Wierd Film Forms On My Windshield

:wacko: So ever since i have owned my car i get this wierd film that forms on the inside of the car. I have tried many different things to clean it but they all tend to make the problem worse(the glass is not foggy but streaky). The wost of the all is plain old rubbing alochol. I have 2 questions what is causing it? and how do i clean it ?

Is it a new car? You know that new car smell everyone loves? Thats whats causing that film. The smell is produced by the plastic "breathing" into the air, and it settles on the windows. Good glass cleaner is all you need.

the vinegar and newspaper does work. I'll back Steve on this one.

I also agree with SW03ES and must say it is not just Lexus. Dodge actually sent out a letter to owners explaining a film that develops due to the plastic releasing a harmless "gas" that will create a film on the window."

just out of curiosity....do you smoke in the car?

steviej

Hey guys thanx for all the help. I will try the vinager and news paper trick. Just FYI Not a new car it is 10 years old, and two i do not smoke, it never occured to me that would be an issue, well because i do not smoke. But i do have to give this forum alot of credit, I have learned more about my car and cars in general then i have from all the books and websites i have access to at my college. Thanks for your help

Sam

If the leather has been recently replaced or you use armorall in the car, the vapors given off will product the same effect on the windows...hazy mess.

I have a 1997 that gets hazy windows. I suspect it's from the leather conditioner I put on the seats.

Also, my mom had an Acura Legend that had all the leather interior replaced and it made the window accumulate film like mad. I just use lots windex and it works well, just make sure you have lots of clean towels. Dirty towels do no good...just smear.

Oh, that gives me a good idea. Steps that one should follow when cleaning glass!

Pre-step: Make sure windows are cool to the touch and in the shade before starting.

Step 1. spray on a huge amount of glass cleaner.

Step 2. use 1 clean paper towel saturated in glass cleaner to smear the cleaner into the hard to reach spots, sides, and all over the window. It should be real messy at this point.

Step 3. grab like 3 dry paper towels and start on one side of the glass and work your way to the other side making sure to not miss spots

Step 4. wait for that to dry completely. Use 2 more paper towels to buff off any residue.

Oh, and I heard that using a newspaper to buff will help. It's something to due w/ the ink. Never tried it though.

Good luck, I'm going to go clean my window and check my cabin filter today now after reading these posts. :lol:

-Jimi

i agree newspaper works extremly well and has been used to clean windows for years.Its a old trick but a good one!also theres a product called invisable glass cleaner and it works totally awsome!its all i use and its great and doesnt use any chemicals.check pepboys or your auto parts store for it.since you dont smoke and the cars 10 years old im not sure why it would film up like that.do you have a leak in the car?is there ever water on your rug?also a heater core causes a film on the windsheild.check into all that just to be safe.hope it helps!