Finally Ready To Pull The Trigger!

mannye

Yessir! Getting an '04 LS 430 as soonas I find one either private or at a local dealer.

It's taking a while because, I guess like everybody else, I'm waiting for a good deal. I'm hoping to find an ultra-lux model for 40K oe less if I can. So far they are all above 40, but I figure with the new 460 coming out I should be able to get someone to bite on 40 or less soon enough.

Good luck and don't rule out the Custom Luxury package if you are not interested in the cooler, massage and Sound controls in the back on the Ultra. I like the pass through from the trunk on mine rather than the cooler. Good for 2x4's ...lol.

Good luck and don't rule out the Custom Luxury package if you are not interested in the cooler, massage and Sound controls in the back on the Ultra. I like the pass through from the trunk on mine rather than the cooler. Good for 2x4's ...lol.

LOL...2X4s that's what the MDX is for ;)

The Ultra is my goal, and yes... the back seat stuff is what's really makes it an interesting package for me...but if I do find a Custom Luxury package at a good price and low miles, I'll bite. The true dealbreakers for me are the Mark Levinson system and the air conditioned seats...here in Miami, land of heat, those aren't really a luxury. I'm sick and tired of arriving at meetings with my back soaking wet from 120 degree seats...

Honestly, if you're looking to keep this car over the long haul, don't get the Ultra package. The ML system and the cooled seats are availiable on all the packages, and the Ultra has the air suspension which is extremely expensive to replace. My dad has an 04 Ultra, and the rear seat stuff is cool, but it rides pretty much the same as an ordinary LS430, and the seat stuff is just a novelty that wears off.

Is that air suspension otherwise known as the "Sport" suspension? What usually fails on that? The bags?

A co-worker of mine had a Lincoln Mark VIII (I think it was an 8) and he had all sorts of problems with his air suspension...a couple grand worth.

Would an extended warranty cover it? I do plan on keeping this car for a while..

Although I don't have an LS430 i do believe that sport suspension (euro tuned in lexus talk) is just slightly stiffer springs. I think the Air suspension can vary from sporty to normal to comfort. I would just buy the "euro tuned" if i were you.

The Euro Tuned suspension is stiffer steel springs, bushings and recalibrated shocks (and I believe the larger wheels and tire package was included). This was a stand-alone option that could be had with any combination of packages except the Ultralux package.

The Air suspension (Ultralux only) replaces the coil springs and shock absorbers with an integrated Air-spring/shock unit, with adjustable damping and height selection. It's very slick as far as these things go. However when the rubber pouch or the integrated shock starts leaking the whole unit has to be replaced; which can be very expensive; although several dealers told me this does not become an issue until about 120,00-150,000 miles, but I'm sure depending on climate and use YMMV.

I ended up buying an Ultra because the sport and Custom Luxury models were very hard to find here in Southern California (the sport models seem to be rather rare); my ideal car would have been a sport CL but that package seems to be harder to find until you hit the 2003+ model years.

That said the fridge is nice on hot days; and the rear sunshades keep the car cooler during the summer. The rear seat? I have yet to sit in it while the car is moving....so the controls and massagers are kind of lost on me.

Not lost on my friends though....all of a sudden nobody else wants to/feels like/can handle driving anymore.

:)

I think if you find a car in good condition in a color combo you like with a good service history that should be more important than the differentiation between the two packages as far as ride. You can read my diabtribe about my back to back comparison between the two LS models at this link; but if you have decent roads where you live you honestly won't notice that much of a difference; I think tire choice is almost as important.

ML is fantastic however..definitely worth the $$