Get Your Q Tips Ready ,the Ulitmate Fix

Most of us have come across the seatbelt being lazy and not retracting when released.

Well i found out it can be fixed by cleaning the upper anchor Basically as the seatbelt retracts it leaves behind a film of dirt which build up over time.

By taking a q tip in alcohol you can clean the anchor holding up the belt . Once clean add some plastic protectant to allow it to be more slippery and it is all done in 30 seconds. My belts now retract when released again . Who ever looks under the anchor for dirt but it works.

I got my 2002 es300 last month, and I noticed this about my seatbelt. I just thought it was old or I'd have to replace the mechanism, but it took just 1 Q-tip to bring it back to like new. I'm so glad I found this forum!

Michael

quote name='SKperformance' date='Mar 19 2007, 06:50 PM' post='232494']

Most of us have come across the seatbelt being lazy and not retracting when released.

Well i found out it can be fixed by cleaning the upper anchor Basically as the seatbelt retracts it leaves behind a film of dirt which build up over time.

By taking a q tip in alcohol you can clean the anchor holding up the belt . Once clean add some plastic protectant to allow it to be more slippery and it is all done in 30 seconds. My belts now retract when released again . Who ever looks under the anchor for dirt but it works.

I've had to "feed" my seatbelt back into its retractor each time by hand for the last year.

Great tip, SKperformance ! .... Q-tip, that is !! :)

Obviously, ideas like this are why you earn the big bucks around here! :P

Thanks!

Obviously, ideas like this are why you earn the big bucks around here! :P

Thanks!

What is even more funny than the pun is the idea i earn anything ...

LOL

I am glad to help and it give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

One other thing to help it move faster is to clean the whole seat belt with a mr clean magic eraser to remove the built up make up and other dirt slowing it down.