Brake Shims?

Hi, I had been trying to find the solution for my front end creaking, and I finally found out from the dealer that my brake shims are rusted. They lubed them, but it wore off in less than a day, so I would like to replace them.

For as long as the noise has persisted, I have had countless mechanics try to pinpoint the source with no sucess. This makes me skeptical to have a non - dealer mechanic fix something that he couldnt find by himself... but if I can avoid the dealer cost, I want to.

Is replacing the shims something that I can do on my own?

What would be the steps involved?

How do I ensure that I get the correct part?

Help, Help, Help :whistles: :cries:

Thanks in advance for some pointers

Put the car up on jackstands, remove wheel, remove the 2 bolts holding the brake caliper to the bracket, replace brake shims.

92 lex, i've never seen a brake shim, or changed a tire for that matter. please spell it out for me :huh: i apprecite it sooo much. Can i get these different lubricants at an auto supply store? or do i order them through the dealer?

thanks, jess

Something like this : http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/brake/fbpad.html

You're not going to have to depress the caliper pistons though.

The "shims" is that thin piece of metal behind the brake pads. Yes, you can purchase the lube at most auto parts stores.

Thanks 92lex,

after some consideration of my mechanical skills, i broke down and had the dealer replace the front fit kit. the back may need to be replaced soon though, so i will begin to prepare my self for this inevitability.

• 2 weeks later...

Something like this : http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/brake/fbpad.html

You're not going to have to depress the caliper pistons though.

The "shims" is that thin piece of metal behind the brake pads. Yes, you can purchase the lube at most auto parts stores.

Thanks 92lex,

after some consideration of my mechanical skills, i broke down and had the dealer replace the front fit kit. the back may need to be replaced soon though, so i will begin to prepare my self for this inevitability.

Just in case you want to tackle this project next time I recommend the spray disc brake quiet. Its worked better for me and it was also cleaner. I cant even imagine what a Lexus dealer would charge for a brake job. I know at Chevy it was a very high. Luckily Im going to school now and will be a full time technician soon. Good luck and hopefully no more creeks.