Who Would Win The Race? Which Is Better?

MikeMiel

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well being that your in Sacramento that could be a little hard.. I live in Santa Monica, California... Besides it sounds like you may take me if your sporting over 500whp and 500 ft pounds of torque.... I will probably hang hopefully 0-60mph, even though my SC is only dishing out a little over 300whp and 475 torque... However, I am running the NOS and have crazy lowend power and decent traction to boot...It would be fun to give it a go, if you ever bring your beast down to LA look me up...I know just the empty street where we could give it a go...

I haven't lost a race in a long time, I forgot what it feels like..... ;)

Maybe I could give you a few car lengths. I'll hit you up the next time that I'm down there.

Hey kavvick, what's the deal with your turbo project?

What's your car again 92LEX?....How is it set up, tires, coilovers, etc...

You can't see my signature? But anyways, it's a '98 528i sitting on Kumho ASX tires right now. I also have a set of Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position tires that I use in good weather.

Here ya go (just in case you can't see my signature for some reason) :

Daily driven, fully built 2.8L : Pauter rods//CP pistons 8.5:1//Total Seal rings//Ferrea valve train//1mm over valves//stock cams//balanced bottom end//M50 intake manifold//666 Fabrication manifold//ISol. plasma coils//Walbro GSS340H fuel pump//Siemens 55lb injectors//custom GT35r turbo set-up//blow through 996 HFM//Accufab TB//TEC3r stand-alone//Supersprint exhaust//SBC stage 4 clutch//FMIC intercooler//UUC tranny mounts//UUC Evo3 SSK//UUC DSSR//UUC weighted shift knob//H&R coilovers//Eibach sway bars//Dinan strut bar//PFB slotted brake rotors//Hawk pads//*BLEEP*ssed in pants...n a few unrevealed secrets.

Hey that's sounds like one fast beemer to me....Good ride you got 92LEX!!!!!!!...

I am sure it weighs less then my SC4, so you may need to give me a head start if we raced let's say for a quarter mile... However, I do think I may spank you 0-60mph though...Like I said I got some very fat rear tires that are grippy, a good stall rate torque converter, a good Torsen LSD, and also very good weight transfer at launch. Combined all that with crazy lowend torque, and you have a front end of Lexus that lifts at launch... My first two gears rip under the NOS.... It would be a fun race for sure, but I do think you would clean me on the back half of the race based on what I have read... ;)

My car actually reaches full spool at 2500 RPM's and can lay down rubber through 4th gear, not to mention 15' burn outs :D . What size tires are you running in the back? Is it a staggered set-up? I'm running a staggered 285/245.

Like I said you will roast me on the back half of the race. I can only spin hard in 1rst and 2nd gears if I want to and almost cherp in third but not quite.... Spinning the tires doesn't mean the car will actually go fast though, you must grip and move for speed...

I just slapped some new tires on the rears and honestly forgot the size, I need to go outside and look again...It's the absolute widest tires that will fit in the rear wells of an SC4, it is about 1/8 of an inch from hitting the front fender lip and rear shock... The rims are a custom 10.5 inch width...I will get back to you on the size of my rears... My SC4 is lowered 2" as well..... I get no wheel hop at all when spinning the rears like I use too a few years back...

92LEX - Your sandbagging right now to keep those rears down...Humor!!!! I did that years back and lost a rear tire in the process..... I put 500lbs worth of sand bags in my trunk when I first installed my Nos system, and what happen next? Went for a launch and Snap, snap, snap, snap, snap, booooomm!!!! My stock lug bolts snapped off one by one and then my driver side wheel went flying into someones front yard at about 40mph, my SC4 back end dropped, and then there was the greatest spark show one could imagine as I grinded to a hault....Never tried that again... However, I did grip very well, maybe too well...

Gave up on the counter production of sand bagging.... I am suprised the driveshaft or axles did not break first, or the torque converter did not lock up or something....... Anyway no real damage, new brake rotor and spindle and I was back on the road again....

Kavvick, the only prefabbed boost setup I know of is the Eaton Supercharger kits that are made and sold in Australia for like $5000.... It's 100hp supercharger kit that comes with everything.... I think it underpowered for the money, but alot of people go with it anyway.....You can sometimes find them on Ebay, or buy and ship directly from Australia...

A custom single GT35r turbo would be your most effecient and cost effective boost setup, but you need to customize your exhaust to house the turbo, reverse custom made headers and V design, Electric fan swap are the hardest parts, the intercooler, ECU, and everything else is a peice of cake.... That little setup will give you 400whp no problem.. My buddy has it going on in his LS400 and it rips...

Again Lextreme.com, search and post...Those guys are cool over there and will welcome you and answer all the questions...Lextreme sells most of the turbo parts anyway.... You just need to buy the Garret turbo on Ebay or something....

A good single turbo setup will get the job done for sure......I am thinking of turbo charging my Sc400 any day now myself...... I just didn't want to make my car slower then it is now when riding the NOS....

The Garrett GT35R turbo is a perfect fitting turbo for our 4.0 Liter V8 motors... I have researched all the different sizes and fits.....You will have very little lag and you can boost right up to the stock limits.....

A GT30R would be a perfect match for your 3.0 motor. If you're only looking to lay down 400 whp, GT30's are efficiently capable of that, plus the super quick spool up times would make it a fun car to drive.

Hey JIBBY, get some H&R wheel studs! I'm at 500+ and it's driven everyday, hard.

• 7 months later...
Hi, I'm 16 and I got a 1998 Lexus sc400 for Christmas! It is in perfect condition, no rips, power steering pump replaced, no tears in seats, everything works. I am a proud owner of it. My good friend who is also 16 got a 1995 BMW 540i. Many people think his car looks and out performs my Lexus. The BMW has the same engine size, 4.0 V8. We even got the same color too, Dark Green, but mine is Metallic with the reflection but his is not. I did research on his car it goes 0-60 in 7 seconds as well as mine but his burns more gas. But I have 260hp and the BMW has 286 and it's a manual 6 speed. What do you guys think? Who goes faster??

I know I'm chimming in on this topic late, but forgive me, I'm new here! I owned a 1995 BMW 540i auto for a couple years. I hate to say it, because I've always been a fan of BMW, but the 95 540i was the worst car I've ever owned. I've never had so many problms with a car in my life! It was a nice solid car, but almost everything went wrong with that car, including the engine, which had to be replaced at 57,000 miles due to the factory flaw in materials used. Most don't know this, but when BMW first brought out the V-8 in the 530i, 540i, and 740i, the engine block cylinders were coated with a material called Nikasil. This material degraded rapidly, resulting in loss of compression. The only fix was to replace the engine block. BMW eventually extended the warranty on these cars to cover the flaw, but they had to replace thousands of these engines to the tune of about $14K each. My car not only had the engine replaced, but so many other things went wrong that there isn't enough room to go into it.

Bottom line! Your buddy will probably end up hateing his 540i after some time. In addition, your friend will likely pull you to 100 mph or so, but I'd put my money on the SC400 on the top end! Just be careful if you decide to find out!

If the Lexus SC400 is a 1998 model as stated it should be the first edition of the 290hp vvt-i engine and the newer 5 speed automatic. The 0-60 time would be 6.3 sec and I expect it would be as fast as a manual 1995 BMW540i. The original lexus specs quoted as 260 hp and 0-60 in 7 sec are for the 1996-7 model SC400's. Which is better? That all depends what you are looking for. The BMW is an excellent sedan with excellent performance. The lexus is a touring coupe with a nicer interior and exterior design and room for kids or small adults in the back seat. If I didn't need extra room, I'd take the lexus. I've owned the lexus SC400 coupe, LS sedan and BMW 5 series sedan. My favorite is still the lexus SC400 (1994).