Injen Intake For Sc400?

BFI is good. Yes it is confusing and intimidating, but once you understand how it works it should be easy. You basically have to unscrew some plastic rivets/screws in the middle of the bumper and then pull the black plastic cover down. Cutting the airbox is easy is you have the tools (my saw was too thick so I had to drill 3 holes adjacent to make a thick hole. I did it and it cost me about 10 dollars. But then I bought some aluminum blanket for $15 and used a little to make a heat shield.

So, you've built a BFI? I ask a local mechanic about the BFI and he said that it wasn't the best thing to do, he acted like it was a bad idea and that it might not be good for my SC300 if I did that.

But does yours work??Just curious if he told me wrong.

If the BFI intmidates you I have taken another route for building an intake that so far (I'm about half way through with it) is going quite well. If you're interested then let me know.

Well I've had the BFI for about 2 months now and all I can say is that it should be faster. It's been a while and I've been used to the BFI. In my opinion, I think the revs shoot up to redline faster = more acceleration. Other than that you can hear the air being sucked in at idle. It kind of sounds a faint bath tub with running water. Or a more accurate sound would be the sound of someone inhaling with their mouth barely open. Looks like this ---> :whistles:

The stock airbox is still pretty good these days because manufacturers are trying to get those high mile-per-gallon ratings and better performance per liter displacement. The sc300 stock box should be good (www.planetsoarer.com suggests that the box lets the air flow smoothly for less turbulence). The only problem is that little snorkel. It connects to the airbox and draws cold air (but in little amounts) in the right bumper area. The purpose of the snorkel is probably to draw clean, dry air. So if you live in muddy areas, any aftermarket intake is questionable.

looks like this ----> :whistles:

www.planetsoarer.com suggests a 17 hp gain on a v8 (sc400).

It's crazy how all this information I put in this forum I get from a whole bunch of other sources. I should be the Unofficial LOC Supreme Plagiarizer. :ph34r:

I completed a BFI on my 94 SC300-5sp after seeing the extraordinary posts at planetsoarer.com. I've had it for about two weeks. There is an added urgency about the engine above 50+mph; above 70 it is noticeable and gets your attention. It begs to be wound out. The mod requires a little patience and knowing when something looks right, its all your fabrication and attention to detail. I would recommend this work to anyone with a little know how. Little doubt that this is among the best inexpensive mods you can do for an SC.

When you see the little snokle that is the filter intake you will shake your head in amazement. It is barely the size of one of the twin exhuasts. How this engine could suck enough air at high RPM's, you got me.

Injen is waste of money. It looks nice, but its not worth the money. I also dont think it improve any HP. I have seen two LS400 with it. Injen is nothing special, you can go to your local muffler shop and weld a pipe from your MAF to throttle body. Injen aluminum will heat up by the engine heat and the "cold" air become hot air. BFI would be a better mod and cheaper too. You can also get more info on BFI at www.lextreme.com/BFI.htm. Speaking of BFI, I went to Sam's Club today and noticed at the Tools area, Stanley Clamplight reflector is perfect for the BFI mod. Good luck, if you still want it go for it, but its not worth the money for the gain, but again who am I to say... LOL