Rx400h Rear Visibility

It's interesting to note that no one seems to have complained about the rear visibility of the RX400h when backing up. I find neither the rear camera nor the three mirrors give me any idea how close I actually am to an object behind me. On several occasions I've backed up to a table or second vehicle to load something into or out if the "trunk" and been off by a good 6 feet. Am I alone in this complaint?

Tom

Some SUVs have ultrasonic range snesors that beep more frequently as the object gets closer. Even better would be a distance measurement display (you can buy the kit for about $100) that tells you what the distance is, fairly accurately. I agree that it IS difficult to judge using the camera or by looking back. The best vehicles for judging distance of objects behind you are small pickup trucks, IMO.

However, having a large vehicle that is somewhat tall almost guarantees that backing up will be tricky. Even my Corvette rear end location is tough to judge when backing up. I always allow much more than enough room.

Dave

I rely on the backup camera and keep my eye on the rear bumper seeing as how you can get an excellent view from the camera angle. And, seeing as how the bumper is the furthest or closest point of contact if you do hit something, I use that as my reference point.

Personally, I've driven worse vehicles... blind spots in locations while changing lanes. The worsest that comes to mind was my 1993 Toyota All-Trac 4WD, WOE!!!! Talk about needing glasses. You couldn't see squat on the passenger side if changing lanes from left to right.

IMHO, station wagons are the easiest vehicles to back up in. Had a winter vehicle 1977 Pontiac Lemans (back in the early eighties) station wagon, could park that sucker on a dime in a spot no bigger than the length of the vehicle, plus one licence plate frame LOL.

Though, most SUV's I've owned are not very friendly to back up, I have always purchased them with the tow hitch option (not so much that I tow as for the added protection they offer for those times I can only park on a public street). And I do agree with Gryphon the first attempt I made to back up (I didn't trust the backup camera) I was so far back that I swore I could of taken a taxi ride for how far off I was from where I wanted to be.

I guess practice makes perfect, and getting used to it.

Cheers,

MadloR

My understanding is that the backup camera is on the vehicle primarily for safety reasons. SUV drivers unintentionally backing up over little kids etc. has been all over the news of late so I suspect that's the primary reason the camera is on the car. That said, I don't like using it to back into a spot and prefer to use it to "clear" the area before I backup. I wish Lexus would've put the the "aural rangefinders" found on other SUV's(MB GL450) on the RX. Lets add that to the "wishlist".

i have no problem with it. WHen i back up, i look over both shoulders and then rely on the backup camera. I LOVE MY BACK UP CAMERA. my wife and i have vowed not to buy another car without one. Its great for getting maximum space when backing up, and is also goo to see if there are any cars when backing out of a slanted parking spot.

It's interesting to note that no one seems to have complained about the rear visibility of the RX400h when backing up. I find neither the rear camera nor the three mirrors give me any idea how close I actually am to an object behind me. On several occasions I've backed up to a table or second vehicle to load something into or out if the "trunk" and been off by a good 6 feet. Am I alone in this complaint?

Tom

My wife (whose 5'-7") gripes about blind sponts in our 400h ~ but being taller (6'-5"), from my angle it's no big deal.

I find the backup camera a tremendous help in positioning and aiming my backup maneuvers. The fisheye effect takes some getting used to tho.

What I always do when I'm behind the wheel of a new (to me) vehicle is get aquainted with where the wheels and bumper limits are so I can better judge where I'm putting the thing. Tires are easy, since you can feel them out with little bumps in the road as you drive, like the lane markers, those are good. The bumpers are bit trickier, especially if you don't actually want to make contact :o

When I find one of those tall construction cones separated from the heard, I always take advantage of it by seeing how close I can get without toching it. For that kind of training the backup camera is very useful. I also finde the line between the rubber mat and the paint (clearly visible in the camera view on my car with bamboo color paint) can be used to line up onto the stripes of a parking lot or edge of a drive way to keep you strait.

Good hunting.

i drive ford econoline vans as well as the 400h so i am used to using my mirrors, looking for the blind spots and actually looking before i back up. I find the camera on the 400h really useful in checking my distance from the bumper of the car behind me.