota Models

They really don't. The ES and RX ride on the Camry platform, as does the Sienna minivan, the Highlander, the Solara, and the Avalon. That said, the ES and RX are quite different from the Camry and the Highlander and, at least for the ES, only about 20% of the vehicle is shared with the Camry.

The Avalon and the LS are totally different, the Avalon is front drive and the LS is rear drive, completely different platforms.

In the SUVs the GX is a foreign Toyota model called the Land Cruiser Prado and shares some cassis underpinnings with the 4 Runner, and the LX is really the only Lexus thats a rebadged Toyota, its the Toyota LandCruiser.

and the LX is really the only Lexus thats a rebadged Toyota, its the Toyota LandCruiser.

lol!

if your not talking about the technical stuff, like whats under the car and just class, then...

ES v. Camry

RX v. Highlander

LS v. Avalon

LX v. Landcruiser

GX v. 4 runner(not sure)

SC v. Solara

and the LX is really the only Lexus thats a rebadged Toyota, its the Toyota LandCruiser.

lol!

if your not talking about the technical stuff, like whats under the car and just class, then...

ES v. Camry

RX v. Highlander

LS v. Avalon

LX v. Landcruiser

GX v. 4 runner(not sure)

SC v. Solara

But thats ONLY very roughly dependent on size, those cars are not rebadged as Lexus models.

I would actually go for the Avalon over the Camry if I couldn't get the ES. The Avalon is almost the same in terms of luxury. Then again, it's only 2-3 grand of a difference.. So I would probably just cave in and get the ES :P

The Avalon is also larger than the ES and the Camry. I personally prefer the ES to the Avalon because Lexus' fit and finish is that much better, real wood, better plastics, carpeting, and leather etc. I do however have a coworker who traded her Avalon for an ES330 and she preferred the Avalon so its all a matter of personal taste.

The Avalon is also larger than the ES and the Camry. I personally prefer the ES to the Avalon because Lexus' fit and finish is that much better, real wood, better plastics, carpeting, and leather etc. I do however have a coworker who traded her Avalon for an ES330 and she preferred the Avalon so its all a matter of personal taste.

Plus when it comes to NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) there's just no contest. The Lexus wins hands down. Take one for a drive and you won't believe how quiet these cars are compared to the (roughly) equivalent Toyota. There's just a lot more soundproofing for a start.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I test drove a 2003 ES300, 2005 Camry 4-cylinder, and an 2003 Avalon. I was surprised how nice the Avalon was and also surprised at the difference between the ES300 and the Camry. The ES300 and Camry were roughly the same size. The Avalon felt much bigger and drove a little like a squishy whale. The ES300 and Avalon had a softer ride and were significantly quieter than the Camry. We thought that the E300 drove a little nicer than the Avalon, and that they were both noticeably nicer than the Camry. The Avalon is a very nice car if you need the room. I was originally looking for a Camry XLE (top of the line with nice features), but there were very few of these models for sale used, especially with the V6. We ended up getting a 2002 ES300 and we've been very happy with it.

The Avalon has always been a Camry, who's chassie has been stretched by 2 inches.

It's still a Camry. It was also the largest Japanese sedan for a long, long time. The trim level itself sits in-between the Camry XLE, and the ES/Windom.

My Dad bought his 330 new in 2005. I too said it was a 10K more expensive Camry. I've driven the car now for 3 months since his untimely death. It is NO Camry! The quality, fit and finish is unbelievable. The car is very ecnomical and I'd buy it myself in a heartbeat. I don't know about the ES350, but I'm confident it too is a great car.

The Avalon may have some common parts and a trim that is similar to the Camry, but it's a much different car to drive. It's quieter and smoother, more like the ES300 than like the Camry. The Avalon's suspension is much more mushy than the ES300's. Ask someone who has driven both. The backseat area is noticeably larger than both the Camry and ES300. I'd rather take a long ride in the backseat of an Avalon than an ES300.

The Avalon has always been a Camry, who's chassie has been stretched by 2 inches.

It's still a Camry. It was also the largest Japanese sedan for a long, long time. The trim level itself sits in-between the Camry XLE, and the ES/Windom.

exactly! hows things been, havent talked to you for a long time=yototech forums(me you and daveRS(i think) had some discussions on the 3vzfe and the 3sgte in a 2nd gen runner. hows the v6 mr2 running?) (i hope i dont have you confused with someone else)

anyways i had to respond to this thread, i know im new HERE, but ive been a troll for years now on most toyota forums, and i follow automotive engineering and manufacturing processes quite closely(yes im a nerd). anyways, i can assure the people who are wondering the following things=

1. the CAMRY PLATFORM is used in solara,es300,avalon,highlander,rx300--yes from a mechanical chassis standpoint these are all the same cars!!!!!the PLATFORM as used in automotive manufacturing terms is usually: the lower base pan structure, the location of the A piller, usually but not always the entire front unibody structure ahead of the firewall. the way the engines mounts are identical, the placement of components in the engine compartement is identical. really, platforms are a set of standards, kinda like a form factor for computers(atx,micro-atx) that the engineers follow when designing the car, to keep the maximum amount of parts interchangable between vehicles. im willing to bet money that the suspension systems of all these cars are pretty much the same parts, im willing to bet that if the front and rear subframes are not identical(probably) then the way they mount to the unibody structure is. ive learned this hands on with toyotas front engine-rear drive platform=the supra. basically(and this one i have hands on experience) the supra is=the ls400, the gs300 the sc300/400. the suspension system on the sc and supra are identical, the ls and gs dont use the exact same parts, but there mounting is identical, so yes, you can directly bolt a supra tt suspension to any 1990s era rear drive lexus! same with nissan=350z,g35coupe,g35 sedan,fx35 and fx45, and new m45 are all essentially the same car, the FM Platform. maxima,atlima,murano=FF Platform. older nissans=the 5th gen maxima and infinity I35 are the same car, different rear quarter panel sheet metal, but the same underneath(the i35 front end will swap over to a02-03 maxima) same with tacoma and 4runner. 3rd gen runners(96-02) and tacomas are the same vehicle, id again be willing to bet(but i have not tried) that the newer looking 01 tacoma front end would swap directly over to a 96-up 4runner. anyways, im about to pick up a first gen solara, and we might see a 2door es300 (2nd gen) soon :)

so enough rambling, not how my first post wanted to go, but i had to jump in :) so hello everyone, been watching the forums for awhile now, thought id join up and say hi------the default new forum thread i post :)