Timeing Belt Or Timeing Chain?

sheab

hi lexus prosssssssssssss..............Does lexus use timeing belt or timeing chain on 1991 LS400?...look at this --- i smeel kida smoke so i opend my plug and wear cover .. so took a look at the timeing belt seem like its made out of plastic..lol best teeth were kida looks like burning out like plastic does .i mean melting ..

is it normal ? .. guys dont mind me cuz im new to lexus thanks ..

hi lexus prosssssssssssss..............Does lexus use timeing belt or timeing chain on 1991 LS400?...look at this --- i smeel kida smoke so i opend my plug and wear cover .. so took a look at the timeing belt seem like its made out of plastic..lol best teeth were kida looks like burning out like plastic does .i mean melting ..

is it normal ? .. guys dont mind me cuz im new to lexus thanks ..

Smoke and fire? Uh no not normal...

The LS400 uses an aramid-fibre reinforced timing belt. If you are seeing melting it's possible that your water pump is seizing up and stripping the teeth off the belt.

I would have the car towed to a mechanic immediately...if it snaps it can ruin your engine. How many miles does the car have? The belt should be replaced at least every 90,000 miles...

It is doubtful that a breaking timing belt will cause damage on a 91. The jury seems to be out on 95-97 on whether there would be any damage. For sure there will be damage on a 98-up LS.

I seem to be one of the few who have actually had a timing belt thown on a gen 1 LS. There was no damage to my 90 LS when it happened and the repair shop owner who fixed it confirmed that damage would be very unlikely on a 90-94 LS.

Smoke and fire? Uh no not normal...

The LS400 uses an aramid-fibre reinforced timing belt. If you are seeing melting it's possible that your water pump is seizing up and stripping the teeth off the belt.

I would have the car towed to a mechanic immediately...if it snaps it can ruin your engine. How many miles does the car have? The belt should be replaced at least every 90,000 miles...

not that serious the way u taken it .. however .. how would i know that my wather pump is bad ..and the car have abt 144k and my brother changed the timing belt 4 months ago .. does this that help?

Are you 100% sure that the burning you're smelling is coming from your engine bay and not a plastic bag stuck under your car? What part of brooklyn are you in, if you're really that uncertain i can recommend an honest mechanic to you that would look at it.

Are you 100% sure that the burning you're smelling is coming from your engine bay and not a plastic bag stuck under your car? What part of brooklyn are you in, if you're really that uncertain i can recommend an honest mechanic to you that would look at it.

downtown -- brooklyn- by fulton thanks