What To Do?

rwallican

Had to get my power steering system replaced this week. The dealership was actually cheaper than my indie and I got the loaner. Paid $2000 for the pump, rack, pressure hose and gear assembly. I'm ok with that. They also told me that I need an EGR tube, transmission and motor mounts, rear knuckle bushings, and front strut rods. I've never heard of an EGR tube but I'm guessing the mounts would be most important to replace. What do some of you "experienced" owners think my plan of attack should be? And how much do you estimate the whole job should cost (The dealership wanted another $3000 for the job!!!)? Any advice would be appreciated. I've got 108,000 on my 96 and I'm trying to keep all the maintenance up so she can last me for years to come.

Had to get my power steering system replaced this week. The dealership was actually cheaper than my indie and I got the loaner. Paid $2000 for the pump, rack, pressure hose and gear assembly. I'm ok with that. They also told me that I need an EGR tube, transmission and motor mounts, rear knuckle bushings, and front strut rods. I've never heard of an EGR tube but I'm guessing the mounts would be most important to replace. What do some of you "experienced" owners think my plan of attack should be? And how much do you estimate the whole job should cost (The dealership wanted another $3000 for the job!!!)? Any advice would be appreciated. I've got 108,000 on my 96 and I'm trying to keep all the maintenance up so she can last me for years to come.

stop going to the dealership, that's the 1st suggestion. Especially now since you have the list of repairs.

Buy your mounts and stuff from one of the online vendors from www.parts.com... I like www.lexuspartsonline.com myself, but there are several to choose from. The EGR tube I hear is a pain in the butt to fix, as it's pretty tough to get at. Your steering repair, did it include the outer tie rod ends, and inner tie rod ends as well? It better have, for that amount of money. Your outer tie rod ends are usally the first to go.

If you buy all the parts from the online vendor, you're probably looking at:

Strut rods - $95 each, need two of them

Motor mounts - $89 each, need two of them "labeled as the front months"

Motor / tranny mount - $31 each, only need one of them "labeled as the rear motor mount".

The rear carrier bushings..aka..rear knuckle bushings... these are actually an after-market repair that the dealerships have endorsed. They use a bushing kit called the ASUS... Call the parts counter, and tell them you need the carrier repair kit for your car. I think it's the ASUS 530, or 505. I can't recall, but they're only like $50 bucks for both.

EGR Tube - $87 bucks, only need one.

Total for your parts online = $536

Find an indi mechanic who's able to work on Lexus, bring him the parts, and expect to pay around $600 in labor. Grand total....$1,136.

These are true lexus parts, the same ones your dealership is selling. REserve the dealership for those repairs that involve the dna of the car, the true specalist with the backing of the corporate office. Suspension parts are not at that level. To give you an indication of how easy they are, I replaced my enitre front set up, every single piece, including the outer tie rods, by myself, and at the time, I was no DIY type.

I suggest in your repairs.... front lower ball joints, stabalizer bar mounts all around (4 total), timing belt "was the 90k service done on the car? This includes timing belt, water pump, plugs, wires, fluids, etc.."

The timing belt and waterpump repair gets pricy. Indi's can pull it off for around $700, the dealerships are more than twice that amount.

Also, expect with these repairs for your older parts to show their flaws sooner. What happens is that you install a new part, and the older parts that aged with the part you're replacing, show thier age a little. Nothing major, and you'll be fine for another year or two, but expect your lower control arm bushing to show it's age a little.

Point of my advice..... buy online, take to indi. Or, do it yourself, as it's not hard to do. Ask us what you're working on, and we'll find you the Pdf. instructions, as most of us have the entire catelog of repairing the car, from the antenna mask, to the headliner, to the pistons...... headlight to taillight.

Got any pictures of your car? We like pictures here!

Here is a picture of mine...and Blakes, we're twins!

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=27799

post-9131-1172593541_thumb.jpgpost-9131-1172593561_thumb.jpg

Here's my ride.

I usually go to an indie for all other service. I just happened to call around after my indie diagnosed the problem and found that I could save at the dealer by getting remanned parts. This time, the indie was looking for $2500 for the PS replacement. I couldn't believe it either! I just checked all the parts at lexusparts.com and found a tremendous savings over the prices quoted at the dealership. Thanks for the info!

I had the 90k service done already by my indie. I figure I'll invest another $1000 in my car and, hopefully, won't have any more problems for a couple of years. I know that some of this stuff is designed to go out and I'm willing to replace, especially since it's paid for. I also know that dealers want to replace things that could go for another couple of years. That's why I was asking what really needs to be done right now. I'll do the mounts,bushings, and strut rods and save the EGR tube for later. Thanks for all the info.

I capped off my EGR pipe instead of replacing it. It took 30 minutes, and the difference in the noise level is simply astounding. She's so quiet. It was by far the best 30 minutes we've spent working on the car. Some shops will tell you that you need to pull your tranny for this, but you really don't....several people have done it with it in place. Would it make things easier? Sure, but if it's optional, and you're paying someone $90/hour, the tranny can stay right where it is! LOL A shop (Davenport) in Dallas quoted me ~$350 for the egr pipe replacement which is pretty reasonable.

I capped off my EGR pipe instead of replacing it. It took 30 minutes, and the difference in the noise level is simply astounding. She's so quiet. It was by far the best 30 minutes we've spent working on the car. Some shops will tell you that you need to pull your tranny for this, but you really don't....several people have done it with it in place. Would it make things easier? Sure, but if it's optional, and you're paying someone $90/hour, the tranny can stay right where it is! LOL A shop (Davenport) in Dallas quoted me ~$350 for the egr pipe replacement which is pretty reasonable.

Blake, do you think I would be able to pass inspection if I did this as well, in the future of course "god hoping not soon".?

That's a good question, and I don't know the answer. I live in a parish where we don't do emission testing, so it made no difference to me. My pipe was completely severed in two pieces, so making this contraption

post-1461-1172596060_thumb.jpg

....was quite easy. Saw off the bellows part, and bend and clamp the remaining tube shut--starting with your hammer and finishing up with a vise (and it will hold a vacuum). This literally took less than 30 minutes and $0, so I'd give it a try, and if it fails the emission test, just go ahead and replace the entire tube.

As far as the new repairs needed such as strut rods, mounts and bushings are you having any symptoms or problems? Clunking over bumps or vibrations? Give us some feedback on how your car feels or what you have noticed. You may be getting early recommendations from your dealer which they are famous for.

On your next repair job, I would go back to your indie and tell him you have a hook-up on the parts and will provide them and you need a quote for the labor. I would also find out the labor times for these repairs so you know where more or less where your indie should be and work him from there. You can get a lot of labor rates from: http://www.bedlib.org/ebsco.html

If you do need strut rods, you can get them from lexuspartsonline for like $95 each. Labor from my indie ran me $120, so it was about $300 total.

Good luck on your upcomings! :cheers:

No, I'm not having any issues. The car is riding as smooth as ever. I know how the dealership will try to change out everything on the car years in advance. I had a Honda Accord in college and was told that it needed back brakes. After 7 more years, I finally had them changed! I called my indie and they said they'll check things out at my next oil change.

nc211,

Just a quick note to say how much I enjoy reading your posts. They're always well written and informative.

Also, check out Blakes and your cars at the link. Both are very nice looking. Good to see a nice stock LS without all lowering and modding business. These cars are good looking as they are without a bunch of "french pastry"

stop going to the dealership, that's the 1st suggestion. Especially now since you have the list of repairs.

Buy your mounts and stuff from one of the online vendors from www.parts.com... I like www.lexuspartsonline.com myself, but there are several to choose from. The EGR tube I hear is a pain in the butt to fix, as it's pretty tough to get at. Your steering repair, did it include the outer tie rod ends, and inner tie rod ends as well? It better have, for that amount of money. Your outer tie rod ends are usally the first to go.

If you buy all the parts from the online vendor, you're probably looking at:

Strut rods - $95 each, need two of them

Motor mounts - $89 each, need two of them "labeled as the front months"

Motor / tranny mount - $31 each, only need one of them "labeled as the rear motor mount".

The rear carrier bushings..aka..rear knuckle bushings... these are actually an after-market repair that the dealerships have endorsed. They use a bushing kit called the ASUS... Call the parts counter, and tell them you need the carrier repair kit for your car. I think it's the ASUS 530, or 505. I can't recall, but they're only like $50 bucks for both.

EGR Tube - $87 bucks, only need one.

Total for your parts online = $536

Find an indi mechanic who's able to work on Lexus, bring him the parts, and expect to pay around $600 in labor. Grand total....$1,136.

These are true lexus parts, the same ones your dealership is selling. REserve the dealership for those repairs that involve the dna of the car, the true specalist with the backing of the corporate office. Suspension parts are not at that level. To give you an indication of how easy they are, I replaced my enitre front set up, every single piece, including the outer tie rods, by myself, and at the time, I was no DIY type.

I suggest in your repairs.... front lower ball joints, stabalizer bar mounts all around (4 total), timing belt "was the 90k service done on the car? This includes timing belt, water pump, plugs, wires, fluids, etc.."

The timing belt and waterpump repair gets pricy. Indi's can pull it off for around $700, the dealerships are more than twice that amount.

Also, expect with these repairs for your older parts to show their flaws sooner. What happens is that you install a new part, and the older parts that aged with the part you're replacing, show thier age a little. Nothing major, and you'll be fine for another year or two, but expect your lower control arm bushing to show it's age a little.

Point of my advice..... buy online, take to indi. Or, do it yourself, as it's not hard to do. Ask us what you're working on, and we'll find you the Pdf. instructions, as most of us have the entire catelog of repairing the car, from the antenna mask, to the headliner, to the pistons...... headlight to taillight.

Got any pictures of your car? We like pictures here!

Here is a picture of mine...and Blakes, we're twins!

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=27799

nc211,

Just a quick note to say how much I enjoy reading your posts. They're always well written and informative.

Also, check out Blakes and your cars at the link. Both are very nice looking. Good to see a nice stock LS without all lowering and modding business. These cars are good looking as they are without a bunch of "french pastry"

GKLCPA, thank you for those nice comments :cheers: . It is always nice to know that your efforts are appreciated. I have no doubt that you too will be posting up your lessons-learned-along-the-way soon as well. I really just pass along the knowledge I have learned from guys like bicolini, blake, sk, srk, threadcutter, dcfish, swo, and the countless others that have posted up their knowledge as well. I can honestly say, that if it had not been for this website and these guys, I would of sold this car long ago, and came close once or twice. But now that the wobble from hell has been fixed, boy am I glad I didn't!

Blake has more toys on his car than mine, all I have is my ipod hooked in to the tape player. I can't recall the last time I turned on the car phone in the arm rest, i'm not sure if it even works anymore. I've thought about tinting the windows, but my eyesite at night isn't that great anymore, and don't want to chance it. Plus, it's not quite as hot here as it is down in Blake's neck of the woods. You want to talk about hot! Good Lord, LA in August is one of the hotest, most humid places on earth!

Anyway, thanks for the warm comments! I'm glad to help, and pass along the knowledge that has been passed along to me. Owning an older LS400 is like fraternity, knowing how to maintain it on a shoe-string budget, is the secret handshake amongst the club of owners. :cheers:

nc211,

GKLCPA, thank you for those nice comments :cheers: . It is always nice to know that your efforts are appreciated. I have no doubt that you too will be posting up your lessons-learned-along-the-way soon as well. I really just pass along the knowledge I have learned from guys like bicolini, blake, sk, srk, threadcutter, dcfish, swo, and the countless others that have posted up their knowledge as well. I can honestly say, that if it had not been for this website and these guys, I would of sold this car long ago, and came close once or twice. But now that the wobble from hell has been fixed, boy am I glad I didn't!

Blake has more toys on his car than mine, all I have is my ipod hooked in to the tape player. I can't recall the last time I turned on the car phone in the arm rest, i'm not sure if it even works anymore. I've thought about tinting the windows, but my eyesite at night isn't that great anymore, and don't want to chance it. Plus, it's not quite as hot here as it is down in Blake's neck of the woods. You want to talk about hot! Good Lord, LA in August is one of the hotest, most humid places on earth!

Anyway, thanks for the warm comments! I'm glad to help, and pass along the knowledge that has been passed along to me. Owning an older LS400 is like fraternity, knowing how to maintain it on a shoe-string budget, is the secret handshake amongst the club of owners.:cheers:

I second GKLCPA's remarks...

Not only have I learned alot about maintaining my car and have saved a ton of money repairing it myself...but it was what I read here that prompted me to buy the car in the first place 3 yrs ago. After reading about the gen 2's track record and owner comments, I picked up a low mileage 96 and have been loving it ever since.

No, it has not been a trouble-free dream car. After about 40K more miles of daily driving, it has had most of the common problems that we read about here that pop up in +100K mile machines...PS leaks, worn out bushings, steering wheel glitches, warped rotors, failed antenna, etc... These were all easily repaired by me for moedest $$ after doing a little forum searching. So it is really my finicky dream car.

These are complex automobiles that require careful and regular maintenance. I think everybody knows that.

Is it worth the effort??? H**L yes! It's the most comfortable and satisfying car I've ever owned.

Do these forums help? Absolutely!! Keep up the good work guys!

I went ahead and ordered the parts for my work on trademotion.com (through Park Place Lexus Plano). Got both strut rods, motor mounts and transmission mount for $450. My indie is going to charge $600 for everything including the alignment. Thanks for all of your advice. You saved me quite a bit of money! Now that the steering and suspension issues are taken care of, I should be good for another 100k!

I went ahead and ordered the parts for my work on trademotion.com (through Park Place Lexus Plano). Got both strut rods, motor mounts and transmission mount for $450. My indie is going to charge $600 for everything including the alignment. Thanks for all of your advice. You saved me quite a bit of money! Now that the steering and suspension issues are taken care of, I should be good for another 100k!

If you wanna save alot more money, and your a DIY'r...consider doing the work yourself.

I just finished putting new tranny mount and strut rods on my 96 this week. The strut rods took an afternoon, the tranny mount took about 45min. Haven't done the motor mounts yet...still researching the best procedure.

My 96 is an Arizona car and was pretty rust free. That may make a difference in how much effort goes into the suspension work. The strut rods were easier that I had hoped. Tranny mount was a breeze.

I also replaced all 4 brake rotors with new Brembo blanks to eliminate a shudder during braking. Put on a new set of tires 2 weeks ago...so now, the car is as smooth and quiet as new. I'm wondering whether to postpone the front engine mount work.

I'm not a DIYer. I don't seem to have the time. I can't wait to see the difference in the ride with the new strut rods.

I bet you'll be pleased, like Harky, at the difference. I always get great satisfaction out of repairing (or having repaired) a component that makes a noticeable improvement. But I know know there are people who could not care less as long as it gets them from point A to point B.

Oh my goodness!! What a difference in ride I'm getting from the strut rod replacement. I got that old, tight drive back. And the wobble in the steering wheel is GONE! I had the mechanic hold all my old parts and they were totally gone. The motor and transmission mounts were busted as well. I guess a good word of advice to everyone with older models and over 100k is to get all the rubber based parts inspected. It'll save you a lot of worries.