Trans Drain & Fill Vs Flush

edbro

I've seen lots of different advice regarding transmission mx to forestall what some think is inevitable transmission failure on the earlier models. My question regards the difference between draining the fluid versus a complete flush. Some have advocated a series of drain and fills that would eventually replace most of the old fluid. Others have said that drain and fills are useless and a flush is the only way to go.

I would like to think that a series of drain and fills would suffice as it would be easier and cheaper. The logic of it makes me think it would work. Does anybody have any objective evidence that complete flushes are the only procedures that do any good?

On a old tranny with very little maintenance I would be very careful about getting a flush, It might bring stuff into the valve body assembly that could cause a failure. I like the idea of the flush that some have done with running the car and removing a tranny line from the cooler. This would do essentially the same thing without power flushing stuff thru. I know they add additives during flushes, which on a new car would probably be fine, but on a old car I dont like the idea, seems to me on a old car it is kind of like breaking plac loose on the arteries of you heart and hoping none goes to the brain. Just my thoughts. Have a great day.

I've seen lots of different advice regarding transmission mx to forestall what some think is inevitable transmission failure on the earlier models. My question regards the difference between draining the fluid versus a complete flush. Some have advocated a series of drain and fills that would eventually replace most of the old fluid. Others have said that drain and fills are useless and a flush is the only way to go.

I would like to think that a series of drain and fills would suffice as it would be easier and cheaper. The logic of it makes me think it would work. Does anybody have any objective evidence that complete flushes are the only procedures that do any good?

i bought my 2000 rx with 50,000 miles on it, i became aware of the tranny problems and started the drain and fill program, first drain fluid was brown, waited 1 week and repeated, i kept a small sample of every drain and compared to new in bottle. took 4 drain and fills over a month time before fluid looked as good as new in bottle. i now do drain and fill every 10000 miles, costs about 20 bucks for each. my next job is pulling the pan and checking the magnets, got my gasket the other day. i know have right at 90,000 miles on my rx, shifts smoothly

New fluid has lots of additive in it from Toyota to clean any debris in the tranny. The best way is to add an external filter after the flush to capture the tiny debris that the oem screen cannot. after the first flush the filter will need to be changed after a month as it will hold alot of the sludge build up that is released from new fluid. Do this and you can then so drain and fills if wanted but you can't beat a drain in removing dirt.

I would agree with Lenore and would suggest drain and feel method. Actually, the last time I talked to lexus in our area in fall of 2006, who in private conversations were very much aware of RX300-99/2000 transmission issues, they were doing drains by themselves. It is probably enough if you do it regularly, every 10K-15K. Howeever, it may extend the life of transmission, but will not cure the problem. Every car and driver is different, so failures could occur at different times for each driver. I was planning to do it for my wife's car again this month after 11K.

By the way, do you folks know the actual torq value for the 2 transmission oil plugs?

I like the idea of the flush that some have done with running the car and removing a tranny line from the cooler. This would do essentially the same thing without power flushing stuff thru.

Has anyone ever used this method? I have read of folks talking about it but I have never read of anyone actually using this method.

Has anyone ever used this method? I have read of folks talking about it but I have never read of anyone actually using this method.

I've seen it mentioned on the Auto-RX website. I am not commenting on their product at all but I do point out the technique they mention.

http://www.auto-rx.com/pages/auto-trans.htm

For Do-It-Yourself Mechanics Only (technical expertise required)

If you are willing to do it yourself here's our recommendation. Install 6 oz's of Auto-RX and run 1000-1500 miles to clean the transmission.

THEN drop pan, change filter, reinstall. Measuring the old fluid in pan into a milk bottle type container, install that amount of new ATF back into transmission. Disconnect BOTH ATF cooler lines at radiator and place a container or pan under each line end (helps to have an assistant). Start engine, shut down after 1 or 2 quarts have come out one of the lines. Refill exact amount of fresh fluid in transmission (this keeps air out of the system).

Start engine again and repeat until clean fluid is coming out of cooler line. This is messy and time consuming but will purge all old ATF from transmission and torque converter. Reinstall cooler lines and start car, cycle through gears, place in park and check level per owners manual. Check for leaks. Top up as necessary after driving and heated up. Don't overfill.

You just safely flushed the whole system, no T-TEC $ cost and Auto-RX has removed the dirt and contamination from your transmission.

"Disconnect BOTH ATF cooler lines at radiator and place a container or pan under each line end (helps to have an assistant). Start engine, shut down after 1 or 2 quarts have come out one of the lines. Refill exact amount of fresh fluid in transmission (this keeps air out of the system).

Start engine again and repeat until clean fluid is coming out of cooler line. This is messy and time consuming but will purge all old ATF from transmission and torque converter. Reinstall cooler lines and start car, cycle through gears, place in park and check level per owners manual. Check for leaks. Top up as necessary after driving and heated up. Don't overfill.

You just safely flushed the whole system"

If we skip adding this "God know what additive", and just drain as mentioned from the cooler lines at radiator and fill tranny back, this process should be safe.