Is The Clear Coat Too Thin ?

RJF

I have a Black 2006 IS350 that I just purchased new 2 weeks ago. Has anyone had trouble with the paint/clear coat ? I had a bird drop on my car it could not have been on there more than an hour before I found it and cleaned it off but it had already etched the paint. Today I found another spot much larger where something like a bird dropping etched into the paint again. I have also found it scratches very very easily. I have owned 5 black cars in the past and never had a problem with the clear coat/paint of a car scratching so easy or bird or enviromental factors causing such problems. The last Lexus I owned was a Red 2004 IS300 and never had these problems. The paint and clear coat was much better and more forgiving. I have waxed this card 3 times with Meguires NXT and did the Meguires polish in between but it seems the clear coat is too soft and or thin to protect the paint .

I had the hood of my rx300 re-painted last May, and whenever bird droppings land on it, it etches the paint, even to this day! It's horrible; they don't even come out fully with the rubbing compounds i have :(

I do know that there is a pretty think later of clearcoat, though. I think it's just caused by the paint not being totally cured :unsure:

The acid content attacks the clear coat regardless of its thickness/condition or protectant used

Bird Excrement:

(Or insect excrement like Gypsy moth, June bug, Honeybees, etc) contain highly acidic concentrates (uric acid (pH 3.0-4.5) which if left for any length of time the will cause the porous clear coat to occlude (a non-transparent ‘clouded’ area) or may cause etching (a depression in the paint or glass surfaces) Heat (vehicle paint temperature of 90oF+) creates a very aggressive reactivity of the acids that are present, which causes surface etching, so they should be removed without delay, at lower temperatures (40oF or less) there s no reactivity and therefore little or no etching.

No wax or polymer sealant can provide a permanent shield against acidic bird excrement (Collinite 845 Insulator Wax is probably the most durable Carnauba wax product) but this may only provide enough of a barrier to enable it to be removed quickly before causing too much damage to the paint film surface.

Birds use gravel to help digest their food so grit and sand are some of the major components, which can cause scratching. Insect honeydew (sometimes mistaken for tree resin) excreted by aphids or scale insects that infest the leaves and branches is also acidic. Residue should be removed (see below) as soon as possible as it could compromise the clear coat.

Take your time and be careful with its removal, these acids should be removed and/or neutralized as quickly as possible. Using an IPA (isopropyl alcohol) no ammonia based (ammonia acts as an acid accelerant) glass cleaner or a gel alcohol hand cleaner (Purell®) place a small amount on to a first aid gauze pad and apply to effected area this will help it stay in place during the necessary dwell time. The alcohol content, acts as a drying agent, which will extract the acid, then thoroughly flush with water to rinse away any grit or sand, etc or use detailers clay to encapsulate it, re-spray the area let it dwell for 2-3 minutes and wipe dry.

I have a Black 2006 IS350 that I just purchased new 2 weeks ago. Has anyone had trouble with the paint/clear coat ? I had a bird drop on my car it could not have been on there more than an hour before I found it and cleaned it off but it had already etched the paint. Today I found another spot much larger where something like a bird dropping etched into the paint again. I have also found it scratches very very easily. I have owned 5 black cars in the past and never had a problem with the clear coat/paint of a car scratching so easy or bird or enviromental factors causing such problems. The last Lexus I owned was a Red 2004 IS300 and never had these problems. The paint and clear coat was much better and more forgiving. I have waxed this card 3 times with Meguires NXT and did the Meguires polish in between but it seems the clear coat is too soft and or thin to protect the paint .

The place I take my girl to get detailed... gets mad at me for not going back to Lexus and complain about the paint.... He says the paint on the hood is flawed... He loves the car... and everyone always stand and stare at her... but they can not believe how cheap the paint is... :cries:

The paint on the car should be the same as the paint on your 04 IS. Lexus paint is pretty soft, thats what causes the swirling. As for the bird etchings, you'd be surprised how they sometimes will just dissapear with soap or vinegar or something like that.