Pre Delivery Damage

My dealer calls me today and tells me that my IS350 is in and when do i want to pick it up?

since it was delayed for a week by the denver blizzard, and another snowstorm is coming this weekend, i say how about tonight or tomorrow. he says fine, and i try calling my wife to tell her to be home to drive me over to the dealer in the evening( this will be an extra car, no trade).

20 min later the dealer calls me again to tell me that the was told by the prep people that the car was damaged during digging around the car the other day. he says that it's some damage on the hood that will need some paint work. he asks if i want the car.

I declined, and now i have to go through the whole process again.

Hopefully this time they will come up with my first choice color SGM.

any thoughts?

is this a lowball ploy, with someone else coming n with a higher bid than me, or does this sound legit or what?

:censored::censored::censored::censored:

You know, I don't care how good their paiint shop is, if they have to break into the primer down to bare metal to fix the paint, then it is more likely to rust there. There will be no electrostatic adhesion from the primer to the bare metal.

I bought mine used, off a lease, and there is paint damage in a couple of places, but I saved $3 - 4K off the price of a new one. It was worth it to me. You're buying a new car.

Years ago (too many to mention) I bought a Fiat 850 Spider (now you know how many years ago), that was damaged in transit. It was painted in this wondrous mustard yellow. The dealer told me they would fix it, and they did - sorta. The door they repainted didn't quite match, but I was young and I was anxious to get the car. But it always bugged me.

I say to hell with the discount. Suck it up and have them get a new one for you. How the hell do they damage the hood on a car while shoveling around it, anyway? Maybe their front end loader dumped snow on the hood and bent it?

Get a new one. Let them sell this one to some other sap. (just call me the grinch) :unsure::angry:

larry

Ditto, get the new one. I made the mistake of taking a repaint once. Several years later the spot began to show up and it bugged me for the remaining life of the car.

Tom

My dealer calls me today and tells me that my IS350 is in and when do i want to pick it up?

since it was delayed for a week by the denver blizzard, and another snowstorm is coming this weekend, i say how about tonight or tomorrow. he says fine, and i try calling my wife to tell her to be home to drive me over to the dealer in the evening( this will be an extra car, no trade).

20 min later the dealer calls me again to tell me that the was told by the prep people that the car was damaged during digging around the car the other day. he says that it's some damage on the hood that will need some paint work. he asks if i want the car.

I declined, and now i have to go through the whole process again.

Hopefully this time they will come up with my first choice color SGM.

any thoughts?

is this a lowball ploy, with someone else coming n with a higher bid than me, or does this sound legit or what?

:censored::censored::censored::censored:

That blows, and not like a blizzard, I believe you are using stevenson lexus correct?, I just took delivery of mine last wednesday, from the stevenson fredrick (I believe we had really close to the same deal) and mine was in good shape and they gave me no static about the price they just wrote it up and delivered it, actually with out all of the needed paperwork which I went back last night and signed. My initial thought would be thay are telling you the truth. I would wait and get another one.

For what it's worth I really like mine so far.

Good luck let us know what you decide.

i'm gonna wait for a new one. spoke to the sales manager today.

i said what's the problem? this is something on the lexus website, all the forums that i belong to(this one and club lexus) state that dealers in calif are bursting with is 350's.

so the sales manager says that most of the is350 are now being built with the x or sport pack, i orderewd luxury pack. gonna have to wait. i told hi i don't want a car from another dealer that's been test driven!!! :chairshot:

I can understand your desire not to have a damaged car, but I don't understand the desire not to have a vehicle from another dealer. Most dealers have demos instead of driving the individual lotted cars. I also would not accept a damaged car, but I wouldn't have an issue with one off the lot. In the grand scheme of your ownership of the car what is 20, 50, or even 100 miles?

I agree with SW03ES opinion. They use a specific car for test drives if they let you do that at all. So another car from another dealer's lot should be of no problems to you. If little or no miles let's say like 10 or less. My SUV which I bouth new had 17 miles more or less.

CPR

I can understand your desire not to have a damaged car, but I don't understand the desire not to have a vehicle from another dealer. Most dealers have demos instead of driving the individual lotted cars. I also would not accept a damaged car, but I wouldn't have an issue with one off the lot. In the grand scheme of your ownership of the car what is 20, 50, or even 100 miles?

With the price of new cars being so high, I would wait for the new one. If you take the repaired one, you will kick yourself in the butt after a few weeks for not waiting. Besides, if the damage is on the front I would definitely not take it. The front of the car takes the brunt of rocks, pollution, road spray, etc. I would want the factory finish. If they were able to repair the car before you took delivery I'm not so sure they would have told you about the damage. I know that when cars come into the point of entry with damage they get fixed and sent on without disclosure. I was releived when I was tracking my MINI Cooper "S" and saw that it was in port for only 2 says before being sent to the dealer. Not enough time for repairs. Good luck.

v/r Greg