Spark Change On '03 Es300

Cornfed

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2003 ES300 that has 83k miles on it. Overall it's in great shape, but I looked at the plugs at they appear to be original and will have to be changed in the future. I have looked, but not found a definite process to access the rear plugs. It looks like the upper intake manifold will have to be removed.

I would like to know if anyone else has any other suggestions or tips.

Thanks

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2003 ES300 that has 83k miles on it. Overall it's in great shape, but I looked at the plugs at they appear to be original and will have to be changed in the future. I have looked, but not found a definite process to access the rear plugs. It looks like the upper intake manifold will have to be removed.

I would like to know if anyone else has any other suggestions or tips.

Thanks

actually, it does not have to be removed.

Maybe just the strut bar and with a few extensions and a knuckle (flexible socket joints) it can be done.

There was a post a couple years back that gave a nice step by step.

steviej

• 8 months later...
Yup the only way to access the plugs near the firewall is to remove the intake manifold!

:pirate:

See:

ctually, it does not have to be removed.

Maybe just the strut bar and with a few extensions and a knuckle (flexible socket joints) it can be done.

There was a post a couple years back that gave a nice step by step.

steviej

you don't have to take the manifold off, however you should. as a grossload of maintenance can be done with the intake manifold off. change PCV valves, check for vacuum leaks, clean both intake manifold runners & the throttlebody of buildup. you can do alittle porting if you want :D check/replace the rear valve cover gasket for leaks. just all kinds of good stuff to be done!

Tyler121 dang man! shouldn't take that long at all man. you need proper tools, lol. when i went and turbo'd the 94 camry in mississippi last month the kid that owned the car took the IM off, changed his own plugs, took his fuel rail off & change the injectors (first time doing any kind of car wrenching) by himself with basically a haynes manual inside of an hour whilest i did other things.

and your engine has 1/2 the vacuum lines his has to keep striaght hehehe.

i think half the problem people have is being too dainty with the parts. take them off & put them back on. you don't have to treat them like they're delicate. you wouldn't want to drop the manifold on concrete, or destroy an ignition coil, but it's not like stepping on eggs hehehehe

You definitely do not need to take the intake manifold off. I did it in a few hours and this was my first attempt at a DIY. You just need to take out the PVC valve. The key is to have lots of different size extensions (wobble and regular 1", 3", etc) and universal joint. Once you pop off the ignition coils (the most difficult part), getting the plugs out is a matter of dropping piece by piece your 1) spark plug socket 2) various extensions and u-joints to "build" your way out of the hole. Once you're out of the plug hole, use more extensions to wiggle your way out so you can attach your rachet. For the passenger side, I came out sideways with the rachet. For the middle and driver's side, I came out behind the intake manifold toward the firewall. Must have used about 4-5 different types of extensions, but it was real easy once the coil is out. The middle and driver's side coil have to have their electrical connectors removed, while the passenger side coil does not.

It should be noted that a spark plug socket plus 3" and 1" extensions is just tall enough to peak it's head out of the plug hole. This is the key. Once the spark plug socket plus 3" and 1" extension is peaking out of the hole, you can add a u-joint and another 3" extension to go sideways or any which way to snake the thing out of the area to attach your rachet. Practice this on the front plugs to see how to build these extensions to work your way out of the plug hole. I could be mistaken about the extact number or length of the extensions. Look at the front plug hole to see how tall this needs to be. Kind of like building leggos with extensions. Pretty neat.

btw dont try it with the manifold attached if you dont have a very high quality socket extensions, and 5/8" plug socket.

they are so ungodly terrible for people to put on the plug too tight & not be gental. you unscrew the plug & the GD extension lets go of the socket. just trust me on that, it's a pain in the !Removed! with the front bank, the rear bank would ruin your day trying to fish out lol

(another reason to take the manifold off noone thinks about)