Is Gs's Dash Due For A Technology Facelift For '08?

This same person tried to explain the cassette deck as something that many people still want for "books on tape". Hmmmm...)

As for the AUX input, your GS350 should have an aux input in the center console storage area like pcdg said.

An Aux input is okay, but in this class of car, iPod integration should at least be a factory option. The Aux won't allow you to charge or directly control your iPod, so that's a drawback. There are, however, some awesome integration kits for the GS, so that's not really a problem having cassette, CD, and iPod capability. . .

i love my GS and honestly, as advanced as the tech is.... they could have easily done more.

my complaints:

one screen that displays view options FOR EVERYTHING is incredibly irritating. i wish the A/C at least had its own screen. you have to keep switching back and forth between navigation, audio, and air conditioning, its annoying.

2nd.... no aux input. i had to pay 300+ for the vaistech ipod thing which honestly sucks balls. it gets on my nerves.

3rd....the screen directly beneath the speedometer is COMPLETELY useless. all it says is the temperature, which is pointless since there's a dedicated temperature display module next to the clock. at least if it showed the song track name, or the radio station name, or the street you're supposed to make a turn on ANYTHING is better than nothing.

mercedes's are really good with having that screen under the speedometer be useful. it displays numerous things, temperature, direction of travel, mileage, song track name, navigation.......... list goes on and on.

hopefully lexus will wise up and make some changes, they've made such an incredible car, not including these features which are becomming standard in most cars is a big mistake.

2nd.... no aux input. i had to pay 300+ for the vaistech ipod thing which honestly sucks balls. it gets on my nerves.

Could you elaborate on what specifically sucks balls about the Vaistech iPod integration? I'm thinking about getting it, but if it's that bad. . .

Thanks!

ok here goes... first of all there is a tremendous lag. it takes a few seconds for the track to change after you push the button. next, it only shows one track name at a time on the screen. this is primarily the fault of lexus and not vaistech as the car isn't capable of displaying a list of song titles. but the worse thing is everytime you switch from ipod to any other source of audio (radio, cd, sat) you have to go through this wierd process of hitting Mode 7 or 8 times before the vaistech starts working. i dont really know how else to describe it and maybe it isn't annoying for everyone but it *BLEEP*es the *BLEEP* out of me.

ok here goes... first of all there is a tremendous lag. it takes a few seconds for the track to change after you push the button. next, it only shows one track name at a time on the screen. this is primarily the fault of lexus and not vaistech as the car isn't capable of displaying a list of song titles. but the worse thing is everytime you switch from ipod to any other source of audio (radio, cd, sat) you have to go through this wierd process of hitting Mode 7 or 8 times before the vaistech starts working. i dont really know how else to describe it and maybe it isn't annoying for everyone but it *BLEEP*es the *BLEEP* out of me.

That sounds odd. I have the Vaistech product installed in my 2007 GSh and haven't experienced any problems with it at all (other than the INFURIATING blanking of the track information and playlist screens when the car is in motion, courtesy of Lexus' lawyers...)

An Aux input is okay, but in this class of car, iPod integration should at least be a factory option. The Aux won't allow you to charge or directly control your iPod, so that's a drawback. There are, however, some awesome integration kits for the GS, so that's not really a problem having cassette, CD, and iPod capability. . .

I can only think of one automaker that has iPod integration from the factory...BMW.

As for Vaistech, I have the Vaistech kit installed in mine, $400 and it works great. No complaints. Theres a small lag when you hit the track button but its hardly "a few seconds", 1/2 a second maybe. Sure it only displays one song title, but I know what the title of the song is when it comes on anyways. How on earth did we listen to CDs and the radio for all these years without song titles? Somehow we got by. As for "pushing mode 8 times" you simply cycle through your disc inputs. The unit is an iPod integrator and an AUX-IN and it emulates a MD or CD changer in the system. If you switch to CDs for instance or satellite radio you simply scroll through DISC until the Vais unit comes up. On mine it goes

CHANGER

IN DASH

VAIS-AUX

CHANGER

IN DASH

VAIS-IPOD

The system alternates between the aux input and the iPod every time you cycle through.

Is it perfect? No. But for a system that brings two technologies who aren't designed to work together to where they're very usable together I'd say its teriffic.

• 3 weeks later...
On the GS350 the Aux input for the stereo is in the center glovebox next to the Aux. Power outlet.

Sorry Dude,

You are mistaken.

There is NO Aux stereo mini jack input of any kind on the GS 350. I had to negotiate with my dealer to provide an add-on iPod integration kit.

...a MAJOR oversite in an otherwise great car.

• 1 month later...
i love my GS and honestly, as advanced as the tech is.... they could have easily done more.

my complaints:

one screen that displays view options FOR EVERYTHING is incredibly irritating. i wish the A/C at least had its own screen. you have to keep switching back and forth between navigation, audio, and air conditioning, its annoying.

3rd....the screen directly beneath the speedometer is COMPLETELY useless. all it says is the temperature, which is pointless since there's a dedicated temperature display module next to the clock. at least if it showed the song track name, or the radio station name, or the street you're supposed to make a turn on ANYTHING is better than nothing.

mercedes's are really good with having that screen under the speedometer be useful. it displays numerous things, temperature, direction of travel, mileage, song track name, navigation.......... list goes on and on.

hopefully lexus will wise up and make some changes, they've made such an incredible car, not including these features which are becomming standard in most cars is a big mistake.

'06: I know this was posted some time ago. I'm new to the forum and have been going back and reading some older posts. (Followed your accident, repair, and new rims...) I just came across this and saw your description of the screen below the speedo. On my '06 GS430 that screen can scroll through: Current mileage, Avg tank mileage, Range to Empty, Temperature. I agree, it makes little sense to show temp since that appears above the Nav screen, but I find the mileage and range data useful. Are our cars different in that regard...?

• 3 weeks later...

Lexus' website GS specifications list the Mark Levinson sound system as an optional add-on, replacing the standard 6-disc CD changer. The Mark Levinson sound system can play regular audio as well as MP3s and can play both CDs and DVDs and is also a 6-disc changer. This essentially equals to about 27 gigabytes of mp3 music, which is a little less than the standard 30GB Ipod.

This essentially equals to a system that can let you play nearly as much music as a regular ipod, does not require extra power or carrying space, and still retains a casette deck in case you find that rare music tape (I still have some old tapes. I want to try converting them to digital music someday, but that's later).

Of course, all this costs extra money (although if you're getting a GS, chances are you can well afford it), and does not offer you has much space as a 80GB ipod does, for the extreme music fans out there. (I say extreme cause do you really need 20,000 songs to listen to on a drive? Just a personal thought)

I fear I am losing my proverbial erection over this car. I went to the Chicago AutoShow yesterday and checked out the other Lexus sedans: the LS, IS , and ES all have an AUX input. I threw out my cassette tapes long ago, so that's sort of useless in the GS.

I'm guessing that the GS must be due for a dash overhaul. Maybe for '08? Anyone have any ideas about this?

I like your posting! I have a 07 GS350 and I can't believe it doesn't have an Aux input for an ipod or MP3 player. I even paid for Mark Levenson upgrade too and I don't have an Aux input. I went over the Lexus dealership and 5 people came out looking at the car insisting that it must be there....and it isn't.

But on the ES and IS, each model is cheaper then the GS and they don't have this 5 dollar access. By the way, a friend of mine just bought an 08 RX350 this week and it doesn't have an AUX input either.

Go figure!

Rick

ipod integration kit - $400 . or use the cassette to integrate it for $30.

replacing cheap uninspired BMW dashboard - about 10x that

oh, dont get me wrong. I am not saying I prefer the BMW dash. My point is merely it makes no sense in 2007 for the world's most technologically advanced hybrid to have a cassette in lieu of mp3/ipod connectivity. I am on my way now to test drive the GS 450h.

yeah, being responsive to the laggard niche that wants to use a cassette interface rather than having a oem auxillary jack is definitely leading edge thinking.

the GS has one of the more technology advanced dashes of all cars. Plus the info screen / or navigation option. Definitely blows away anything in a BMW

Yes, but at least BMW's have iPod integration...and no useless cassette...

ipod integration kit - $400 . or use the cassette to integrate it for $30.

replacing cheap uninspired BMW dashboard - about 10x that

and having a luxury car with a dash feature closer to an 8track than mp3, priceless.