New Toyo Tires

Well, I got them and they are terrific. The ride back home was smooth and quiet. The problem has been that Lexus hasn't done an all four wheel alignment and I am making them do that and they are not charging me. It's THEIR fault that my Good Years only got 13K. I got the TOYO Proxes S/T(255 55, 18") tires for $135+tax each and I didn't have to pay for anything except the tires...I urge everyone to MAKE Lexus do an all four wheel alignment....Rey in L.A....the "squeeky wheel".

post-26996-1175810425_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1175810902_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1175810964_thumb.jpg

Well, I got them and they are terrific. The ride back home was smooth and quiet. The problem has been that Lexus hasn't done an all four wheel alignment and I am making them do that and they are not charging me. It's THEIR fault that my Good Years only got 13K. I got the TOYO Proxes S/T(255 55, 18") tires for $135+tax each and I didn't have to pay for anything except the tires...I urge everyone to MAKE Lexus do an all four wheel alignment....Rey in L.A....the "squeeky wheel".

Those are sweet looking. I got the 255/50/18 but I like yours better since it fills in the wells nicer. :cheers:

What air pressure you going to run them at. I settled at 38lbs but if I had smother roads I would go 40lbs.

Do you really think that they are that much bigger than yours? They are 255/55/18 ...anyway, thanks and yes, I am extremely happy with them...it's just my first day....but I know certain curves that I monitored knowing that I was going to compare...so when I still had the bad Good Years I paid attention to a curve on the freeway here in L.A when the 5 freeway splits,north/south...it's tight and at 60mph the car didn't feel good with the GYs...now at the same speed with the Toyos...it's like a different car! It's so smooth now too. I don't have any of the rattles that people complain about,I fixed the ones that I had by deduction...so the car is marvelous and luxury to the hilt. I have 36PSI and I am curious to see how yours do at a higher PSI. They feel great at 36 so I am not going to mess with perfection. Thanks so much for turning me on to these great tires. Note also that without the roof rack, the new tires, chrome nerf bars...the car looks really great and I do think it looks very different than the other RXs that I see...and I do like that. Warmly, Rey Bustos

Hey Rey, nice writeup.

Looks really nice. I had planned to do the same, take outdoor pics and post the results of my 255/55-18 but haven't gotten around to it.

I'm running 40psi and might try and take out 2 psi all around. I had taken off the GoodYear OEM's and been through the winter with the Blizzaks at 40psi. So far, the difference has been night and day. I may go after a little more plushness and better ride over the extremely poor roads that we have and try out the tires at 38psi.

I'm glad to see you posted pics...

Cheers,

MadloR

Do you really think that they are that much bigger than yours? They are 255/55/18 ...anyway, thanks and yes, I am extremely happy with them...it's just my first day....but I know certain curves that I monitored knowing that I was going to compare...so when I still had the bad Good Years I paid attention to a curve on the freeway here in L.A when the 5 freeway splits,north/south...it's tight and at 60mph the car didn't feel good with the GYs...now at the same speed with the Toyos...it's like a different car! It's so smooth now too. I don't have any of the rattles that people complain about,I fixed the ones that I had by deduction...so the car is marvelous and luxury to the hilt. I have 36PSI and I am curious to see how yours do at a higher PSI. They feel great at 36 so I am not going to mess with perfection. Thanks so much for turning me on to these great tires. Note also that without the roof rack, the new tires, chrome nerf bars...the car looks really great and I do think it looks very different than the other RXs that I see...and I do like that. Warmly, Rey Bustos

I think 36-38lbs is perfect for that tire unless your are going to do a CA coast run at high speed then I would go to 44lbs B)

Your tires are only 0.4 inches taller than mine so they fill in the wheel well a bit more and probable ride a bit nicer. You can check the size differences at the web site below so you can calculate your mpg based on the difference in size.

tire calculator

You are so right, I now notice that the new Toyos do fill the space more and noticeably! Look at these two pictures, before and after:left; Good Year......Right; TOYO, I really like the way that the new tires look and they do change the look of the car considering it was such a small size difference. Rey

post-26996-1175892921_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1175892952_thumb.jpg

You are so right, I now notice that the new Toyos do fill the space more and noticeably! Look at these two pictures, before and after:left; Good Year......Right; TOYO, I really like the way that the new tires look and they do change the look of the car considering it was such a small size difference. Rey

That is different. I guess when you add the thread wear differnence and the size difference together; Going from worn out Goodyears to New Toyo's is like getting 1" taller tires. It does look better.

Not sure about the MPG argument tho. No one is trying to say that larger tires mean you will get better MPG, are they?

No I didn't think of any MPG stuff when I chose the TOYOs...life's too short and prices are so rediculous that it's almost moot now to think about the gas prices, it's so frustrating so I just stopped worrying...I get 10MPGs more than when I had my PT Cruiser and with a car that's ten times better, bigger and with 120 more HP!...anyway I didn't realize that the tires would be bigger and I don't think about MPGs as much as most folk. I drive about 800-900miles a month which isn't much but I will as usual keep track of my mileage as I have for years with any car that I've had, so I will know to within one MPG if I am losing, gaining or staying the same and I will post for all of you. It's the same for when I took off the roof rack, I didn't like it and I didn't take it off for any other reason except that I hated it, but while I was at it and since I was asked, I let everyone know that it DIDN'T make an MPG difference. The only time that I saw a small difference in MPGs, and that is still debatable, was when I went from 32psi to 36 with the Good Years. Anyway, yes, the Good Years did wear down too fast but I just think that the TOYO tires are way bigger even though I kept the same sidewall number....55, so I don't know why they are so much bigger...do you? Anyway, the one thing that I know is that my car rides great now, better than ever, and it looks very different to me. The car went from timid looking and sweet to an amazonian, if that makes sense....I used to call my 400h "Princess" but that doesn't seem to fit any longer....now she's more like...hmmm,... "XENA"! Happy trails fellow Lexies...Rey

Only bad things about those TOYOS is you'll have tire noise as they wear,simliar to the noise from a chainsaw

WTF?

Very vague!

Can you elaborate? Have any experience with the Proxies or just Toyo's in general?

Only bad things about those TOYOS is you'll have tire noise as they wear,simliar to the noise from a chainsaw

WTF?

Very vague!

Can you elaborate? Have any experience with the Proxies or just Toyo's in general?

Different user, but I also developed a lot of noise on Proxes TPT on a 2003 MB E320 after about 17,000 miles. They still had plenty of tread but I could not take the noise. Pressures, alignment, balance, and rotation were all fine but I had to get rid of them purely for the noise.

WTF?

Very vague!

Different user, but I also developed a lot of noise on Proxes TPT on a 2003 MB E320 after about 17,000 miles. They still had plenty of tread but I could not take the noise. Pressures, alignment, balance, and rotation were all fine but I had to get rid of them purely for the noise.

Excellent responce!

I do not know how the TPT differ from the S/T but we will keep an eye or ear on them.

On second thought lets look it up.

Proxies TPT

Proxies S/T

They do appear to be be very different tires all together so we will have to wait an see/hear.

Thanks

Proxes TPT are different than the S/T s but ANYTHING would have been better than the garbage GY...and if the Toyos turn out ot be less than what I am feeling now, which is they are amazing, then I will get a set of something else and keep posting info! Life's too short and I just want the best and "I tell you what" (Said like Hank Hill) my car feels like a new ride! Rey

I've work at a dealer and almost every set of Toyo S/T equipped car at some after about 10,000 miles were making lots of noise. With the directional tread patten, you can't cross rotate for pulls/drifts either. I don't like those tires for those reasons. Hopefully yours don't sound like a helicopter on wheels.

Well, I did ask for all of your opinions and this is the first time I heard anything negative about the Toyos, so better late than never isn't true here. I just spent a lot of money and now you tell me that they will be be loud as they wear down. Well, as I said, if they turn out to be bad or less than the amazing experience that I'm having now,I'll get something else. Thanks anyway, Rey

Let me add, I don't mind being the test pilot. I will be very honest in the next few months and keep everyone posted so that maybe I can save someone else from making my mistakes. I'll keep track, as always, of my mileage, the wear and noise of the TOYO Proxes S/Ts. Right now they are new, quiet,amazingly smooth, the cornering is great. I know, the Good Year OEMs were so bad that anything would be great by comparison but these are really great tires and if at 17K they start to sound like a leaf blower, I will have gotten 4K more than I did with the GYs and all of you can learn from my mistake. Have a blessed Easter, warmly, Rey

Well, I did ask for all of your opinions and this is the first time I heard anything negative about the Toyos, so better late than never isn't true here. I just spent a lot of money and now you tell me that they will be be loud as they wear down. Well, as I said, if they turn out to be bad or less than the amazing experience that I'm having now,I'll get something else. Thanks anyway, Rey

Let me add, I don't mind being the test pilot. I will be very honest in the next few months and keep everyone posted so that maybe I can save someone else from making my mistakes. I'll keep track, as always, of my mileage, the wear and noise of the TOYO Proxes S/Ts. Right now they are new, quiet,amazingly smooth, the cornering is great. I know, the Good Year OEMs were so bad that anything would be great by comparison but these are really great tires and if at 17K they start to sound like a leaf blower, I will have gotten 4K more than I did with the GYs and all of you can learn from my mistake. Have a blessed Easter, warmly, Rey

I will also be a guinea pig! But so far no one has any experience with the Toyo Proxie ST. I had them on my BMW X5 for 15,000 miles and loved them but that is sold so I have no experience long term. Even with the negative comments I still would have bought them since no one has used this tire. As far as comparison I sold back the OEM Michelins after 300 miles and I can tell you these Toyo's are better in every way. So if folks want to keep chiming in and telling me how there grandma etc had noisy Toyo's (not ST's) fire away. Rey and I will post follow ups but I only put 10,000 miles a year on her so it may take a while.

MPG on Toyo's

First 2 tank = same as OEM tires.

Third tank > 0.5 mpg better than OEM (but still breaking her in)

Rey when you are figuring your mpg don't forget to add 3% to you total miles before dividing by your gallons.

Since you went with the larger tires they travel 3% farther than stated so your on board trip computer will be off and show less mpg than is real. Of course the on board computer is off anyway so maybe it will be right on now :D

Happy Easter

Just to chime in here on the Hankook and something my local dealer told me about with his experience on these tires.

The HR06 (with the tread pattern similar to the Toyo) had issues with noise as they wore in. The new tread pattern of the HR07 design was partly to address this issue.

I guess all tires are quiet when they are new, but some take on their own individual "song" as they age.

Also to update on the price, Ive been quoted $121 ea on the Hankook from America's Tire... now I have an ethical delema to resolve. Get the better price from a big chain or pay extra to support the local retailer ($142 ea)... :(

I've work at a dealer and almost every set of Toyo S/T equipped car at some after about 10,000 miles were making lots of noise. With the directional tread patten, you can't cross rotate for pulls/drifts either. I don't like those tires for those reasons. Hopefully yours don't sound like a helicopter on wheels.

I had a similar experience with Sumitomo tires on our Nissan Quest. The tires were perfectly quiet and smooth for about 10,000 miles or so. After that, the tread noise became very irritating, at best. We now have over 1000 miles on our Bridgestone Alenzas and from what I've read in the many reviews on the internet, they should remain quiet for a very long time (non-unidirectional threads probably help in this regards).

As was mentioned, though - time and mileage will tell. So far, our Alenzas get two thumbs up from my household.

Dave

I will also be a guinea pig! But so far no one has any experience with the Toyo Proxie ST. I had them on my BMW X5 for 15,000 miles and loved them but that is sold so I have no experience long term. Even with the negative comments I still would have bought them since no one has used this tire. As far as comparison I sold back the OEM Michelins after 300 miles and I can tell you these Toyo's are better in every way. So if folks want to keep chiming in and telling me how there grandma etc had noisy Toyo's (not ST's) fire away. Rey and I will post follow ups but I only put 10,000 miles a year on her so it may take a while.

MPG on Toyo's

Rey when you are figuring your mpg don't forget to add 3% to you total miles before dividing by your gallons.

Since you went with the larger tires they travel 3% farther than stated so your on board trip computer will be off and show less mpg than is real. Of course the on board computer is off anyway so maybe it will be right on now :D

Happy Easter

Well, I only use my own figures to get the MPGs, meaning, I filled up today: 350 miles and I used 13.6 gallons which meant I got 25.7 MPG...so do I add 3% to the 350 miles? That would bring it to what I usually get,26.5 MPG...I think that's what you meant right? No, I never trust the on board computer but it is always higher by around .5 of what I get. So if it reads 27, I know I will figure it to be 26.5, so I'm getting exactly the same MPGs as before....... anyway, I will just have to see what happens in the long run. I too only drive 8-9K a year so it'll be a while before the tires start becoming impossible to live with from what everyone is now saying. Take care and I pray that we survive the horrors of TOYO tires. (Yes, I'm being facetious!). Toodles, Rey

MPG on Toyo's

Happy Easter

Well, I only use my own figures to get the MPGs, meaning, I filled up today: 350 miles and I used 13.6 gallons which meant I got 25.7 MPG...so do I add 3% to the 350 miles? That would bring it to what I usually get,26.5 MPG...I think that's what you meant right? No, I never trust the on board computer but it is always higher by around .5 of what I get. So if it reads 27, I know I will figure it to be 26.5, so I'm getting exactly the same MPGs as before....... anyway, I will just have to see what happens in the long run. I too only drive 8-9K a year so it'll be a while before the tires start becoming impossible to live with from what everyone is now saying. Take care and I pray that we survive the horrors of TOYO tires. (Yes, I'm being facetious!). Toodles, Rey

That is correct if you traveled 350 miles you really traveled 360.5 miles.

Solid mpg by the way! City/highway mix? :cheers:

MPG on Toyo's

Happy Easter

That is correct if you traveled 350 miles you really traveled 360.5 miles.

Solid mpg by the way! City/highway mix?:cheers:

Mixed and yes, I have been very happy with the MPGs. I was only getting around 17 with my PT Crusier...I only bought that because it was so cool at the time...before they made 50million of them. I t was rated at 24-29mpg but I NEVER got better than 19 and after three years the average was between 17 and 18 so I knew when I bought my 400h and they claimed 33...I hoped to get over 25. Thanks for the positive posts, I got tired of hearing about the Toyo tires and how they will be too loud to hear the radio. Isn't it just the case, I talked about them for over a week before I bought them, asked for opinions about Toyo on this forum, did my research and it wasn't until I bought them, put them on my car that NOW I hear everything bad about them. Oh, well, live and learn. At least I got rid of those terrible Good Years! So it looks like next year I'll have to buy new tires again. Rey

I've been noticing that when I fill my tank I can add as much as an additional gallon if I "top off" repeatedly. Yes, I know this is a no-no but I'm just experimenting. This of course makes a significant difference in mileage from tank to tank even though long-term it's not important. Have others noticed the same characteristics when filling up?

Tom

I've been noticing that when I fill my tank I can add as much as an additional gallon if I "top off" repeatedly. Yes, I know this is a no-no but I'm just experimenting. This of course makes a significant difference in mileage from tank to tank even though long-term it's not important. Have others noticed the same characteristics when filling up?

Tom

To get the most consistant results you should always fill up at the same pump. Each pump will have slightly differnent senistivity for shut of and will trip at slightly different levels. Even with that you still have no contol over when the pump is serviced which could affect the sensitivity. Then there are temp and humidty factors that could play into it...

Using the onboard computer will give you better comparision data (am I getting better or worse) but, as you say, may not be spot on actual consumption.

There is a menu in the nav for adjusting you tire dia values, but I can't remember if its in the regular menu or the service menu. You can use this to sync your computer with your actual MPG if your really wanted to. It would have no effect on the speedo or odometer however.

• 1 month later...

Well after a couple thousand miles I haven't noticed a change in MPGs but I do think that I might have lost 1/2 of an mpg if I'm pressed to give an answer, but at 1/2 MPG, it's too hard to tell if it's the new tires, the type of driving I'm dong now that I've had the car a while, the fact that I am more agressive with one tank than another,less careful, who knows. I have found that it really takes a lot to change the MPGs one way or the other on any car,or at least the ones I've had. When I had my PT Cruiser,it was advertised as a 29mpg car, I was NEVER able to get it past 19 MPGs for the three yeras that I had it before I got my 400h. I tried a cold air intake, new Borla exhaust, nothing got it to even be 1 MPG better. I averaged about 17-18 MPGs for those three years, so I don't think I can do anything to mess up my 25 MPGs that I have gotten for the past year and a half of having my "Peggy Hill", as I now call my 400h! I love the Toyo tires though. I know many on this site afterwards have told me that they will sound like I have a leaf blower in my car, but so far they are quiet, sure footed and look smashing! They look so much better than any tires I've seen on any RX and because they are bigger, they fit the wells so much better. So if those of you are right and I start to hate them...well, like in other things in life, I'll "fire" them and get the Alenzas next year and every year I'll try different tires...no big woop! Life's too short. Happy trails my good Lexus friends from Rey Bustos in sunny L.A.